EFE Adams O2 tank.

AY Mod

• Moderators

E85007 OO LSWR Adams 02 182 SR Maunsell Green £149.95

E85007.jpg
E85008 OO LSWR Adams 02 34 'Newport' SR Malachite Green £149.95

E85008.jpg
E85009 OO LSWR Adams 02 31 'Chale' BR (Ex-SR) Malachite Green (British Railways) £149.95

E85009.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Glad to see these come with a 'firearms pack', Graham!

EDIT : Bachmann mention a powerful coreless motor. Some were less than impressed with the DJM motor - is this new?

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 2
  • Funny 4

20 minutes ago, MattA said:

That's a big price for a small tank engine. Then again, everything is getting expensive these days...

Hopefully these will run nicely, because an O2 would be very appropriate for my layout.

Ignore the RRP. They're £127.95 at Kernow with the IoW ones being slightly more.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/65604/E85007-EFE-Rail-LSWR-Adams-O2-Steam-Locomotive-number-182 

Which I don't think is far off the price when they first appeared as a Limited Edition as Hattons still have a couple of the old version left at RRP.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/170436/dj_models_k2104_class_o2_0_4_4t_30225_in_br_black_with_late_crest/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, MattA said:

That's a big price for a small tank engine. Then again, everything is getting expensive these days...

Hopefully these will run nicely, because an O2 would be very appropriate for my layout.

The ones I have here run very nicely.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

That looks spectacular. I hope @AY Mod can find the time in his day to drop the link in the Bachmann 47 thread, as it was quite categorically stated there that there would not EVER be another EFE product :)

Adding one of these to my wishlist. The liveries look brilliant; top notch paintwork.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

32 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Ignore the RRP. They're £127.95 at Kernow with the IoW ones being slightly more.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/65604/E85007-EFE-Rail-LSWR-Adams-O2-Steam-Locomotive-number-182 

Which I don't think is far off the price when they first appeared as a Limited Edition as Hattons still have a couple of the old version left at RRP.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/170436/dj_models_k2104_class_o2_0_4_4t_30225_in_br_black_with_late_crest/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

52 minutes ago, MattA said:

I agree with Southport, I think these prices are actually quite reasonable, relative to everything else at the moment. A very pleasant surprise indeed. I am considering one for a conversion back to LSWR condition, I live on the island and it would be a nice, if not a bit out of place, addition to my collection.  

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Otis JB said:

I agree with Southport, I think these prices are actually quite reasonable, relative to everything else at the moment. A very pleasant surprise indeed. I am considering one for a conversion back to LSWR condition, I live on the island and it would be a nice, if not a bit out of place, addition to my collection.  

Yeah I hadn't seen the prices on the Kernow site. That's pretty reasonable. Hopefully they run as good as they look because I feel that I'm going to be getting one!

Edited by MattA
  • Like 1

Bearing in mind the IoW Terriers on offer, I think this is a clever move. I’ll be very interested to see how they turn out. If Bachmann has a hand in them, I’m sure the liveries will be excellent. Going by the Austerities, the motor will be beefed up but not much else will be altered. On the single O2 I have, the coupling rods flail around at odd angles due to the slop they were given to accommodate the gear drive to both driving axles. If this were to be addressed, I’d be very happy.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Is there any info on how the mechanism has been sorted? Or do you have time to video one running Graham?

I don't have a video, the design is unchanged and all the examples I have run very well. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

I don't have a video, the design is unchanged and all the examples I have run very well. 

Ok thanks Graham, I find my two a little inconsistent on running quality occasionally. They’ll run fine most of the time then seem to bind a bit which is slightly irritating at a show and then work fine again. I’ve cleaned and re greased them but every now and again they play up. Thing is they are one of my favourite models so I’ll be up for more in IoW condition and fingers crossed it’s just a random ‘funny five minutes’ thing with mine. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, No Decorum said:

On the single O2 I have, the coupling rods flail around at odd angles due to the slop they were given to accommodate the gear drive to both driving axles.

Mine did this as well so I removed one of the final drives and it seems to have improved this.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

W24 Calbourne announced as Exclusive to Isle of Wight Steam Railway online shop

E85013_24_1_web.jpg.1f44798e6a3a5c62ac81262da5615cf0.jpg

More details here https://southern-railway.com/2021/08/05/exclusive-to-isle-of-wight-steam-railway-efe-rail-adams-o2-w24-calbourne-in-00/

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Graham_Muz said:

W24 Calbourne announced as Exclusive to Isle of Wight Steam Railway online shop

E85013_24_1_web.jpg.1f44798e6a3a5c62ac81262da5615cf0.jpg

More details here https://southern-railway.com/2021/08/05/exclusive-to-isle-of-wight-steam-railway-efe-rail-adams-o2-w24-calbourne-in-00/

;) Mate of mine from the IoW just sent me a link too, ltd edition of 500, now 499 :) 

• Like 2

Dont buy one of these if you run DC with feedback, they are awful !

It is a splendid model and much needed for my layout, but the two I purchased ran very very badly.

I have inproved things a bit by installing a pea bulb which acts like firebox glow, which has smoothed out the lumpiness of there running qualities.

Its a shame that it was designed for the DCC world. I am always looking around for a replacement motor that can cope with DC Feedback controllers, however have not found one yet. Shame Bachman have not changed the motor, if they had, I would have purchased a few more.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Jim104 said:

It is a splendid model and much needed for my layout, but the two I purchased ran very very badly.

I have inproved things a bit by installing a pea bulb which acts like firebox glow, which has smoothed out the lumpiness of there running qualities.

Its a shame that it was designed for the DCC world. I am always looking around for a replacement motor that can cope with DC Feedback controllers, however have not found one yet. Shame Bachman have not changed the motor, if they had, I would have purchased a few more.

What feedback controller are you using? As discussed in these parts most "modern" DC feedback controllers are OK with most coreless motors 

• Agree 3

30 minutes ago, Jim104 said:

You may be disgusted by this suggestion but I have found that installing a decoder helps a coreless motor to run smoothly on DC.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

You may be disgusted by this suggestion but I have found that installing a decoder helps a coreless motor to run smoothly on DC.

No Decorum, not disgusted at all, only ever willing to improve my knowledge, even at my senior years ! LOL,

Tell me more, what decoder is required ? Have you done this and seen the results ? How does a DCC chip allow a DC controller to control it ?