EFE Adams O2 tank.

AY Mod

Hi folks, just to say that many of the real O2s had dips in the running plates, and this model was produced from scans of W24 at the Isle of Wight Steam Railway, so if anything it's prototypical:

IMG_20210817_170228.jpg

The dip was particularly visible on W28, as can be seen in this photo above the front steps:

W28-KW1679_xgaplus.jpg

My new O2 model looks great and from a normal viewing distance, any dip in the running plate is hard to spot, if it's even there at all! 

Cheers

Edited by J-Mo Arts
  • Like 2

I recently received a book on the IOW railways for my birthday. Front cover picture shows an unidentified 02 with  running plate that definitely rises at the front, at least four further pictures show such distortion. I had to look closely to see the distortion on my shop display model of "Chale", although it is evident on the photo one of my earlier posts.

• Like 4

On 18/08/2021 at 07:05, Chris Wood said:

Under the fluorescent lighting the colour variation is noticeable. I will check this in natural light to see if its any different.

Here's the model in natural light. Unfortunately I would say there is a colour variation between the rear bunker/steps and the rest of the loco (boiler and cab front). Excellent model though. 20210819_081422.jpg.b37832d699848294048c26afee23ff63.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yep, I can see the difference when viewed under a fluorescent light and a tungsten light bulb, but not under LED lighting which is what I mainly use. If the sun ever comes out here I'll check it in sunlight. In all cases it looks worse in the photo than in reality.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

54 minutes ago, Nile said:

Yep, I can see the difference when viewed under a fluorescent light and a tungsten light bulb, but not under LED lighting which is what I mainly use. If the sun ever comes out here I'll check it in sunlight. In all cases it looks worse in the photo than in reality.

Definitely looks like the footplate/steps and rear half of the cab were painted on a different line to the boiler/tanks and front half of the cab, and not from the same batch of paint. Looks like it has been for a part repaint in the works !

All the best

Ray

• Agree 4

From my research on the O2's, I do not think that E85008 OO LSWR Adams 02 34 'Newport' is accurate. My understanding is that the loco's cab roof did not have a ventilator installed. The roof fitted to E85007 OO LSWR Adams 02 182 would be more correct for Newport. I also believe that three other IOW examples may have been similarly fitted and No. 33 Bembridge had a unique ventilator fitted.  Also, I understand that 34 'Newport' did not have a manufacturers plate fitted to the back of the bunker and was provided only with a transfer.

In respect of wonky running plates, from my (admittedly distant) memories of the IOW O2's in service, a running plate that was slightly out of true may well be prototypical for many locos. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/08/2021 at 09:27, Chris Wood said:

20210817_221155.jpg

Couldn't understand them looking so different as mine's colour variation was less noticable to the eye.

So I took a photo, outside under cloudy skies, to show there wasn't much of a problem and hey presto:

182.jpg.9b16ae8acb15ae00d4fe5a22a19ff144.jpg

Just as bad.

The camera must accentuate the variation.

Here's another view, this time the wobbly offside but taken with flash:

182b.jpg.eacbc5c2c55838e914879e076e92d4fb.jpg182.jpg.9b16ae8acb15ae00d4fe5a22a19ff144.jpg182b.jpg.eacbc5c2c55838e914879e076e92d4fb.jpg

Notice how the flash has changed the ratio of the colours, the Olive Green looking nearer to the colour on the bunker.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

All this talk about an engine being painted in two different shades of green reminds me of a certain large prairie (I say with apologies to Didcot!)...

As the saying goes, "there's a prototype for everything"! ;)

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, friscopete said:

Mine is OK under LED lights ,shows up in fluro and a bit better under  tungsten.My layout has fish tank LED lighing .nice model .

Fish tank lighting used to have a large UV component which could change the appearance of certain pigments.

I had some 22W fish tank fluorescents and they had really odd colour rendition.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, kebwight said:

From my research on the O2's, I do not think that E85008 OO LSWR Adams 02 34 'Newport' is accurate. My understanding is that the loco's cab roof did not have a ventilator installed. The roof fitted to E85007 OO LSWR Adams 02 182 would be more correct for Newport. I also believe that three other IOW examples may have been similarly fitted and No. 33 Bembridge had a unique ventilator fitted.  Also, I understand that 34 'Newport' did not have a manufacturers plate fitted to the back of the bunker and was provided only with a transfer.

In respect of wonky running plates, from my (admittedly distant) memories of the IOW O2's in service, a running plate that was slightly out of true may well be prototypical for many locos. 

There’s ‘wonky’ and downright uneven.

Given a 4mm scale model is considerably smaller than the real loco then any ‘wonkyness’ seen on Calbourne should be smaller on the model - not larger than in real life as it seems to be the case for many of the Olive versions (but not the Malachite IOW ones).

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Fish tank lighting used to have a large UV component which could change the appearance of certain pigments.

I had some 22W fish tank fluorescents and they had really odd colour rendition.

