Bachmann/Farish Autumn 2021 Update

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Apart from the BR grey 3-plank, there's little in the video that suits my scale, period or geographical interests, but that's something to which I long ago became accustomed with Bachmann.

Mind you, the absence of anything else to soak up my budget (apart from a pre-ordered "King Leodegrance") avoids difficult choices becoming necessary in relation to a new green Brush 4.

The things I really wanted to see were the Bulleid coaches, but not even an update so I presume they won't be turning up until pre-Christmas at the earliest, or more likely, next year.

I feel a few more Terriers and industrials in the offing between now and then! 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

14 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The things I really wanted to see were the Bulleid coaches, but not even an update so I presume they won't be turning up until pre-Christmas at the earliest, or more likely, next year.

Just a reminder that anything announced in 2019 or earlier will not feature in the quarterly announcements, as they have already been announced. If you want release dates for those models, the Bachmann website gives them if they are currently due between now and Jan/Feb 2022. If you don't want to go on the Bachmann website I keep a thread on here updated.

The Bulleids don't have a release date.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

Just a reminder that anything announced in 2019 or earlier will not feature in the quarterly announcements, as they have already been announced. If you want release dates for those models, the Bachmann website gives them if they are currently due between now and Jan/Feb 2022. If you don't want to go on the Bachmann website I keep a thread on here updated.

Thanks, so mid-2022 at best. They are even further off than I'd feared. 

John 

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

Am I right in thinking that the LMS Saloons are the first GF models announced under the new system whose production is not in conjunction with a previously announced version?

How do you mean Paul? (Sorry if that’s not actually your name!)

Do you mean “are they the first brand new models announced under the new system”?

Richard

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

Am I right in thinking that the LMS Saloons are the first GF models announced under the new system whose production is not in conjunction with a previously announced version?

No, these are a re-issue of a previous released model (Originally an NGS exclusive model, then released under the Farish brand.)  I think this is the third issue of ex-LMS Saloons.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Paul.Uni said:

Thanks, Paul, I've added a "follow" to your thread to help keep me up-to-date.

John

As an N gauge modeller I'm going to be positive.

My sincere thanks to Dapol, Revolution, Sonic, Peco, Union Mills and Rapido for supporting us N gaugers. Also thanks to Kato for bringing out an excellent British model a few months ago. I don't think I've missed  anyone out. 

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

There's been a change at Bachmann that doesn't seem to have been remarked upon… all of its first new OO models were steam outline. Whereas all the new tooling main range items (I.e. not the Precedent) are diesel locos, and they are all, except for the 69, new versions of existing items. And they've surrendered the GW Mogul and Manor to Dapol and Accurascale…

Whilst the N gauge releases are extremely meagre — and I understand why Osborns feel the way they do, given the stupidly raised expectations — I've come to realise that I just don't care anymore whether Farish produce any new items ever again. I'm losing interest in British prototype bit by bit, and most of the locos I am still interested in are more likely to be produced by Dapol (a new "small Prairie" and Ivatt tank to join the M7, please) or Sonic, or even Union Mills. Most of the freight rolling stock could be got from Peco or Dapol too. For modern outline there's Revolution Trains. Farish are now less relevant to me than ever before.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, RichardT said:

How do you mean Paul? (Sorry if that’s not actually your name!)

Do you mean “are they the first brand new models announced under the new system”?

Richard

No. I mean first models to be released without a model from the same tooling announced in 2019 or earlier, also being released at the same time (unlike the TTA and LMS Brake Van, both have two previously announced models coming at the same time)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ahh, Bachmann...

A full fat all singing all dancing Brush Type 4 is a no brainer, but the price of this and the all singing all dancing J72 would be far beyond my means were I in the market for them.  I restarted in the hobby 5 years ago and, aware that prices were only going to go in one direction and that my income is fixed (pensions), I made a concious decision and effort to concentrate my spending on the RTR locos I needed for my layout, mostly Bachmann GW tank locos.  The lead time for the 94xx, which became a major headache for me and a cause celebre here.  The root cause was that it might have appeared at any time and was repeatedly deferred for one reason or another, and having to keep money back against the possiility of it appearing at short notice had a knock on effect on my spending for several years.  I've got one now and am very happy with it and what I paid for it (thank you Rails of Sheffield). 

The EFE 02 seems quite reasonable by current standards, and is a nice little thing.  'There's nothing here for meeeeeee' of course, except the BR grey 3-planker, but I wasn't expecting much and am thus not that disappointed.  What would be exciting would be a totally new loco, one that has never been done in RTR before, and these are increasingly unlikely as pretty much every loco from the last 100 years has been produced during the last 50, as have most coaches and a good number of goods vehicles.  Even fruit quite high on the tree has been picked a long time ago.   

