EFE Adams O2 tank.

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I’d be happy with gated stock or with no more than two Maunsells.That way you have a prototypical branch line train that looks right.

That's what mine is paired with.

Managed to find some Olive ones in stock at a discount last Thursday evening, they were delivered Saturday morning.

This place:  https://youngstersworld.com/

Excellent service

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

What other 0-4-4 tank models in rtr  can come close to prototypical performance straight out of the box  ? 

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a model 0-4-4T will struggle to keep its feet, given the difference in weight distribution inevitable in a model compared to the prototype.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a model 0-4-4T will struggle to keep its feet, given the difference in weight distribution inevitable in a model compared to the prototype.

The power train needs to have a tungsten chassis and all available space filled with ballast and the cab backwards needs to be made of tissue paper.:jester:

The 48XX 0-4-2T is similarly "haulage challenged".

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Willoughby Glen said:

But doesn't that contradict what a review is.  In any field a review is carried out of the item you have purchased straight out of the box, not of the replacement.  If it was of a replacement and we found out after the review that they had swapped it, would we not then loose confidence in the reviewer, especially if we bought it and then found the faults seen with the first one.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread these from a distance look fab, its just let down by the issues with the front bow and more importantly the issue that it cant pull prototypical length formations.

A genuine reviewer will want to give a product a favourable review if it is possible to do so. If one gets an apparent 'dud' (and it does happen from time to time) then I would expect to contact the supplier for a replacement. The review would then be a distillation of the two models, pointing out that there were issues with one (hopefully not both) of them. (CJL)

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

I have one of the original Kernow IOW locos and initially it wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Now it's run in it will haul 8 modified clerestories - two more than prototype -  with modified roofs, repainted and fitted with lights, painted in SR green to represent IOW coaches. Fitting the coaches with metal wheels made up some of the difference but now it runs really nicely.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 20/08/2021 at 01:37, samfieldhouse said:

Yes sadly mine does. I'll be at the IOW next weekend for an event so will return/replace it and see if it's the whole batch, or just a few that are affected.

I'm not on board with it being prototypical - there is no gap between the tanks and the running plate on the real loco. The model is warped :huh:

IMG_0449.jpg

SGA2021 - 1.jpeg

SGA2021 - 2.jpeg

SGA2021 - 3.jpeg

Does the body come off the running plate (in which case something wasn't properly secured in the factory), or if it all comes of the chassis in one, can't you persuade the running plate to sit correctly.

Obviously you can just call IOWSR and ask them to put another to one side, as you really shouldn't have to dismantle a brand new model if you don't want to

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

A weight diagram for the Midland 0-4-4T shows typical loaded weights of 15 t 10 c on the leading axle, 16 t 10 c on the driven axle, and 21 t 4 c on the bogie - so about 60% of the weight on the coupled wheels.

The O2 is 15T + 15T + 18T 8cwt in pre IOW form. IOW ones have more weight at the back with the larger bunkers.

• Informative/Useful 1

Summer season train lengths on the Isle of Wight were as follows,

Ryde-Ventnor  6 coaches.

Ryde- Cowes   4 coaches.

Newport-Sandown 3 or 4 coaches.

Newport-Freshwater 3 or 4 Coaches.

Brading-Bembridge  2 coaches. Usually but not always a P&P set.

Merstone- Ventnor West  2 coach P&P set.

As the recent EFE  IOW O2's are in malachite, all IOW lines were still open during that period.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

My DJ IOW version took four (almost five) coaches round the club layout.  - ie four on a curve, five (just) on level straight.

Filling the smokebox with a lead plug added enough traction to make a six coach train possible.  These were Hornby Mark ones...

My N-gauge G5 (rebuilt Dapol M7) will take a coach more propelling smokebox first than pulling either way round.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

My DJ< IOW version took four (almost five) coaches round the club layout.  - ie four on a curve, five (just) on level straight.

Filling the smokebox with a lead plug added enough traction to make a six coach train possible.  These were Hornby Mark ones...

My N-gauge G5 (rebuilt Dapol M7) will take a coach more propelling smokebox first than pulling either way round.

Les

My 182 takes a push pull gate stock twin. It won't pull 4 Hornby Maunsell rebuilds, which the Hornby H class does, with ease.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, melmerby said:

My 182 takes a push pull gate stock twin. It won't pull 4 Hornby Maunsell rebuilds, which the Hornby H class does, with ease.

