Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

Only just caught up with this after a day out with the family. 

Nothing for me here on the first run, which my wallet is pleased about.

What do we think? Bachman to release three/ four every few months?

I’m keeping an eye out for a large logo and early intercity executive please! And maybe a rail freight grey one...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, IRC said:

What do we think? Bachman to release three/ four every few months?

You'd think so given the money they have spent, but they haven't been doing much with the 90 or the 158 tooling (that we are aware of) have they?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, younGGuns7 said:

I have noted in my files seeing 1607 @ Cardiff on the 28/12/73 fitted with ETH, now I think that would be a decent model, I am not an expert but were there many ETH pre TOPS Cl 47's? 

Yes, quite a lot of them, from 1970 onwards. Almost all were in standard blue - the version with single central arrow and bodyside numbers beside the cab doors, a very common livery spanning 5 years which AFAIK no manufacturer has ever produced, in any scale! - but there were the inevitable exceptions. The last two built D1960/1 outshopped in blue with cabside arrows and bodyside numbers were ETH-equipped from new (D1960 was renumbered 47514 like this); the WR's first two ETH conversions in late 1971 - D1932 blue with cabside numbers and bodyside arrows & D1936 in two-tone green - were later renumbered 47493 & 47494 respectively still in these liveries. D1103/5/6/8/9/10 also received ETH while still in green and remained so when renumbered 47520/2/3/5/6/7. D1103 was still running around with D prefixes in 1973!

• Informative/Useful 1

On 03/08/2021 at 19:58, G-BOAF said:

what is the difference between the two window frames?

Can you post pictures to illutrate?

Apologies for the delay in a reply.

The difference is actually quite subtle, especially in 4mm, so probably not worth getting too bothered about it. 

1. Crewe built: The Crewe loco's had split 'eye-brows' above the cab windows, with a noticeable gap between the two.

image.png.7dcb441044b280e5d746bde2be4d1345.png

2. Brush built: Brush locos had a similar brow which met in the middle, a mono-brow if you will. There is also a very subtle rim running vertically between the two windows, although its very hard to see on a clean example like below. From what I've seen, this doesn't seem to feature on Crewe built examples but I may be wrong. 

image.png.15ac89b54f2d6e5aae1d14bbdb118230.png

Looking at the EP, it would generally appear to represent the Brush examples more so than Crewe, although the vertical rim seems a tad heavy. As a result, where it meets the brow, it makes it appear more divided like on a Crewe built loco.

May benefit from scoring a line along the top if you want a Brush loco? 

image.png.171dc7eb9c408a03bc125959d7ad1614.png

I doubt it will really show up on the model, the decorated samples certainly don't show much of a bias. The old Bachmann models appeared to resemble the Crewe built locos, but again it was so subtle you could hardly tell. 

Regards,

Cameron

• Informative/Useful 2

Does anyone know if the model will have opening cab doors? 

For such an expensive and detailed model it would be a bit of a disappointment if it didn't, considering other cheaper Bachmann models (eg class 37) have this feature. I know many people don't care for them, but it would be nice to have the ability to pose them open if the modeller so chooses. I've done this with a few Hornby/ Bachmann locos and it looks very effective.

1 minute ago, scottrains29 said:

For such an expensive and detailed model it would be a bit of a disappointment if it didn't, considering other cheaper Bachmann models (eg class 37) have this feature. I know many people don't care for them, but it would be nice to have the ability to pose them open if the modeller so chooses. I've done this with a few Hornby/ Bachmann locos and it looks very effective.

I'm not aware of any other Bachmann loco's having opening doors?! That was a Hornby thing was it not?

6 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

I'm not aware of any other Bachmann loco's having opening doors?! That was a Hornby thing was it not?

The Bachmann class 37 has them and I think possibly others. Dapol also have them on the new class 59. It's not just a Hornby thing.

Edited by scottrains29
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was excited to see the release of the all new, singing and dancing Class 47, as well as doubly excited when they announced 47828 in IC Swallow as I’d seen the real thing a couple of weeks ago at Peterborough.  I think I’m going to hold back for awhile as I think I’d be more interested in a Colas or West Coast version, if they are ever released.

799AA13F-CD07-41C5-A552-39984D96B243.jpeg

FE05B023-5DC5-4B00-AAFB-7810DE6C082E.jpeg

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, D9502 said:

I didn't see a driver figure! It's a bit of a pet hate of mine to see a loco moving but no crew.