Bachmann have successfully overhauled their announcement policy, and I like to convince myself that my consistent wailing about the 94xx may have had a part to play in this but am likely deluding myself.  For all we know, my much requested 2721 in saddle and pannier versions may be secretly in the pipeline, but if it is I hope it will be under the EFE banner as I won't be able to afford a Baccy version!  But I'm not holding my breath; Bachmann would be out of business in a very short time if they regarded the likes of me as the sort of customer they need to profitably market stuff to...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Can't help but think there was a missed trick with todays announcement in not adding sound fitted 150/2s in GWR / Northern liveries given their recent releases (though may have sold me the current non-sound fitted one in that case as had been waiting in case).

Even so looks like it may just be the Intercity 47 and the DRS Club Mk2s this time around ... And maybe a RFD 47 ... And maybe a Petroleum 47 ...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, RJennings said:

Can't help but think there was a missed trick with todays announcement in not adding sound fitted 150/2s in GWR / Northern liveries given their recent releases (though may have sold me the current non-sound fitted one in that case as had been waiting in case).

That rather misses the point of Bachmann's new mode of operation.

They only announce what is in production / being shipped!

Which of the models announced today would you like to have been deleted (and therefore no be in production) so as to make room for your 150/2s?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

There's been a change at Bachmann that doesn't seem to have been remarked upon… all of its first new OO models were steam outline. Whereas all the new tooling main range items (I.e. not the Precedent) are diesel locos, and they are all, except for the 69, new versions of existing items. And they've surrendered the GW Mogul and Manor to Dapol and Accurascale…

Whilst the N gauge releases are extremely meagre — and I understand why Osborns feel the way they do, given the stupidly raised expectations — I've come to realise that I just don't care anymore whether Farish produce any new items ever again. I'm losing interest in British prototype bit by bit, and most of the locos I am still interested in are more likely to be produced by Dapol (a new "small Prairie" and Ivatt tank to join the M7, please) or Sonic, or even Union Mills. Most of the freight rolling stock could be got from Peco or Dapol too. For modern outline there's Revolution Trains. Farish are now less relevant to me than ever before.

Congratulations. You have just reached the position occupied by SR modellers in OO with regard to Bachmann prior to the relatively recent point at which they "discovered" the SECR, the LBSCR, and EMUs. :rolleyes:

Two locos (N and LN, the latter subsequently surrendered to Hornby without a fight), the old Bulleid coaches, an express goods brake plus (later) a couple of vans was just about it for Bachmann's first quarter-century!

I agree that they seem to have decided that post-steam is where they currently want to be going, though.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Them DRS coaches look mint, I have a rake of ScotRail/DRS Hornby 2Fs behind a 68 I was already thinking of selling as they are sorta out of region for me, but these are definitely tempting given the ScotRail release coming too (they were often mixed in together on the Fife circle trains). I do also like the idea of DCC on the coach, and I am pleased Bachmann do them already fitted, not sure I can stomach over £500 on a rake of 6 coaches that have niche interest on my layout though!

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 4

At last, some decent DRS Mk2Fs...I knew it paid off not succumbing to the Hornby offering :D

Question though, these shall be my first Bachmann Mk2Fs. Do the standard coaches still have the Central Door Locking Light & Interior Lighting and to operate them all I have to do is fit a DCC Chip?

OR

Are said parts only installed on the DCC Onboard versions? If that is the case, are the CDL lights just painted on the standard release? 

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 159220 said:

At last, some decent DRS Mk2Fs...I knew it paid off not succumbing to the Hornby offering :D

Question though, these shall be my first Bachmann Mk2Fs. Do the standard coaches still have the Central Door Locking Light & Interior Lighting and to operate them all I have to do is fit a DCC Chip?

OR

Are said parts only installed on the DCC Onboard versions? If that is the case, are the CDL lights just painted on the standard release? 

I believe you need the DCC version as the DC versions do not have the lighting.

It always amuses me that after product announcements, we always hear some describing how disappointed they are that there is nothing new for them.

Bachmann now announce items that they expect to be available within 3 months. If anyone expects a whole years' worth of products to arrive in this time, then they really need to think again.

At least there is now less than 3 months to wait before the next announcement.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

It always amuses me that after product announcements, we always hear some describing how disappointed they are that there is nothing new for them.

Bachmann now announce items that they expect to be available within 3 months. If anyone expects a whole years' worth of products to arrive in this time, then they really need to think again.

At least there is now less than 3 months to wait before the next announcement.

As a modeller of the South Western section of BR Southern Region in the steam era, "nothing for me" has been my default reaction to Bachmann announcements for many years.

I've seldom been "disappointed", however much I'd like to be.:devil:

I do know, though, that at least one of their quarterly announcements in 2022 will delight me.  :rolleyes:

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I do know, though, that at least one of their quarterly announcements in 2022 will delight me. 

Oh, you bet!

Me too.

And at least I've got a pair of lovely EFE-branded Kernow O2s on the way in the meantime.

Pete T.

Edited by PJT
Forgot to include 'at least'.

As I model modern image I’m happy with the drs coaches for the collectors club and got me thinking are Bachmann going to retool the dbso for the drs and nr version. Also I ordered the deluxe 47828 to use on my charter stock but surprised no modern ones such as a gbrf 47 was announced in the first lot