Robust varnish for models painted with acrylics?

Can anyone recommend some decent gloss and matt varnishes which can be used to finish off a model that has been painted with acrylics?

I seem to be forever going round in circles reading recommendations and trying out various options. To name a few that I've tried or researched so far:

Vallejo polyurethane varnishes (airbrushed) - They airbrush well, give a good finish, and seem pretty robust to handling, but I've found that even a brief splash of water (such as when applying waterslide decals) tends to reactivate the varnish and the underlying Vallejo colours within a few seconds unless it is removed! This is frustrating and unforgiving when applying transfers, and doesn't inspire confidence for longevity of the model.

Vallejo acrylic resin varnishes (airbrushed) - They airbrush well, give a good finish. The matt is particularly nice. I haven't tested their durability as I have for the polyurethanes so far.

Tamiya acyrlic clears (airbrushed) - I've found these to airbrush well and give a robust finish, but I had a disaster with whitening which has put me off trying them again. I'd be interested to hear others' experiences.

Lifecolor acrylic clears? (airbrushed) - I like their normal acrylics, but I've read that the clear coats are not particularly sturdy for mdoels that will be handled. Any thoughts?

Testors Dullcote lacquer (spray can) - Widely recommended, but seems to destroy transfers even after sealing them with an acrylic varnish first.

Humbrol enamel clear (spray can) - I've read plenty of horror stories about whitening, but a can I've had for 7+ years gives good and sturdy results and doesn't damage transfers. However, the formula may have changed to something less reliable since then? I will say that models I finished using this many years ago still look good and the finish is robust, but there doesn't seem to be any consensus on a reliable enamel spray varnish nowadays? Railmatch and Revell don't seem to be well regarded.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be much appreciated. I have a mountain of painting to do, and want to make sure I won't regret my choices down the line if possible!

Many thanks,

Liam

Edited by Pillar

Whilst I cannot answer your question directly I can offer some experience and observations using acrylic paints and varnishes, mostly brushed.

Testors Acryl is my preferred paint and varnish.  I have never had any reactions using waterslide or methfix tranfers.  Testors dries to a very tough finish and passes my unscientific thumbnail scratch tests.

Vallejo has a number of useful colours not in the Testors range but isn't nearly as tough as Testors and can be affected by Isopropyl Alcohol.  I know this as I used a commercial weathering kit available over hear (Rust n Dust) that included IPA.

Humbrol acrylics seem good using both Vallejo and Testors varnishes.

Edited by Jeff Smith
  • Informative/Useful 1

Ronseal Acrylic Diamond Hard,

Used it for years, covers well only needs a few minutes between coats and best of all really easy to clean your airbrush after use (just needs water) The Matt when sprayed is very slightly a sheen finish, I always add just a little drop of water to aid spraying.

Also available in Gloss and Satin.

Silverlink

Edited by silverlink
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, micklner said:

Sadly when you go to the basket after adding some therein?? Yes one guess ,they dont have any !!

Thanks for the info.

Hi

Ah I didn’t try that. The only other place I was aware of (edm models) no longer lists it.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/08/2021 at 16:30, micklner said:

Testors Dullcote has been withdrawn. If anyone has any for sale ?? = Yes please !!

In the past I've usually bought it at shows from Hobby Holidays.  It looks as though he has it in stock, but can't ship it!  If you're able to pick it up from him you might be able to get some, or wait and see if he starts going to shows again I suppose.

https://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=DULLCOTE

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 31A said:

In the past I've usually bought it at shows from Hobby Holidays.  It looks as though he has it in stock, but can't ship it!  If you're able to pick it up from him you might be able to get some, or wait and see if he starts going to shows again I suppose.

https://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=DULLCOTE

Doncaster from London is sadly a bit far away. Just read the listing , he says Hermes wont allow aerosols . Strange as they delievered a aerosol to me yesterday !!

• Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, micklner said:

Tried it already, it lifts enamel despite what the can says !!. No idea if Halfords enamel is a diferent type from Humbrol etc.

I've never had that problem 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, 101 said:

I've never had that problem 

I have. I won't be using it again. But I suppose it might be OK on acrylics?

DT

Edited by Torper

On 09/08/2021 at 19:44, micklner said:

Tried it already, it lifts enamel , despite what the can says !!.

No idea if Halfords enamel is a different type from Humbrol etc.

Haven't had a problem at all with it, over enamels and acrylics from many sources!

I spray on multiple light coats, say 3 one day, and another 3 the next day. I don't know if that helps

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/08/2021 at 21:27, Monkersson said:

Haven't had a problem at all with it, over enamels and acrylics from many sources!

I spray on multiple light coats, say 3 one day, and another 3 the next day. I don't know if that helps

Likewise, I've used it loads and never had a problem. 

Rob

On 05/08/2021 at 21:07, silverlink said:

Ronseal Acrylic Diamond Hard,

Used it for years, covers well only needs a few minutes between coats and best of all really easy to clean your airbrush after use (just needs water) The Matt when sprayed is very slightly a sheen finish, I always add just a little drop of water to aid spraying.

Also available in Gloss and Satin.

Silverlink

I know it is widely recommended, so  ordered a can. Unfortunately, it came all off after being masked with the yellow Tamiya masking tape. Big disaster!!

Michael

On 11/08/2021 at 21:27, Monkersson said:

Tried again on Humbrol enamel with matt and satin versions. A light coat and the paint wrinkled , ok only feint, but simply not worth bothering with anymore.

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, micklner said:

Tried again on Humbrol enamel with matt and satin versions. A light coat and the paint wrinkled , ok only feint, but simply not worth bothering with anymore.

In spite of my own poor experience with Halfords Lacquer I kept my can (Satin) and in view of this topic thought I'd give it another go.  I've got some old plastic coach sides and a couple of metal loco bodies that I use for practice and I used them as guinea pigs.  The coach sides were already painted with enamels, I'm pretty sure Precision brand, and the loco body may have been used to test an old pot of Cherry enamel paint I had.  Anyway, much to my surprise, no problems at all with the lacquer this time.  It sprayed on nicely,and an  hour or two later I applied a second coat.  That was about 14 hours ago and I'm very pleased indeed wth the finish achieved - no sign of wrinkling.  I have no idea as to why it performed so badly when I tried it two or three years ago - unfortunately I don't recall what paint was used though it would have been either enamel of Halfords own rattle can.

This time the finish really can't be faulted, so the next question is whether I dare try it on one of my carefully kit built models.........

DT

22 hours ago, justin1985 said:

Recently I've tended to use Games Workshop "Purity Seal" in a large spray can. Finish somewhere between matt and satin, and clearly intended for use over their acrylic paints. Never noticed any problems in reacting with paint, decals, or indeed water.

The old White can version were excellent. They changed the formula and in a Yellow can, it dried white/bloom and was binned.

I am please to say I have now sourced enough cans of Testors Dullcote, to cover my needs for a long time !!

Edited by micklner