Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

1 minute ago, KT said:

Does he spend 8 hours a day deleting extremely obvious, and quite justified, comments?

I expect it is more that the people who watch it are like minded and therefore the comments you mention aren't that common. I aren't sure if I have ever commented on any of the videos of his I have watched, but if I did and they were getting deleted rather than being able to have a discussion, then I'd soon lose what little interest I had in it.

16 minutes ago, KT said:

What I don't understand, is that Sam makes endless comments that evidence an entire ignorance of extremely basic economics and the costs of manufacture, together with what seems to me to be a mild vendetta against Bachmann, and the behaviour of an 8 year old; scooting his toys down the carpet.

Yet the comments section seems to leave him largely unscathed for his manifest failings.

Does he spend 8 hours a day deleting extremely obvious, and quite justified, comments?

Not only Bachmann, but Hornby too.

In some instances these comments are justified in relation to QC.

Sam bangs on about full metal bodies on locos and value for money, but seems to be oblivious to the substantial price differential if this actually was the norm. 

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I expect it is more that the people who watch it are like minded and therefore the comments you mention aren't that common. I aren't sure if I have ever commented on any of the videos of his I have watched, but if I did and they were getting deleted rather than being able to have a discussion, then I'd soon lose what little interest I had in it.

I raised the sound chip prices yesterday on his channel and he replied and reiterated the idea that they are cheap to make (ignoring the whole profit element for manufacturers, as he seems to think customers shouldnget produflcts at cost price)

Someone else has commented on there that the 'old men elsewhere' (presumably rmweb) are jealous of Sams popularity. Well whoever wrote that and is reading this is clearly as ignorant as Sam is. It is not about popularity (shock horror there is more to life than soc. media popularity, like real life, friends and professional communities). It is about appreciating fine models and recognising the cost of such and not expecting this quality at pocket money prices. Its about the complexity of manufacturers business and supply chains and realising that idiotic criticism based on price will drive down quality and that we will all suffer.

The class 47 illustrates this. There IS a growing chasm between the hgh and and toy end. Im sure many kn here would rather a few top notch models to fifty 1980s rehashes.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, KT said:

What I don't understand, is that Sam makes endless comments that evidence an entire ignorance of extremely basic economics and the costs of manufacture, together with what seems to me to be a mild vendetta against Bachmann, and the behaviour of an 8 year old; scooting his toys down the carpet.

Yet the comments section seems to leave him largely unscathed for his manifest failings.

If you'd never seen a train , didn't know what one was and had never been in a model shop at all , I'd imagine you'd think he was an expert !

anyway we digress again 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Fortunately we are In a good position with some models. You can have for..

£200 a nice new retooled 47

£150 a nice older Bachmann model

£100ish an older Heljan model or Vitrains model  

£70 a Hornby/Lima railroad model

£40 or less the older Lima or Hornby model.

Something 47 shaped for all people's budget. 

I will resist the temptation to comment on YouTube videos however I do think that putting locos in the deep freeze then seeing if they run after to be bizzare

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Just block Sam's trains on Youtube. I have as I have no interest in anything he has to say and then the channel never comes up or is suggested by Youtube. Highly recommended.

Back to the 47. Looks very good so far. I hope it is a success and I look forward to other variations in future.

• Agree 4
  • Round of applause 2

19 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Are the NEM pockets bogie mounted or cam/spring mounted?

I was struggling to tell when looking at the arrangement for the snowploughs. On one shot on the video I thought it looked body mounted and then another I thought it looked bogie mounted!

2 hours ago, KT said:

Who cares?  

There's all sorts of crap on the internet and if you don't rate somebody's youtube clips why waste your time watching them?

I take the the same view of many the so-called experts and "celebrities" who are always on the telly - it does have an off switch.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

19 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Who is going to be the first to go to town on weathering their first new 'Four and a half'....?

Probably me now I've discovered the joy of cheap eye makeup as weathering pigment.  I've pre-ordered the Intercity version, so will mainly be doing the underframe as they did try to keep the ICS Duffs reasonably clean in the mid-90s.  Sometimes less is more.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Who cares?  

There's all sorts of crap on the internet and if you don't rate somebody's youtube clips why waste your time watching them?

I take the the same view of many the so-called experts and "celebrities" who are always on the telly - it does have an off switch.

I watched Sam just the once. I can't even remember now what it was that he was showing. It was so awfu. I will not be watching another.

