Suitable Non-Solder Connectors

Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

In an aim to reduce soldering of wiring on S&P to the bare minimum, I'm trying to find suitable connectors to wire up these sockets:

P1002259.JPG.1d8070d7fa9a72fe7ba1217261a9d173.JPG

P1002260.JPG.1cd466f4ada8eb8e9789fb5a45bccebc.JPG

The top is a PX0552, the bottom a standard sized 8 pin din. The tag sizes are 5mm x 9mm x 1mm for the PX0552, and 2mm x 5mm x 0.5mm for the 8 pin din.

I think the PX0552 will probably take some kind of spade connector?

What about the 8 pin din?

TIA

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Hi,

In an aim to reduce soldering of wiring on S&P to the bare minimum, I'm trying to find suitable connectors to wire up these sockets:

P1002259.JPG.1d8070d7fa9a72fe7ba1217261a9d173.JPG

P1002260.JPG.1cd466f4ada8eb8e9789fb5a45bccebc.JPG

The top is a PX0552, the bottom a standard sized 8 pin din. The tag sizes are 5mm x 9mm x 1mm for the PX0552, and 2mm x 5mm x 0.5mm for the 8 pin din.

I think the PX0552 will probably take some kind of spade connector?

What about the 8 pin din?

TIA

The top one looks like it will take standard ¼" spades.

There are narrower ones but I don't know whether they would tally with those on a DIN plug.

Maybe these:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/spade-connectors/0534345

EDIT

There are 2mm ones as well

https://uk.farnell.com/eao/31-945/female-disconnect-2mm-x-0-5mm/dp/2787331

Not a crimp though.

A bit of searching should find something suitable

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

On 03/08/2021 at 18:33, Ian J. said:

I'm trying to find suitable connectors to wire up these sockets:

For info, be sure with any kind of crimp connector or terminal that you use a real crimp tool, not one that just flattens instead of crimping.

This is a "flattener" - there is often not enough pressure to form a gas-tight contact between the wire strands and terminal sleeve, so they can corrode over time, or just pull out.

Nasty crimp tool

These are the better style - the  jaws prevent the terminal just spreading sideways, so the metal must compress and flow - that's what makes a good reliable crimp.

Better style crimp tool

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Waking up this topic, can anyone advise on a good quality brand of crimping tool? I see from the last post here that there are better and worse ones, but I need more options for good ones than just one image.

• RMweb Premium
On 03/08/2021 at 18:46, melmerby said:

The top one looks like it will take standard ¼" spades.

If it's measuring at 5mm, it'll be a 3/16" spade (4.8mm)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, smokebox said:

Depends what terminals you want to crimp.  Different terminals need different crimpers.

The plot thickens. So what kinds of crimpers are needed for what kinds of what kinds of terminals...?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Is this style of crimper any good?

'Rotary' Crimper at Amazon

That  type is suitable for crimping 'bootlace ferrules'

The one I suggested earlier from Screwfix is suitable for the 'spade' type connectors which is the type you would use on the sockets pictured at the beginning of this thread. You just need to get the correct size ones to fit.

a suggested couple of websites to look at are:

https://cpc.farnell.com/

https://www.rapidonline.com/

Edited by MalcT
  • Informative/Useful 1

For simple spade terminals you will probably be Ok with a cheap tool.

In general, you should buy the crimp tool from the manufacturer of the crimp terminals, but the tools can be hellish expensive for a few connections on a model railway. The best crimps/tools are not just squashed flat on the wire, they are curled inward at the same time. You also need to match the crimp terminal to the wire size.

There are some good "compatible" tools but I can't make any particular recommendation.

Then you get generic tools. Some of the £10+ tools are actually no better than Blackspur that you might get from the pound shop.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll doing quite a few connections as I'm going to try and avoid soldering where possible, and there will be future 'vignettes' yet to be built so even more connections to be made, so a good crimping tool will be an essential.

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Crosland said:

In general, you should buy the crimp tool from the manufacturer of the crimp terminals, but the tools can be hellish expensive for a few connections on a model railway. 

Not 'alf, I've bought ones for work at 500 quid plus! Can't think of a better option than a generic tool Screwfix style for a few model railway connections.

I know they are not popular in the UK but if you just want to join a few wires together without soldering or crimping wire nuts are your friend. They are inexpensive and quite reliable, although things can get a bit untidy if you have a lot of them in one place. Probably not a great idea for a portable layout but fine for a static layout.

Heading for my underground bunker now :D

Most insulated spade and bullet crimps come with either a standard red, blue or yellow sleeve so when going for a ratchet crimper look for one that has crimping jaws marked with those colours it takes out a lot error when it comes to making the crimp. I had one that a number of jaws marked in AWG which was a right PITA trying to remember which was for which crimp. Too small a jaw and the crimp would almost double over, whilst too large and the wire came out.

Richard