Lyneworth Phase 2 (Revisited!)

Newbie2020

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Aftger a lot of thinking and conversations with my dad I've decided I will restart the project from scratch. The original plan was based on little more than an 8x4 board and it's proving difficult to get a satisfactory way to extend the existing layout. 

With that in mind I'm in need of help (again!). What do I need? I need an OO layout using Streamline Code 100 track. Main interests in locos is late steam early diesel. I envsage a complete circuit around the garage with two distinct stations (Lyneworth and Millhampton) Lyneworth is a suburban, semi-rural place, Millhampton a more urban, industrial town. This should allow for some scenic modelling and shunting areas. I MUST have room for my Archery Club (Lyneworth Archers) and I MUST have a tunnel (or tunnels). I've also got a thing about canals at the moment too!

What space do I have? I now have the whole garage (measurements in the pic)236357312_LyneworthRestart.jpg.0dc3703fcc3789450eae9551ffb64390.jpg! Complete clean slate and I'm open to ideas!

What do you guys suggest?

Clive

• Friendly/supportive 1

So now you go through the process

What is essential

What would be nice to have but not absolutely essential

Things that can be discarded easily if they dont fit - operational things for example

make the list then somebody like Harlequin will probably design you a cracking layout

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Smardale said:

What do you enjoy doing? (ie: Shunting, watching trains go by etc..)

Also don't expect us to know anything about the size dimensions of archery equipment! :lol:

I like a bit of both. Shunting can be fun, for a while!, then its good to just watch the trains go by too.

Archery Clubs don't take up much room, this is Lyneworth Archers current field by the old quarry.

CliveIMG_20210803_203551.jpg.3b3af5f106f1da88208af91c66db0843.jpg

• RMweb Premium

tunnels-300x226.jpg.7403308fb0feff2b6aef127216310e71.jpg

9 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

Just combine the archery club with the tunnel, like they did at Chilcompton tunnel. (That might have been shooting actually)

Yes that was the shooting club!

Edited by Newbie2020

• RMweb Gold

Hi Clive,

Probably the obvious solution would be: Millhampton (double track through station) down one side, fiddle yard and Lyneworth down the other, (overlapping to some extent so that each has the room it needs), simple double-track non-scenic lifting/duck-under section across the doorway, big scenic countryside curve at the far end (inc. tunnel, canal, archery club, whatever).

If the garage door still opens then that could allow you to do more at the scenic end than you could do in a fully walled room but on the downside it will always be colder and more draughty. So if you haven't already, you need to decide about the garage door before you get too far with planning the layout.

You may or may not want a traditional fiddle yard. It could possibly be dressed us as part of Lyneworth station but that would change the character of that station and a set of loops acting as a FY holding disparate stock would never look or operate like any real part of the railway (That I know of).

If you have any non-scenic areas (i.e. fiddle yard and/or the section across the doorway) then you will have to disguise the transition from on-scene to off using scenic breaks such as bridges, tunnels, cuttings, or simple view-blockers. If you have any transitions like this, do you really need a separate tunnel in the scenic part as well?

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Clive,

Probably the obvious solution would be: Millhampton (double track through station) down one side, fiddle yard and Lyneworth down the other, (overlapping to some extent so that each has the room it needs), simple double-track non-scenic lifting/duck-under section across the doorway, big scenic countryside curve at the far end (inc. tunnel, canal, archery club, whatever).

If the garage door still opens then that could allow you to do more at the scenic end than you could do in a fully walled room but on the downside it will always be colder and more draughty. So if you haven't already, you need to decide baou the garage door before you get too far with planning the layout.

You may or may not want a traditional fiddle yard. It could possibly be dressed us as part of Lyneworth station but that would change the character of that station and a set of loops acting as a FY holding disparate stock would never look or operate like any real part of the railway (That I know of).

If you have any non-scenic areas (i.e. fiddle yard and/or the section across the doorway) then you will have to disguise the transition from on-scene to off using scenic breaks such as bridges, tunnels, cuttings, or simple view-blockers. If you have any transitions like this, do you really need a separate tunnel in the scenic part as well?

Hi Phil,

That's something along the lines I was thinking of.  Lyneworth along the back (right in the pic) with up and down lines and passing loop going towards the garage door more "country" scenic with hill and tunnel at that end coming back up the other side to Millhampton with some sidings for freight/shunting as well as a passenger terminus. Then the up and down lines crossing over the "bridge" section and curving back into Lyneworth.

The garage door is an electric roller so easy to lift up and down as needed but in reallity we rarely use the garage door anyway.

Don't necessarily need extra tunnels if there are tunnels creating scenic breaks.

Not looking to run massive long trains maybe 4-5 coaches max will keep me happy.

in my experience garage doors tend to disturb a lot of dust when they operate - I wouldnt operate it anywhere near a model railway personally. Not just in my dusty garage.....

Start planning your own model of glenfinnan viaduct now..... only double track

Edited by RobinofLoxley

• RMweb Premium

HI Again,

This is so much harder than I thought! I've struggled to get my head around XTrakCad (sorry Chimer!) so gone back to AnyRail 6.