Not that he is the only one. Have they not thought about preparing a script in advance? Rehearsing? Editing?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Who cares?  

Well yes, I understand that point of view. But, his channel directs a great deal of people, and therefore money, toward, or away from, the products he reviews. If it is based on nonsense, personal bias - or worse, then it is somewhat damaging to manufacturers. And most unfairly.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, KT said:

Like a lot of social media "influencers", he is both playing to an audience and gaming the YouTube algorithms.

With just over 100k subscribers he will have qualified for a Silver Award, and at a guess having an active discussion area gets him other benefits in the ranking algorithms and ad views so he is (intentionally or accidentally) playing to that audience that are eager to comment and reinforce his views.

• Like 1

Now let us change this subject, as its about the new, and in my opinion brilliant Class 47 from Bachmann. 

The model to me is well thought out, tooled up for multiple variations, the subject and detailing differences on these locos is complex all, of which Bachmann seem have taken on board, so in my honest opinion the model and ambition of Bachmann is excellent. Its a tough world out there, so anyone with a spare One Million to waist, then get on and bring out a loco yourself.

This industry needs inovation & enthusiasm to move away from the Lima days, to put things in perspective I look back to when I had just started work, and steam locos were still at Holbeck (55A).  My wage was £5 Pounds, 10 Shillings & 6 Pence per week, the bus to work was 8 Pence and I started my journey into model trains.  I called at the Trainshop Supermarket in Bradford and saw a Triang TT Britannia (With spoked wheels) !!! for the same price as my wage was, so  I put down a deposit and eventually bought it.  To sum up, What is todays average wage, as the bus fare is £1.30

Well done Bachmann for announcing the Best loco so far (Even pegging with the SLW 24)

They should be thanked, as at the end of the day, IF its too expensive then it will not sell, but try to find a New Bachmann 47 wtth working fans, they seem to be all sold out.

Charlie

• Like 5
  • Agree 9
  • Round of applause 3

1 minute ago, charliepetty said:

Now let us change this subject, as its about the new, and in my opinion brilliant Class 47 from Bachmann. 

The model to me is well thought out, tooled up for multiple variations, the subject and detailing differences on these locos is complex all, of which Bachmann seem have taken on board, so in my honest opinion the model and ambition of Bachmann is excellent. Its a tough world out there, so anyone with a spare One Million to waist, then get on and bring out a loco yourself.

This industry needs inovation & enthusiasm to move away from the Lima days, to put things in perspective I look back to when I had just started work, and steam locos were still at Holbeck (55A).  My wage was £5 Pounds, 10 Shillings & 6 Pence per week, the bus to work was 8 Pence and I started my journey into model trains.  I called at the Trainshop Supermarket in Bradford and saw a Triang TT Britannia (With spoked wheels) !!! for the same price as my wage was, so  I put down a deposit and eventually bought it.  To sum up, What is todays average wage, as the bus fare is £1.30

Well done Bachmann for announcing the Best loco so far (Even pegging with the SLW 24)

They should be thanked, as at the end of the day, IF its too expensive then it will not sell, but try to find a New Bachmann 47 wtth working fans, they seem to be all sold out.

Charlie

Best loco, after your 156 Charlie? Surely.....? ;)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, charliepetty said:

Charlie

Thats quite a bold statement for a model not even released yet.

Agree its good to see Bachmann raising the bar and also good to see their ambition. That said the only thing that Bachmann are doing that SLW haven't done already are the fans (and remember Hornby did 'working' fans 10+ years ago).

On the Class 24 thread there are some interesting comparison photo's of the Bachmann 24 and the SLW version. What is immediately apparent in comparison is the finesse of the SLW tooling.  If  Bachmann can tool to the same standard as SLW then we can talk about the best loco so far. Just before the SLW 25 comes out.......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, charliepetty said:

Charlie

Hi Charlie if you or fellow RMwebbers are looking for a 47012 with working fans, Model Railways Direct of Portishead near Bristol have some still available to preorder (just checked). Preordered mine last night.

No connection except a satisfied customer of theirs.

neil 

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/locomotive-diesel-electric/Bachmann-35-411sfx-class-47-0-47012-br-blue

edit : now sold out

Edited by Downendian
Sold out

11 hours ago, KT said:

In a word, yes.  Add a 'shadow ban' as well so that those afronted don't know that their criticisms are only viewable by themselves.