I wasn't intending to compare the O2 with another type, but to point out that a plug of lead in the smokebox improves traction, and that any 0-4-4 tank should propel more than it can pull (smokebox first) as the weight of the coaches help the driving wheels to dig in and improves adhesion.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos...
  • Like 1

Unfortunately the shop I'd ordered Chale from didn't have any left to send - sold out on pre-order! To their credit they didn't mess about and refunded in full.

Fortunately for my malachite cravings, the IOW seem to have some Calbournes still in stock, so I've ordered one of those.

It's not every day when the regular production run vanishes from stock before the Limited Edition!

• Like 1

Hi,

In response to the haulage capacity comments, I've been sent a video by a friend who has had his new EFE O2, unmodified, hauling 10 coaches around his layout with ease, and I believe it's the same with his Kernow O2s as well. The train was made up of a mixture of Hornby Bullied & Maunsell and Bachmann Birdcage Coaches.

Unfortunately I can't share the video, partly because it is not mine to share but also I can't get it off my phone onto a computer at the moment.

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

In response to the haulage capacity comments, I've been sent a video by a friend who has had his new EFE O2, unmodified, hauling 10 coaches around his layout with ease, and I believe it's the same with his Kernow O2s as well. The train was made up of a mixture of Hornby Bullied & Maunsell and Bachmann Birdcage Coaches.

Unfortunately I can't share the video, partly because it is not mine to share but also I can't get it off my phone onto a computer at the moment.

Simon

All with Black Beetle motor bogies:jester:

Mine struggles with 4 on the level and 6 or so leaves it standing there with it's driving wheels slowly rotating but going nowhere. (Maunsell or Birdcage)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, melmerby said:

All with Black Beetle motor bogies:jester:

Mine struggles with 4 on the level and 6 or so leaves it standing there with it's driving wheels slowly rotating but going nowhere. (Maunsell or Birdcage)

mine struggles with 4 Hornby maunsells, with the kernow's push pull set its lovely.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

mine struggles with 4 Hornby maunsells, with the kernow's push pull set its lovely.

Glad I'm not the only one to think that 10 coaches is pure fantasy.:yes:

I tried mine yesterday with 6 coaches and it wouldn't even move them. When increasing the controller from zero (no sudden power on!) all that happens is the driving wheels slowly rotate at about once in 5 seconds.

• Like 1

On 22/08/2021 at 14:04, Willoughby Glen said:

But doesn't that contradict what a review is.  In any field a review is carried out of the item you have purchased straight out of the box, not of the replacement.  If it was of a replacement and we found out after the review that they had swapped it, would we not then loose confidence in the reviewer, especially if we bought it and then found the faults seen with the first one.

Not if the reviewer is open about the fact that it’s a return. It depends on whether the purpose is to give a prospective buyer a balanced view on a model or just churn through them. 

What @dibber25 said, really

Edited by truffy
Just read CJL’s more incisive reply

• RMweb Premium

I've now got mine running round a test track (an oval with R3 curves) hauling 20 Hornby 4 wheelers, the new ones not the silly shorties. I don't think I've reached its limit yet, but I'm running out of coaches and the train is occupying half the oval already. That's about 8 feet of coaches.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

There is a nice video on Facebook showing an unmodified EFE O2 running quite happily along with ten assorted coaches in tow.  The author says his other one can do likewise and his two DJM O2s aren't that much weaker.......

I was offered this group as a suggestion by FB but as I'm not a member I can't post the URL.

Les

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Nile said:

I've now got mine running round a test track (an oval with R3 curves) hauling 20 Hornby 4 wheelers, the new ones not the silly shorties. I don't think I've reached its limit yet, but I'm running out of coaches and the train is occupying half the oval already. That's about 8 feet of coaches.

How?

Mine is just too light to pull anything over 4 bogies which is real struggle anyway and with 6 as I posted wont move at all.

That is on dead straight and level track.

Must see if I can find some really light and free running vehicles to try.

• Like 1

I've got my Calbourne now and I'm pleased with it. The running plate is straight and true, and it runs smoothly and quietly.

It can haul quite a lot on level track, but very little on an uphill gradient - but haulage is no great concern to me as my layout is not very large and thus demands small trains.

• Like 1