Top station is Lyneworth and bottom Left I have Millhampton. Passenger station slightly elevated right at the bottom (Just 3% grad) with the TMD/goods area/fiddle yard next to it.

Struggling with the geometry a little so used some setrack curves (R2 and R3) in the corners (except top left) Bottom right R2 and R3 Curves hidden by tunnel, Bottom left tight curves disguised by the engine shed in front of it. Thought I could disguise the top Left with a cutting?

Just got to work out the points etc for the TM/goods/fiddle yard.

Any comments or suggestions welcome!

Clive1791883715_LyneworthPhase1.3.JPG.f0d7eaeebdeb4299094920f4163bb974.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Meant to respond to you earlier, but life got in the way.  Are you still working on this one?  My immediate thoughts are operational.  A train leaving the terminal platform at Millhampton needs to be able to access the inner (anti-clockwise) circuit and, assuming Millhampton does have platforms on the through lines (?), this will look best if it happens as soon as it clears the platform.  Probably neatest to use a single or double slip to cross the clockwise circuit, this will also allow the returning train to get from the clockwise circuit to the platform, but 3 points will do it if you don't want the complications of the slip.

Then you need some way of getting the train back.  The obvious way (assuming it's loco-hauled) is to run round using the loop at Lyneworth, but you now need to be able to access the outer circuit for the return journey.  You can do this as you've drawn it, but would have more flexibility here if the right-hand crossover was to the right of the point giving access to the loop (or again you could use a double slip).

And a 3% gradient is actually pretty steep .......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Chimer said:

Meant to respond to you earlier, but life got in the way.  Are you still working on this one?  My immediate thoughts are operational.  A train leaving the terminal platform at Millhampton needs to be able to access the inner (anti-clockwise) circuit and, assuming Millhampton does have platforms on the through lines (?), this will look best if it happens as soon as it clears the platform.  Probably neatest to use a single or double slip to cross the clockwise circuit, this will also allow the returning train to get from the clockwise circuit to the platform, but 3 points will do it if you don't want the complications of the slip.

Then you need some way of getting the train back.  The obvious way (assuming it's loco-hauled) is to run round using the loop at Lyneworth, but you now need to be able to access the outer circuit for the return journey.  You can do this as you've drawn it, but would have more flexibility here if the right-hand crossover was to the right of the point giving access to the loop (or again you could use a double slip).

And a 3% gradient is actually pretty steep .......

Yep Still working on it, work keeps getting in the way! made a few adjustment to the above layout. I'll post the updated one when I get home. The 3% gradient will only be for the Class 150 DMU which I have tested and it has no problem with it. The new layout actually makes it a bit longer run so slightly less than 3%, plus I could drop the paltform lower. I just liked the idea of some height difference to add interest.

Clive

• RMweb Premium

Is Millhampton just a single platform terminus for a DMU service then?  If so, how about running it as a single track branch from a junction at Lyneworth, maybe on the inside of the mainline then crossing on a bridge over the main just before the platform?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chimer said:

Is Millhampton just a single platform terminus for a DMU service then?  If so, how about running it as a single track branch from a junction at Lyneworth, maybe on the inside of the mainline then crossing on a bridge over the main just before the platform?

I like that Idea!

• RMweb Premium

Slow progress but taking shape. Single "Commuter Shuttle" from Lyneworth down to Millhampton with the single line rising to cross the main lines at the bottom and into a slightly raised passenger station at Millhampton. Still need to get the entrance into the fiddle yard/TMD/Goods yard sorted.108427906_LyneworthPhase21.3.JPG.552fc98a00a71c5481b03e95e75a72a5.JPG

• RMweb Premium

I would suggest this change at least .... it avoids a train heading for Millhampton running wrong line (albeit briefly) leaving Lyneworth.

newbiemk2.gif.cefc9252dfcb11b7bb71ae0f17d5a882.gif

There's more thinking to be done about how things might work re fiddle yard/TMD/Goods yard!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Chimer said:

I would suggest this change at least .... it avoids a train heading for Millhampton running wrong line (albeit briefly) leaving Lyneworth.

newbiemk2.gif.cefc9252dfcb11b7bb71ae0f17d5a882.gif

There's more thinking to be done about how things might work re fiddle yard/TMD/Goods yard!

Yes that makes sense. fiddle yard/TMD is next step, Change of through line has altered the way I thought it might work, so thats next on the rethink list!

• RMweb Premium

Version 4.3!  Branch line between Lyneworth and Millhampton now avoids mainline coming out of Lyneworth, the slowly raises in height to cross over the mainline lower down before going into the passenger terminus at Millhampton which stands above the TMD. Trailing points and crossover to enable access to MIllhampton TMD and refuelling point.

All comments welcome!!! Might regret saying that lol!!!)

Clive636076804_LyneworthPhase21.4.JPG.2f30de43a8e7ebe0cc91cc628697e4d9.JPG