I'm glad that they stopped putting driver figures...They looked so toy-like and plasticky. And they looked absolutely comical going backwards with a driver in the wrong cab

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I am slightly disappointed they didn’t tool up new seperate snow ploughs and are sticking with the one piece bogie mounted option. Hornby managed to do it with the Class 50 way back in 2003. Close up taken from original post. 

200F1029-330D-43AA-A3CE-EA2F8ED4A570.jpeg

Just as I mentioned in an earlier post, all that money spent and you cannot detail the buffer beam when snowploughs fitted and 3 of first 5 models were fitted with snowploughs.

Hornby and Heljan both managed to supply body mounted snowploughs.

All that superb etching, they could have done ploughs also I would have thought.

Shame, as rest of the model looks stunning and looking forward to the Scotrail model to go with DBSO (they never had ploughs fitted)

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

To my mind the opening doors (as currently manufactured) don't look quite right to me as it makes the gaps around the edges appear to large for the scale. Hence I'd argue having them is not a 'free option' as it detracts from the appearance of the model in my opinion. I'm please they're not a feature on this model

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

8 minutes ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

I might buy a West Coast or ROG livery one (although the latter have recently been sold/gone elsewhere).

Holding out for a parcels livery (and maybe even an apple green version) if/when available. I wonder if the fact that these have both been previously been manufactured by Bachmann for their previous tooling makes it more or less likely to see them for the new tooling? 

13 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

I was gonna say, none of my Bachmann 37's have them!!!

The refurb 37s had them in their initial releases. They were then dropped on more recent releases (c.2012 onwards?) and also on the unrefurb 37s.

Just now, Henners84 said:

Depends if they fancy competing with accurascale 

It would be better if they revisited their peaks instead, as Accurascale will undoubtedly become the new class 37 masters as they go through the different variations over time. 

But 37's (like 47's), will always sell better than peaks, so who knows...

Cameron

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The 158 Man said:

Well they don't seem to mind competing with Hornby or Heljan. :laugh_mini:

Remember these models have been in development for quite a long time. I would think that given how well advanced Bachmann's 47 is, it was probably on the drawing board well before Heljan announced their own. 

Cameron

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

Remember these models have been in development for quite a long time. I would think that given how well advanced Bachmann's 47 is, it was probably on the drawing board well before Heljan announced their own. 

Cameron

Agree, I think Bachmann had probably started work first. It's an interesting philosophy in developing in the background and then announcing only when ready. I presume Bachmann back themselves to be better than their competitors given the resources they have and therefore don't mind the risk. If Bachmann were nervous of competition I would have expected an announcement from them at the same time Heljan announced. Not sure if I was a manufacturer whether I'd announce at the R&D stage or do as Bachmann do. I do find Bachmann's approach of quietly getting on with things more refreshing than Hornby's very aggressive strategy of appearing to rush models through to deliberately compete with new manufacturers and force them out the market. I think all this competition is great for advancements in quality 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 minutes ago, The 158 Man said:

Indeed a good point although my immediate thoughts ran to the competing Mk1s and Mk2s from Hornby and the 25 from Heljan rather than the 47.

As I mentioned earlier I'm such a newbie these days having been away from the hobby for so long, so what's the score with the current Bachmann Peaks? Do they lights, seperate detailing, smooth motors etc? On par with the 37?

For all those models you mention, Bachmann got their first. Their super detail Mk1 was on the market well over a decade before Hornby produced their own. Bachmann also announced their MK2F before Hornby did their MK2E & MK2F. Finally Bachmann have always done a class 25, and they announced their retool (yet to be seen though) about 6 months before Heljan announced their 25/3.

As for peaks, Bachmann recently released a better detailed class 45/0 with 'sealed beam' marker lights, although it was essentially the same body that they've been using for years and the chassis was untouched. Other class 45 and 46 tooling's still have some errors, while the 44 is generally correct. All are starting to show their age now though compared to the new models entering the market, like this 47, which are far more refined. They are all light fitted now and run as smooth as any Bachmann loco.

Cameron

Edited by Mophead45143

It is very clear that the Bachmann 47 is a response to Accurascale, especially re engine room details and lights and depth of varients possible. Possibly the 47 started when the accurascale 37 wss announced and Bachmann felt the need to maintain their stake in the 47. Im just surprised if Bachmann have this ability to respoind it wasnt done sooner. Ever since the Hornby 60 and 08/09 and until Bachmann's 90 (and BP in terms of dmu) Bachmann's d&e offerings have been lagging behind a little in terms of detail and pushing the boundaries on detail and technology.

Either way, good that competition is driving innovation and better products.

Edited by G-BOAF