Bachmann/Farish Autumn 2021 Update

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Take heart! There's still plenty going on from the likes of Dapol, Revolution and all the cottage industries to keep us entertained. 

I've been working with some 3D Print producers and we have a workable APT-P and TransPennine Class 185 with 3D print bodies and Electra vinyls (if you wish). There is so much choice out there that requires a little modelling work.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 04/08/2021 at 10:46, KDG said:

Cars are a good analogy. I really like the Landrover Discovery Sport, just my personal preference, I'm not forcing anyone else to like it. Or argue about how green it isn't. But I know I can't afford it, so I move on and stick with my 18 year old freelander, which is perfectly adequate for my needs really.

f it is any consolation, my mate has a 17 plate Discovery Sport and he hates it. His previous was a 51 plate Disco series 3 (I think) which his missus made him get rid for a newer model. 

• Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, Covkid said:

f it is any consolation, my mate has a 17 plate Discovery Sport and he hates it. His previous was a 51 plate Disco series 3 (I think) which his missus made him get rid for a newer model. 

Slightly  OT.

A different category of car. Discovery Sport is intended as replacement for Freelander 2, so not as capable as the full blown Discovery.

Edited by KDG
Smelling pistake
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Craig1989 said:

As I model modern image I’m happy with the drs coaches for the collectors club and got me thinking are Bachmann going to retool the dbso for the drs and nr version.

Would be useful to know as I have the bits ready to start a conversion of an Airfix BSO to a DRS one!! Seems a logical step given both DRS and yellow things always seem to sell.

On 04/08/2021 at 15:11, Chris M said:

As an N gauge modeller I'm going to be positive.

My sincere thanks to Dapol, Revolution, Sonic, Peco, Union Mills and Rapido for supporting us N gaugers. Also thanks to Kato for bringing out an excellent British model a few months ago. I don't think I've missed  anyone out. 

I guess I was a bit disappointed when I wrote the above. To be fair to Bachmann/Farish they have recently  brought us the truly excellent 8F, quite possibly  the best N gauge British steam outline loco you can buy. So thanks to Bachmann/Farish as well.

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 1

Also where would I be without Farish Mk1s and Warships? Farish mk1s are the mainstay of my passenger fleet. The up and down Cornish Riviera Express circa 1968. I might get another Warship when the new batch arrive, you can never have too many. Apologies for thread drift but I think it’s relevant to acknowledge the contribution Farish have made to N gauge over the years.

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/08/2021 at 12:21, Chris M said:

Apologies for thread drift but I think it’s relevant to acknowledge the contribution Farish have made to N gauge over the years.

Can't disagree with that, but given the small number of announcements under the Farish brand it's really frustrating that there's a real lack of re-runs of the bread-and-butter models in recent years - the last run of Mk1 SK was five years ago for example! it's been six years since the last run of Blue/Grey Mk2a TSO. I really do feel sorry for anyone trying to get started in the hobby these days.

Steven B.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Steven B said:

Can't disagree with that, but given the small number of announcements under the Farish brand it's really frustrating that there's a real lack of re-runs of the bread-and-butter models in recent years - the last run of Mk1 SK was five years ago for example! it's been six years since the last run of Blue/Grey Mk2a TSO. I really do feel sorry for anyone trying to get started in the hobby these days.

Steven B.

I'm hoping that Farish will be sensible and add blue/grey Mk2a TSO when the Regional Railways liveried versions come along, it can't be that hard can it?

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, steve1023 said:

I'm hoping that Farish will be sensible and add blue/grey Mk2a TSO when the Regional Railways liveried versions come along, it can't be that hard can it?

And a Regional Railways BSO?

No, it can't be that hard surely....

Hopefully we'll both be pleasantly surprised by the Winter announcement!

Steven B.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steven B said:

And a Regional Railways BSO?

No, it can't be that hard surely....

Hopefully we'll both be pleasantly surprised by the Winter announcement!

Steven B.

Well, actually I'm pushing the boat out and hoping for a Mk2a BFK - I think it's the same bodyshell. 

• Like 1

Something worth updating from the Autumn Bachmann Times. The works report, for both Bachmann and Graham Farish new items in development, now only has one item 'in the drawing office' , which is the 'oo' (009) Baguley-Drewry 70hp diesel. All the other previously announced items are in more advanced development stages. This means anything else being researched, will only be announced at a later stage, which is Bachmann's stated method announced last year. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 months later...

I am sure Andy mentioned it in a reply to me but for the life of me I cannot now find it :mellow:. does anyone know when the next quarter's announcements will be made? I thought it was to be some time in early November, but I haven't seen a notification from Collectors' Club so am wondering if I am wrong. 

I am not sure if I will break off this quarter to watch it, based on the dismal performance as far as new N is concerned in recent times I may not, but like a moth drawn to a flame, in an act of what may be self inflicted pain I just might...

Roy

• RMweb Gold

My frothometer is not registering anything much at the moment, but any announcement involving either an 1854/2721 saddle/pannier or a Diagram N or A10 panelled auto trailer will see it going a bit insane.  And a pair of TVR gangwayed auto trailers will send it into orbit.

Not holding my breath, though.  Some unfitted opens in early BR plain wood livery would be nice, but apart from that I'm pretty much sorted for wagons.  Maybe Blue Box have been secretly working on South Wales Collett 57' bowended non-gangwayed coaches to challenge Hornby's London or Birmingham area ones, or even flat enders, but I can't realistically see that it would be worth their while.

The other low hanging coach fruit would be scale length Dean non-gangwayed clerestories or 4-wheelers, perhaps in a generic form (I'm looking for 4 wheeled brake 3rds that do not have the LBSCR balloon duckets at the ends, duckets for a central guards' compartment, to reproduce a Glyncorrwg type miner's train, too lazy to build Ratios...).

6 hours ago, woodenhead said:

My Frothometer is staying strictly flat

Likewise, the only things I can foresee as potential models up my street (other than something completely new which I doubt will be coming given there's been quite a lot if new tooling in OO already this year) would be a Northern 158, DB or orange FL 90 or if they did a 47 in a present date state (might be a CC release, but I think this time will be N simply because there's been a few OO in a row IIRC).

Yay! New things. :sungum:

Maybe I'm different to many as I have quite varied tastes. I don't think there has been a recent announcement where I haven't bought something.

I have a sneaky feeling that the Bulleids will be somewhere in this or the next announcement. They surely must be due as the EPs surfaced about a year ago....

Jason

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1