Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Anybody got a photo of the internals ?

is it a step up from the running if the older one, which was a rather Grindy  beast 

My experience of the previous version of the 47 is the same as for all my Bachmann diesels - smooth and virtually silent. When a Bachmann diesel does get growly it’s usually time for a pinhead drop of suitable oil on the motor bearings. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 31/12/2021 at 13:57, MikeParkin65 said:

My experience of the previous version of the 47 is the same as for all my Bachmann diesels - smooth and virtually silent. When a Bachmann diesel does get growly it’s usually time for a pinhead drop of suitable oil on the motor bearings. 

Oh fair enough. My 47s are rather weak performers , all a tad noisy and nowhere near as good as a decent Hornby runner.

in contrast most  of the 37s , and the 45 are excellent and quiet 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, taliesin said:

Well it appears that the blue and green sfx versions have sold out unless anyone knows different? 

Pretty much sold out on pre order I think. Kernow advertised  a green one on Facebook soon after release (presumably a cancelled order) for full RRP and that is the only one I’ve seen. 

10 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

They sold out a few weeks ago, if not earlier.  Blue SFXs are like the proverbial rocking horse droppings.

Well i hope Bachmann take heed of the Blue & Green SFX  versions popularity and put them into production again. I dithered about pre ordering, and missed out. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, steveb860 said:

Well i hope Bachmann take heed of the Blue & Green SFX  versions popularity and put them into production again. I dithered about pre ordering, and missed out. 

Yep - these are two everyday liveries Br Green + BR TOPS Blue domino headcode rather than special celebrities. As such they would have made up the bulk of locos in their day. Easy to add extras should an owner wish. Far harder to remove things like cantrail stripe or other adornments. Lets hope for further similar and useful run of the mill examples!

• Agree 1

The deluxe versions pretty much sold out within a day or two - I know I dithered for 24hrs before deciding to go for a deluxe Intercity 47, only to find they had sold out everywhere.  Others have suggested it's probably due to them being a strictly limited run, possibly a "toe in the water" exercise by Bachmann to test the market for added value items, which sounds more than plausible, but I was nonetheless astonished to see just how quickly they sold out in not just the big box shifters but a number of smaller outfits I also use.

• Agree 2

I’m amazed at the popularity of the most expensive variant . But maybe there was not many made and thus they sold out …. Even if I still earn’t a big salary , I wouldn’t be able to justify to myself £300 plus on an OO Loco

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd suggest that it might in part be that it is just after Xmas so people probably got money for Xmas, further enhanced by Omicron killing off a lot of normal Xmas pressie shopping?

40 minutes ago, Brian Indge said:

Bure Valley Models had 2 of the Tinsley Depot Deluxe versions available this afternoon.

They seem to be available in several places, not a popular variant. Footplate have 3.

11 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

I'd suggest that it might in part be that it is just after Xmas so people probably got money for Xmas, further enhanced by Omicron killing off a lot of normal Xmas pressie shopping?

They seem to be available in several places, not a popular variant. Footplate have 3.

Intetesting - demographically I thought sectorisation would be up and coming 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The proof will be when the SFX version of 47004 is available, presumably at some point this month? Does not appear to be sold out on pre-order so perhaps sectorisation is not 'on trend'?

I note that Kernow's Exclusive 47306 in RfD livery remains in its bargains section bundled with a Heljan Cargowaggon, so not a period that is a strong seller?

The InterCity version is a lovely looking loco so I can see that selling, but I thought the Tinsley model was almost as good.

RfD not really a popular choice and a surprising one for the first run. 375 was done by Heljan some years ago and when Bachmann brought out their 365 that was a slow seller too. 

Kernow`s 306 has been around unsold for some time too.

I bought 47004 in Constuction but that was only an impulse buy.

What would have sold is Original Railfright like they brought out 47018 in 2mm , hopefully that might make batch 2.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, 47423 said:

RfD not really a popular choice and a surprising one for the first run. 375 was done by Heljan some years ago and when Bachmann brought out their 365 that was a slow seller too. 

What would have sold is Original Railfright like they brought out 47018 in 2mm , hopefully that might make batch 2.

Yeh an original railfreight 47 in 4mm would be nice 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

A livery I don’t think Bachmann have ever done on a 47 is an engineering grey one (before Dutch yellow stripe). I wonder if it would sell..? Nor have they done a standard RF red stripe loco (only 301 with its additional white stripe).

it’s hard to pick a sure first seller - my instinct is that Scotrail 47/7 or in earlier blue would sell but they have done 3x 47/7 already in Scotrail… maybe they should look to early versions of the old 47 where the liveries have not been repeated recently - intercity exec, parcels, RES maybe? Is demand there?

I would buy a RF grey 47 but not long since regional version which seemed a slow seller?

Tough call to make but I was surprised to see an RFD euro loco in first releases for reasons given above.

Now that it’s been released and people physically have them I’m interested to know how they stack up quality wise against the SLW Class 24 ? The price points are similar so for those lucky enough to own both how does it measure up. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, 47423 said:

I think the reason the kernow one was a slow seller was , it was an easy renumber form the cheap 365 which hung around like you said.

And it was linked to cornwall, but it never actually worked there, just sat and rotted at SBZ for ages 

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

A livery I don’t think Bachmann have ever done on a 47 is an engineering grey one (before Dutch yellow stripe). I wonder if it would sell..? Nor have they done a standard RF red stripe loco (only 301 with its additional white stripe).

it’s hard to pick a sure first seller - my instinct is that Scotrail 47/7 or in earlier blue would sell but they have done 3x 47/7 already in Scotrail… maybe they should look to early versions of the old 47 where the liveries have not been repeated recently - intercity exec, parcels, RES maybe? Is demand there?

I would buy a RF grey 47 but not long since regional version which seemed a slow seller?

Tough call to make but I was surprised to see an RFD euro loco in first releases for reasons given above.

I think a grey one like that wouldn’t be a good bet - none lasted in the grey more than a couple of years making it incredibly specific to 1989-1991 ish . And it was dull.

Edited by rob D2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Gary H said:

I don't normally struggle when it comes to abbreviations etc, but "SFX"???

Presumably sound fitted something or other??:blush:

I had the same problem, seems it's the Bachmann part number suffix for a loco with DCC sound and the fancy extras like rotating fans.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Thanks 1