Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I am considering adding ambient noise; rain, sheep bleating, babbling brook, and possibly whistles and other railway ambient.  This, if I progress with it, will be delivered through hifi bluetooth headphones; I cannot be *rsed with silly little speakers incapable of bass response.

I am slightly surprised none of the sound providers hasn’t offered an alternative sound file to re-programme the Hornby sound wagons with a range of sounds for different circumstances or even a menu to choose from.

4 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

I am slightly surprised none of the sound providers hasn’t offered an alternative sound file to re-programme the Hornby sound wagons with a range of sounds for different circumstances or even a menu to choose from.

because the TTS decoder in the wagon can't be reprogrammed by the end user.

What would be good is an non TTS ambient sound project using programmable decoders, with potential for multiple channels to go to different speakers connected to the decoder (so one speaker in the station and one in the Yard, or one by the railway, one in the town....

Taking this a step further, might there be a market for a 'customised' ambient sound chip, hundreds of effects that you can select, each one carries a memory or effect length and you can order up to a certain amount depending on what chip you want loaded.... Given the need to load each sound and create a 'custom' project (albeit with pre-specified and recorded sounds) I would imagine there would be a degree of extra cost to the purchaser, but could be an interesting venture....

This is getting OT for the Bachmann 47 though...

This said it IS nice using sound fitted locos to provide ambient sound while running non-sound models!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Class 158 productions said:

I must say they look and sound fantastic from those videos. However it is a real shame to see the bare copper pickup in the Hornby video though. Really not a good look and does throw off all the good work done on that area of the model. Hopefully an easy fix but this should’ve been picked up a while ago. 

I didn't spot that at all, I was just surprised that they showed a 47 hauling a train with loco tail-lights on.

Roy

I’m thinking I won’t know till I hold one myself as videos / cameras / lighting and so on can really play tricks and what can jar to others may not offend me, and vice versa. The only comment I saw and immediately resonated was with the ploughs - their current gen 37 and 47 ploughs are one of weaker points for me - esp if you want to use them and be able to couple up to stock as a butchery method of some description is required. Others have shown what can done to go to next level here and this does look a miss but maybe the real thing will arrive and be better than we expect. I await their arrival with interest!!

M

• Like 1

On 23/10/2021 at 15:26, pauliebanger said:

.......assigning functions to F keys is just a question of mapping

Best regards,

Paul

Come on Paul, that might equate to some of 'that there thinking about it and modelling' rather than simply unboxing it and plonkin' it on the track.

You never know, it might just catch on....... :devil:

• RMweb Premium

So the last shall be first, and the first last...

I wonder if this is purely a reflection of the fact that the InterCity variant has not yet recorded a delay and therefore may later end up being shifted to Jan/Feb 2022 (given that it was previously scheduled to be one of the last to appear). Or has it somehow managed to jump to the head of the queue? I'll not get too excited about seeing my InterCity Class 47 before Xmas just yet.

• RMweb Gold

Ive got that on order as well an SD version along with the SD Construction and RFD one.

I reckon it will be delayed as well....unless there is an error with the first batch... which has caused the delay....but the speculative side of me is wondering if Bachmann are waiting to see if container prices will drop post christmas....

Edited by pheaton

Is it not just congestion with the worlds shipping causing all this ?

Apparantly we won't be having pigs in blankets , turkey or RFD 47s on Christmas day ( shock horror).

Or just maybe Barwell emailed China and said , " we've had another think about keeping those rubbish footsteps and ploughs and we are going to to a reboot ..standby !"

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, pheaton said:

but the speculative side of me is wondering if Bachmann are waiting to see if container prices will drop post christmas....

if that's the case then in may well be Xmas 2023 before you see them, 40ft containers have just gone up again by 3000USD in the last two month's

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, pheaton said:

what is actually wrong with the footsteps? Genuine question....

@rob D2 posted his issue here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/166210-Bachmann-announce-new-class-47/&do=findComment&comment=4574284

Personally, I can't get overly excited about them and they look acceptable to me.

Roy

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

@rob D2 posted his issue here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/166210-Bachmann-announce-new-class-47/&do=findComment&comment=4574284

Personally, I can't get overly excited about them and they look acceptable to me.

Roy

When you remove the body and not watch the steps ping off into the ether, you might revisit that thought.

:(

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, adb968008 said:

When you remove the body and not watch the steps ping off into the ether, you might revisit that thought.

TBF i havent had that issue with my Bachmann 47s...vitrains however.....

my biggest bug bear is when you put the body back on the door window falls out...

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, pheaton said:

my biggest bug bear is when you put the body back on the door window falls out...

Talking of bears…

They have the same problem in Yosemite national park.

At night, Bears will jump on your car roof and the doors pop out.

(and then climb inside to steal your food).

I digress.

:D

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 3

It's an area I think they could have improved on . You take the body off , you get both footsteps stuckon the buffer beam , or on the body or one on each .

they don't sit too well sometimes either . And of course if you design it like that you have to make little cut outs in the body to accommodate them which don't exist in reality , here's one of mine ;;

the snowploughs are just chunky and a bit coarse 

DF7F428F-079F-4028-A55C-892C9655E850.jpeg.e1bf82a875049ebbdc8bf0726f101466.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Never had a problem taking a Bachmann 47 apart (or putting it back together again), and if I can get a Hattons 66 apart without losing steps, I think I passed the test.

Roy

• RMweb Gold