Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

/ translucent grey discs ( TGD ) or small marker lights ( rarer) on yellow mainly panel .

The translucent grey discs (TGD) were fitted to both cabs initially, then the small marker lights started to be fitted (from around 1983) at the No 2 end, retaining the TGDs at the No 1 end. I would be surprised if any 47s still had TGDs at the No 2 end after the headlight was fitted.

• Informative/Useful 1

In all honesty I think Bachmann have massively under utilised this new tooling. So far they produced models like 375 and 790 but these are no good as the common machines can be renumbered and people would buy 2/3 not just one and that’s if they like that one. They really need to use the tooling create the real odd balls like 601/901 like the flush fronted DRS ones not the celebrities. But they need to deliver the odd standard one too that people can do some (dare I say it) modelling and renumbering too. They will find boxes shift then a mix is what you want but I just don’t see them doing this at the moment.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

The translucent grey discs (TGD) were fitted to both cabs initially, then the small marker lights started to be fitted (from around 1983) at the No 2 end, retaining the TGDs at the No 1 end. I would be surprised if any 47s still had TGDs at the No 2 end after the headlight was fitted.

I seem to remember that it was due to the fitting of certain equipment behind the headcode box but wouldn't fit with the TGD in place so were replaced with small marker lights.

T-T

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, XChris said:

In all honesty I think Bachmann have massively under utilised this new tooling. So far they produced models like 375 and 790 but these are no good as the common machines can be renumbered and people would buy 2/3 not just one and that’s if they like that one. They really need to use the tooling create the real odd balls like 601/901 like the flush fronted DRS ones not the celebrities. But they need to deliver the odd standard one too that people can do some (dare I say it) modelling and renumbering too. They will find boxes shift then a mix is what you want but I just don’t see them doing this at the moment.

Modelling …Are you insane ?! :)

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

10 hours ago, 37114 said:

I don't think 47601 ever had class 56 bogies, are you confusing 56042 which had class 58 bogies? I think there would be enough interest in 47601/901 as LTD edition but it the sort of thing that Heljan rather than Bachmann are likely to do based on past track record

You are of course right - was getting

my testbeds muddled!

On 05/04/2024 at 15:48, XChris said:

Bachmann need to choose the celebs as they are charging more than others and so need something thats iconic to pull in the demand for theirs over the other alternatives. Bachmann's choices though still don't get all the celebs or popular ones that you might be looking for. Some standard workhorses would work too as the demand 'should' be there but you still need to gauge what period or whether they are weathered, etc. 

Bachmann still (overall) do the whole green and blue for one release, then sectorisation and later in the next, rather than just go for what you need to make when you see what has been made already and what the competition is doing... 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Bachmann need to choose the celebs as they are charging more than others and so need something thats iconic to pull in the demand for theirs over the other alternatives. 

Have you looked at the cost of the Heljan alternative? When comparing as close as you can like-for-like, Bachmann are charging less aren’t they? Heljan sound £389.95 v Bachmann Sound £339.95 or SFX £384.95 (all rrp). 

Roy

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Have you looked at the cost of the Heljan alternative? When comparing as close as you can like-for-like, Bachmann are charging less aren’t they? Heljan sound £389.95 v Bachmann Sound £339.95 or SFX £384.95 (all rrp). 

Roy

Wow….

Yipes.

i’m glad I stick with DC.

ive only got 1, paid £200 for it, dc ready. Felt like it as a “new release” premium.

its certainly not competing on better price or higher quality, and arrived a long way behind the Bachmann one. So its missed all 3 of the typical measures of success.

Anyone know of source of Bachmann 47 nose footsteps?  I have 2 missing on a recent eBay purchase.  They don’t appear on the Bachmann spares site.

Any help much appreciated.

Andrew

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, mevaman1 said:

Anyone know of source of Bachmann 47 nose footsteps?  I have 2 missing on a recent eBay purchase.  They don’t appear on the Bachmann spares site.

Any help much appreciated.

Andrew

These are the biggest weakness in Bachmanns 47, easily lost.

They used to be listed.

Probably best to call direct.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 03/04/2024 at 13:08, IOW O2 said:

Once I get the body off to fit crew I will see if I can remove dominoes from inside like the Deltic.

Fitted AS crew, pushed the dominoes headcode out, scraped off the dominoes with some Meths and then fitted the AS numerical one.  A bit of light bleed as in pic below, but not noticeable in use. Lights up quite quick at low voltage for me DC only.  Had to hold loco to keep in focus.

12.jpg

Edited by IOW O2
Spelling. correction
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, IOW O2 said:

Fitted AS crew, pushed the dominoes headcode out, scraped off the dominoes with some Meths and then fitted the AS numerical one.  A bit of light bleed as in pic below, but not noticeable in use. Lights up quite quick at low voltage for me DC only.  Had to hold loco to keep in focus.

12.jpg

I think light bleed through the blinds was quite common so it could be described by some aa prototypical. 

• Thanks 1

Are there any CV changes on the Loksound V5 that can be done to make the lighting direction independent of the motor direction?

Basically for shunting/shuttle work I want to leave the headlights on when the loco is going in reverse for short distances, as would be prototypical with the driver not changing the lights every time they go in reverse.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1