Infrastructure flashes - circa 1989/90

18B

Hi, 

I noticed the other day on a pic of a class 31, AR above its number, I’m assuming that it stood for Anglia Region as the region it belonged to for infrastructure work? Many class 20s had LMR and yellow flashes above their numbers, but not seem many ARs… also iirc some Class 50s had WR near their numbers? I’m assuming there were ER and ScR examples? And SR? But they seem had to find, unless anyone knows of any examples pr has pics of such locos carrying the flashes/insignia? Tia 

9 hours ago, 18B said:

Hi, 

I noticed the other day on a pic of a class 31, AR above its number, I’m assuming that it stood for Anglia Region as the region it belonged to for infrastructure work? Many class 20s had LMR and yellow flashes above their numbers, but not seem many ARs… also iirc some Class 50s had WR near their numbers? I’m assuming there were ER and ScR examples? And SR? But they seem had to find, unless anyone knows of any examples pr has pics of such locos carrying the flashes/insignia? Tia 

There was a change in how infrastructure was managed at the time. On the Anglia region all bits of track, crossovers, siding and buildings had an owner - IC, NSE, Provicial/RR. This included CE stock and locos - however, it took some time to sort out and there were some 'spare' locos. These were the main ones to be branded, mainly Class 31 at Strafford but there were others, to stop them being 'liberated'. Some of them were un-referbished and in dire condition, it was a bit of pot luck if they lasted a full weekend possession.  

• Informative/Useful 1