Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

1 hour ago, The 158 Man said:

Returning to the 47, is 47828 correct for both its BR days and its current state?

There was a bit of talk about that in the firs to few pages. It's not quite the same now.

Edit, here is my last post on it which I think was the last with anything regarding differences

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/166210-Bachmann-announce-new-class-47/&do=findComment&comment=4531941

Edited by TomScrut

On 04/08/2021 at 13:14, TomScrut said:

I have done a bit more looking and the radiator end is different too, it has lamps in the headcode panels at this end nowadays, it didn't in the 90s. Interestingly though most of the pics I can see that end is normally at the back and so out of sight.

Also the small rectangles painted on the model aren't on it at the moment.

So from what I can tell, from looking and from yours and others posts on here, the differences so far between the model and the loco as preserved (to be clear I know that is not the subject of the model) are:

MW Jumpers

Headcode lights at radiator end

OHLE signs

Checkerplate under doors

Rectangles down bodyside in white area

Also, I think the Swallow on the side of model that we can see is incorrect for 1990s and is actually how it is currently, but when I asked Bachmann they have said that it will be corrected on the production run. This would therefore make it different than it’s preserved (and incorrect!) position. 

Hope that makes sense?!

ie the swallow wings should be tilted in the same direction as INTERCITY. Although I believe even BR got it wrong sometimes! 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, here's what I ended up doing currently work in progress on the workbench, and jolly satisfying it is too. I will almost definitely treat myself to the new Bachmann 47 in due course, but it will be at a point when one is in stock somewhere and I have the cash to spend. Pre ordering an expensive loco means I can't guarantee having the funds when they arrive as stuff happens.

20210827_135919.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 25/08/2021 at 16:56, brushman47544 said:

For me the main issues are the cab window rivets on the earlier liveries without the headlight and the lack of detail around the bogies, so for me an upgrade is more than welcome. But I agree in terms of general shape I don't expect enough differences for them to look out of place alongside each other.

Indeed, I removed the rivets around the windows and corrected the class 57 details on the bogies etc. They look alright now.

• Agree 1

Good luck to Bachmann with this model. Everyone has there interests, me it’s the Scottish highland line in the late 80’s so just hope for Rail blue, large logo, Intercity and Scotrail versions. Plus please do the water tanks, battery boxes etc as spare parts so it will make it easier to customise models as realistically every model can’t be done. Lastly hoping the exchange rate downunder gets better, the suggested price for a base model is high. 

• Moderators

Apologies for the audio on this when we're talking when the 47 fires up; this was down to the audio file corrupting on the mic I had under the desk on the other side.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

21 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Apologies for the audio on this when we're talking when the 47 fires up; this was down to the audio file corrupting on the mic I had under the desk on the other side.

Great video! As a DC user it’s extremely tempting to bump up my orders to at least one sound one just to give it a go! Loving these in depth chats, hope to see more in the future. Cheers

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

[wishlist]

Did the 'interesting stuff' include an SR U class at all...? ;)

[/wishlist]

Nice to hear the fan sound. I think, though, that when latched is sounds like there's a 'running over rail joins' sound in the recording, making using it latched sound a little odd...?

It is a very impressive-looking model indeed.

Great clarity in the discussion, where able!

Loving that glazing as well - very nice touch.

I still think they've another notch on the belt missing - needs a smoke generator.

I remember the simultaneous departure at '5 past the hour' of an electric, heading South, and a 47-hauled trans-Pennine from Lime Street, the 47 revving up for some time before departure - the electric mere seconds before, when the fans kick in as power is required!

Al.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ian J. said:

[wishlist]

Did the 'interesting stuff' include an SR U class at all...? ;)

[/wishlist]

Nice to hear the fan sound. I think, though, that when latched is sounds like there's a 'running over rail joins' sound in the recording, making using it latched sound a little odd...?

I agree with U.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/08/2021 at 16:41, rob D2 said:

None taken.

No I get your point - I know class 47s aren’t used on yellow trains , but that was just a generic dig at the one off kinda trains that appear every five minutes at exhibitions .

That's my layout concept b*ggered........

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

That's my layout concept b*ggered........

Not at all, your layout is all about the yellow !

But you probably get my gist - in a MU based railway like we have , charters , stock  moves, the yellow peril and steam specials probably come round on a lot of layouts more often than the reality .

Just thinking what a “ modern modeller “ ( ie.the last decade ) would need more than a couple of 47s for .

Edited by rob D2

54 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

But you probably get my gist - in a MU based railway like we have , charters , stock  moves, the yellow peril and steam specials probably come round on a lot of layouts more often than the reality .

In fairness chances are anyone modelling modern day has a disproportionate amount of freight and loco hauled stuff, whether it be the ones in your list or regular services. There aren't enough units on the market really to get the realism.

I am 2020 York area ECML and the only 2 units I have are a Northern 153 and 150. 2 LNER 800s on order when Hornby get round to making them, but I aren't exactly spoilt for choice as to what to have as passenger services. Even getting more LNER (opening up to 2019 with a HST, and 91/MK4 set) would just make it disproportionately express service biased. At least 68/mk5s will be available in the future.

OTOH I also think quite a few 47s get through York on charters so I am interested here for a modern day one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Markwj said:

Thanks for the video really whetted the appetite, obviously Andy was impressed but the enthusiasm and commitment from the Bachmann lads was good to see too clearly they are proud of their new product.

The stunner for me was in the start sequence all the lights dimmed as the batteries pumped their amps into turning over the Sulzer. That really is a top shelf piece of action Bachmann and you should be very smug. I doubt you could ever exceed that feature by having opening Serck shutters so rest on your laurels - well deserved

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Covkid said:

The stunner for me was in the start sequence all the lights dimmed as the batteries pumped their amps into turning over the Sulzer. That really is a top shelf piece of action Bachmann and you should be very smug. I doubt you could ever exceed that feature by having opening Serck shutters so rest on your laurels - well deserved

Well accurascale have real flushing toilets in their new Mk2s, a proper big job achievement which will make everyone's four foot that little more realistic. 

• Funny 9

13 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Well accurascale have real flushing toilets in their new Mk2s, a proper big job achievement which will make everyone's four foot that little more realistic. 

Yeah, but it's no good if the height of the crapperz doesn't match other manufacturerz coachez !!!!

• Funny 2

If they want a sound effect, I still have secreted on my external hard drive a WAV sound effect I made of a very constipated man letting go which I wanted to put into a passenger view on Microsoft Train Simulator 1, set in a lavatory, involving photo real textures I actually took somewhere between Dublin and Drogheda.  I didn't get my way sadly so "crapper-cam" never appeared, but the sound effect is still around.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, woodenhead said:

But we're all looking forward to Sam's Trains testing them on his carpet and explaining to his parents it wasn't him that did it.

Oh give me a home

Where the Accurascales roam…

And I’ll show you a house with a messy carpet! 

• Funny 7