He's a youtuber.  He has to generate views to keep going.  More likes, more views, more income.  If you don't like him, just block him and block any google news feeds.  I doubt it'll have much effect - the interest in him here suggests his income is likely to remain strong.  And fwiw, i'm not a fan of his.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Thats quite a bold statement for a model not even released yet.

Agree its good to see Bachmann raising the bar and also good to see their ambition. That said the only thing that Bachmann are doing that SLW haven't done already are the fans (and remember Hornby did 'working' fans 10+ years ago).

On the Class 24 thread there are some interesting comparison photo's of the Bachmann 24 and the SLW version. What is immediately apparent in comparison is the finesse of the SLW tooling.  If  Bachmann can tool to the same standard as SLW then we can talk about the best loco so far. Just before the SLW 25 comes out.......

Mr Sutton (SLW) should have done a Class 37 or Class 47 years ago, they would outstrip Class 24 sales 20 Twenty Fold, but he has done what he has done, with tooling well thought out and doing as far as I could see every version, its a great model locomotive.  There are excellent DMUs out there too, but people like locomotives, from what I can see the Bachmann 47 looks to be better than most others to date and equal to SLW, the speakers will let Bachmann down in my opinion, time will tell.

Charlie

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Not that he is the only one. Have they not thought about preparing a script in advance? Rehearsing? Editing?

Nope.  Youtube is full of movie star wannabees who haven't got a clue about anything. 

Don't waste your time with the morons, cherish the handful of good ones out there.

As for it being unfair on manufacturers, yes if I were one of their marketing managers it might well keep me awake at night, it is but business is unfair and success depends on good luck as much as having good products.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, charliepetty said:

Mr Sutton (SLW) should have done a Class 37 or Class 47 years ago, they would outstrip Class 24 sales 20 Twenty Fold, but he has done what he has done, with tooling well thought out and doing as far as I could see every version, its a great model locomotive.  There are excellent DMUs out there too, but people like locomotives, from what I can see the Bachmann 47 looks to be better than most others to date and equal to SLW, the speakers will let Bachmann down in my opinion, time will tell.

Charlie

Oh I see  - you mean 'best' as in most likely to sell in big numbers. Agree in that case - the class 47 is likely the best model to pick if you want to maximise sales and it then makes sense to pack it with functionality (or gimmicks depending on your outlook) which can support a higher price and a higher profit margin.  So as a manufacturer committed to a wide range a Class 47 is indeed a wise choice on Bachmanns part (and indeed on Heljans part!). 

I dont think SLW are in the same market as Bachmann - Mr Suttons main motivation seems to be to make the ultimate models of Sulzer Type 2's and in this he is being hugely successful - in fact he can't make enough of them!

Re your observation about the speakers - It will be interesting to see the chassis of the forthcoming Heljan 47, if it follows the path of their recent Type 2 it may be more amenable to fitting larger and better speakers (like your EM2) than the Bachmann which seems pretty stuffed with chassis block, circuit board, fan motors and lights already.

6 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Oh I see  - you mean 'best' as in most likely to sell in big numbers. Agree in that case - the class 47 is likely the best model to pick if you want to maximise sales and it then makes sense to pack it with functionality (or gimmicks depending on your outlook) which can support a higher price and a higher profit margin.  So as a manufacturer committed to a wide range a Class 47 is indeed a wise choice on Bachmanns part (and indeed on Heljans part!). 

I dont think SLW are in the same market as Bachmann - Mr Suttons main motivation seems to be to make the ultimate models of Sulzer Type 2's and in this he is being hugely successful - in fact he can't make enough of them!

Re your observation about the speakers - It will be interesting to see the chassis of the forthcoming Heljan 47, if it follows the path of their recent Type 2 it may be more amenable to fitting larger and better speakers (like your EM2) than the Bachmann which seems pretty stuffed with chassis block, circuit board, fan motors and lights already.

The Class 37 would be more popular than a Class 47, but that's covered I think !!

but the Class 47 is a inspired choice for Bachmann, and it looks quality.

Today people expect more, but you will 'never' please the Lima brigade as they are catered for by the Railroad range, but they will still moan.

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, charliepetty said:

The Class 37 would be more popular than a Class 47, but that's covered I think !!

but the Class 47 is a inspired choice for Bachmann, and it looks quality.

Today people expect more, but you will 'never' please the Lima brigade as they are catered for by the Railroad range, but they will still moan.

What’s the Lima brigade ? Some sort of Italian light infantry ?

• Funny 4