LEDS seem fine  ,not the same as Grolux  tubes  and you can turn it all to night at the flick of a switch and it has built in brackets .My layout is California sunny .I have just bought an LED garage light 4ft  as replacement for a fluro tube so I will rig it up and compare colours.

Edited by friscopete

• RMweb Premium
On 18/08/2021 at 22:30, andyram said:

I recently received a book on the IOW railways for my birthday. Front cover picture shows an unidentified 02 with  running plate that definitely rises at the front, at least four further pictures show such distortion. I had to look closely to see the distortion on my shop display model of "Chale", although it is evident on the photo one of my earlier posts.

The distortion on both the Malachite IOW ones is nowhere near as bad as that displayed on the mainland Olive liveried 182!

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, friscopete said:

I have just bought an LED garage light 4ft  as replacement for a fluro tube so I will rig it up and compare colours.

I replaced two 5ft fluorescents* in the kitchen with 5ft Leds They are very bright and very white @ 6000 lumens each and 6400K

I'll have to see what 182 looks like there!

*These:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/V-TAC-Fittings-Integrated-1500x74x24mm-Lighting/dp/B07GCKDM6N/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2A5D0ZY6FL6B4&dchild=1&keywords=v-tac+50w+5ft+led+batten&qid=1629412592&sprefix=V+tac+leds%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-5

EDIT

The fluorescents in the railway room (6 x 5Ft for a 20' x 12' space) need new tubes after about 10 years use, so I might change those.

Edited by melmerby

On 14/08/2021 at 10:38, Ausfan said:

Does anyone else's example have the running plate slightly warped?

I've seen another example and it's the same.

A gentle undulation on the nearside and curving up a bit at the front offside before the bufferbeam.

Yes sadly mine does. I'll be at the IOW next weekend for an event so will return/replace it and see if it's the whole batch, or just a few that are affected.

I'm not on board with it being prototypical - there is no gap between the tanks and the running plate on the real loco. The model is warped :huh:

IMG_0449.jpg

SGA2021 - 1.jpeg

SGA2021 - 2.jpeg

SGA2021 - 3.jpeg

Edited by samfieldhouse
added pics
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

14 hours ago, melmerby said:

Couldn't understand them looking so different as mine's colour variation was less noticable to the eye.

So I took a photo, outside under cloudy skies, to show there wasn't much of a problem and hey presto:

182.jpg.e43d88421cc95f7b0d36fa32b82088cb.jpg

Just as bad.

The camera must accentuate the variation.

Here's another view, this time the wobbly offside but taken with flash:

182b.jpg.45644ba30c795da1512d7c67499fe9eb.jpg

Notice how the flash has changed the ratio of the colours, the Olive Green looking nearer to the colour on the bunker.

The overscale and badly quartered coupling rods catch the eye so quickly that minor niggles like the livery sort of go un noticed.  Even 1938 Hornby Dublo had better rods

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samfieldhouse said:

Yes sadly mine does. I'll be at the IOW next weekend for an event so will return/replace it and see if it's the whole batch, or just a few that are affected.

I'm not on board with it being prototypical - there is no gap between the tanks and the running plate on the real loco. The model is warped :huh:

IMG_0449.jpg

That looks like an assembly issue to me.

One of my Bachmann MR 1P 0-4-4Ts was like that, solved by taking the body off and then taking the body apart and reassembling it.

More towards the rear and cab/bunker end though. It seemed to me that the person assembling it was a bit too over enthusiastic on tightening things. Every screw was far too tight and it was like everything was forced.

The other two are perfect and I can't remember that issue being mentioned by anyone else so I think it was a one off.

Jason

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

The overscale and badly quartered coupling rods catch the eye so quickly that minor niggles like the livery sort of go un noticed.  Even 1938 Hornby Dublo had better rods

Funny you should say that. I was wondering how they managed to get the rod to match the angle of the running plate. (Melmerby’s bottom picture above.)

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

That looks like an assembly issue to me.

One of my Bachmann MR 1P 0-4-4Ts was like that, solved by taking the body off and then taking the body apart and reassembling it.

Jason

Similar situation and fix reported for the first batch of Hornby A2/2s. The idea that these running plates are distorted by design is frankly bizarre.  OK so the 3D CAD of the prototype would show it, but that's near the start of the model design process, not the end.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

Funny you should say that. I was wondering how they managed to get the rod to match the angle of the running plate. (Melmerby’s bottom picture above.)

It's the oversize holes as I assume they are just cosmetic, like DJ's 48XX for Hattons, with both axles driven by the gear train.

One of the unnecessary quirks of DJ's design.

• Agree 3

11 minutes ago, melmerby said:

It's the oversize holes as I assume they are just cosmetic, like DJ's 48XX for Hattons, with both axles driven by the gear train.

One of the unnecessary quirks of DJ's design.

My original J94 had that ridiculous 6 wheel drive mechanism that just caused it to grind to a halt. I removed it, returning it to 2 wheel drive and let the rods do their job - works fine. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1