EFE Adams O2 tank.

AY Mod

2 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I did ask before but maybe the post was lost in froth? Is there possibly going to be a further release in BR Livery or did I miss the announcements?

Thanks

Phil

Nothing more announced other than the 3 EFE and IoW Ltd edition. Always future possibilities

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Nothing more announced other than the 3 EFE and IoW Ltd edition. Always future possibilities

Thank you. No problems, but as they seem to go so fast I wanted to be alert...the Country needs Lerts.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, melmerby said:

It might be in a brand new and bigger EFE/Bachmann box but still says Kernow on the bottom of the loco!

Good that Kernow still get some sort of credit. The DJ-era must have been a nightmare for a minnow-manufacturer, but healthy sales now indicate the products were what the market wanted. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, wightaway said:

Yep, got my model from the IOW delivered a few days ago. I hoped it was a bad instance but from what I see here perhaps not -_-

From what I can see from the attached photos, one side (white paper) shows a dip of the running plate around the cab.

I think the other side (black ruler) doesn't just go up at the end, rather it also dips at the front of the tank and then recovers upwards as you can see from the third photo with the ruler aligned with the bottom of the buffer beams at both ends.

For all the rest of the detail it's a shame a fundamental quality control issue wasn't caught for that price. I'll let the shop know so they can feed back.

IdT-g7EI8yh33YZKKcKoa1tFl9vSekODq5bpoi53

spacer.png

e5R6rpk8g45lStmDeS4NSTCYaXkdz99ZZyXdP2E-

I don't get anything from those links, just a monotone "No Entry" symbol in the middle of the page.

Trying it another way (Google account) I get "Malformed address"

• Like 1

I received my stocks today. As someone who is a fan of the IOW railways, I was very keen to see the new versions. A very nice looking model indeed. I think I may have to hang onto one of them!

Still have stocks of all three versions

www.a2bmodelrailways.co.uk

IMG_4568.jpg.8351f856c2818541b235daa7962012a9.jpg

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I don't get anything from those links, just a monotone "No Entry" symbol in the middle of the page.

Trying it another way (Google account) I get "Malformed address"

Sorry, it wouldn't let me upload on my PC so I reverted to pasting links which displayed in the editor but only for me it seems! Trying again on the phone.

inbound8417106872775144505.jpg

inbound3686096760444803943.jpg

inbound1743274487833175233.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Good that Kernow still get some sort of credit. The DJ-era must have been a nightmare for a minnow-manufacturer, but healthy sales now indicate the products were what the market wanted. 

I agree.  By the way, on the underside of the box there's the KMRC logo and, in suitably prominent letters, 'Distributed on behalf of Kernow Model Rail Centre' with the Camborne address underneath.  Whatever the terms of the deal were between Bachmann/EFE Rail and KMRC, the packaging certainly gets the O2's origins nicely acknowledged in EFE Rail stockists around the model railway world.

Pete T.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, wightaway said:

Sorry, it wouldn't let me upload on my PC so I reverted to pasting links which displayed in the editor but only for me it seems! Trying again on the phone.

image.png.efc4f353b8d03a749664f2fd56385f9f.png

Microwave PCB elements?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, melmerby said:

image.png.efc4f353b8d03a749664f2fd56385f9f.png

Microwave PCB elements?

Looks that way, my guess is a sample PCB, to show a fab's capabilities, which can be used as a rule / straightedge, I've collected a few of those over the years.

• Like 1

On 04/08/2021 at 10:50, woodenhead said:

@Graham_Muz Is the Maunsell version an early livery sample, the tank sides and boiler seem to be the right shade of green but the back of the cab and the steps seem a different shade.

Just received my olive green version (182) and it does appear to have some colour variation as suggested previously, which is a little disappointing.20210817_214811.jpg.19d5a5b74b84065d30f2ffb8a6831bf4.jpg Having said that I do feel, barring some frustrating quality control issues, we are now experiencing a golden age of ready to run OO/4MM products. Long may it continue (or at least until my money runs out).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

Looks that way, my guess is a sample PCB, to show a fab's capabilities, which can be used as a rule / straightedge, I've collected a few of those over the years.

Close - it's a microwave ruler from SV1AFN. I also have the bigger one. Lets you see what's possible and how much space it needs.

https://www.sv1afn.com/en/pcb-art/?pnum=2

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Given all the wobbly running boards on display, how much more would it put on the purchase price to have them made from metal?

Given the way so much stuff is glued to them it strikes me a fundamentally flawed option as distortion during assembly is going to be so much easier.

I know some would baulk at the cost, but the way this latest batch has been received by the market suggests a higher purchase price could be tolerated.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chris Wood said:

Just received my olive green version (182) and it does appear to have some colour variation as suggested previously, which is a little disappointing.

Does it look like that to your eyes ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Chris Wood said:

Under the fluorescent lighting the colour variation is noticeable. I will check this in natural light to see if its any different.

Notoriously useless for colour comparison unless they are colour matching tubes

The problem is the spikes in the colour spectrum emitted by these lights.

e.g.

image.png.e2a208e0e2bdda22b97cb84e82e1193c.png

• Like 2

It is notorious that photographs can’t be relied upon to give a precise record of colour and the lighting conditions cause great variability. However, a comparative shot, such as this one can show up inconsistencies. Colour can even look different on the curve of a boiler and the flat side of a tank but in this case, both surfaces are flat.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I just got a reply from the IWSR shop regarding the wobbly O2 running plates. Apparently the proprietor and the loco foreman have checked the original 3D scans and the real life W24 and they both show the deviations seen on the model.

So we can all be happy that we have a faithful reproduction of Calbourne in preservation.

As long as you have a model of Calbourne... ;)

Edited by wightaway
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, wightaway said:

I just got a reply from the IWSR shop regarding the wobbly O2 running plates. Apparently the proprietor and the loco foreman have checked the original 3D scans and the real life W24 and they both show the deviations seen on the model.

So we can all be happy we have a faithful reproduction of Calbourne in preservation.

So we should expect to see this running plate distortion in all the 02 models, irrespective of running number, unless W24 has specific tooling to model the prototype distortion. :unsure:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

So we should expect to see this running plate distortion in all the 02 models, irrespective of running number, unless W24 has specific tooling to model the prototype distortion. :unsure:

No, it’s so slight on my one I had to look along the footplate to see anything, so I’m quite happy even though I know something’s there as I can’t see it side on,  and Newport is straight. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, wightaway said:

So we can all be happy that we have a faithful reproduction of Calbourne in preservation.

Hmm, so are we seeing a repeat of the Dean Goods situation Oxford where details picked up by the CAD scan ended up as spurious rivet detail on the splashers?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

No, it’s so slight on my one I had to look along the footplate to see anything, so I’m quite happy even though I know something’s there as I can’t see it side on,  and Newport is straight. 

My 'Cambourne' 'Calbourne' and 'Chale' are much straighter than the Olive version which seems to be the worst affected model based on the photos I have seen so far.

Something to do with where / how the detailing is added perhaps? On the IOW versions the air tanks are mounted on top of the water tanks while on 182 they are stuck to the running plate.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Unless some of the versions had the meshes straightened/adjusted and others weren't?

I'm more inclined to believe the added detailing causes it if it varies between finishes. My other suspicion was the modern style packaging with the foam only pressing on certain parts of the bodyshell. But I don't mind if nothing else comes of it. I'm happy to tell anyone who notices that the real Calbourne is wobbly too :D

• Like 1