EFE Adams O2 tank.

AY Mod

35 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

What feedback controller are you using? As discussed in these parts most "modern" DC feedback controllers are OK with most coreless motors 

I am and have been using for the past 10 years 'TRAX' controllers. They are DC feedback. I have also got gaugemaster feedback controllers which when used on the 02's makes the running even worse. I have always found the gmaster feedbacks a lot 'courser' in operation when compared with the 'TRAX' ones.

I have other coreless models that the 'TRAX' controllers control and run well. (One exception is the Kernow Warship model which accelerates in steps rather than smoothly)

17 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

I don't have a video, the design is unchanged and all the examples I have run very well. 

Hi Graham.

I intend investing in several of these.

One of the issues with the first releases was the pulling power. Now if you intend to model a train on the main Ryde to Ventnor section, you would want to be able to pull at least six coaches. (I think that most of the trains were grouped 3 + 3 coaches).

Having spoken to a couple of layout operators with IoW layouts, they said that the first ones were not up to the job and even after stripping out the DCC socket and fitting extra weight in the smokebox they still could not pull the load.

Has the weight and or balance been improved ?

All the best

Ray

PS. Is 182 a pull/push fitted loco ? There are no additional pipes on the buffer beams, but there seems to be a fair amount of plumbing on the side of the smokebox.

I have one of the Maunsell liveried EFE Gate Stock sets and need an appropriate loco to run with it.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi Graham.

I intend investing in several of these.

One of the issues with the first releases was the pulling power. Now if you intend to model a train on the main Ryde to Ventnor section, you would want to be able to pull at least six coaches. (I think that most of the trains were grouped 3 + 3 coaches).

Having spoken to a couple of layout operators with IoW layouts, they said that the first ones were not up to the job and even after stripping out the DCC socket and fitting extra weight in the smokebox they still could not pull the load.

Has the weight and or balance been improved ?

All the best

Ray

PS. Is 182 a pull/push fitted loco ? There are no additional pipes on the buffer beams, but there seems to be a fair amount of plumbing on the side of the smokebox.

I have one of the Maunsell liveried EFE Gate Stock sets and need an appropriate loco to run with it.

As I have said before the mechanics have not been amended.  There does seem to have some variation in performance with some models, mine have all been fine. 

Yes 182 is a pull push fitted version and the buffer beam pipes are included within the accessory pack, that I had not fitted for the pictures I took.

As I advised in my blog post here https://southern-railway.com/2021/08/04/Bachmann-showcase-product-announcements-autumn-2021-includes-class-new-liveries-and-efe-rail-adams-o2-class-locos/ 182 in lined olive green and pull push fitted as she was between December 1934 (when the ‘E’ Prefix was removed) and gaining unlined black in 1941 she was allocated to Plymouth Friary during this period.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

As I have said before the mechanics have not been amended.  There does seem to have some variation in performance with some models, mine have all been fine. 

Yes 182 is a pull push fitted version and the buffer beam pipes are included within the accessory pack, that I had not fitted for the pictures I took.

As I advised in my blog post here https://southern-railway.com/2021/08/04/Bachmann-showcase-product-announcements-autumn-2021-includes-class-new-liveries-and-efe-rail-adams-o2-class-locos/ 182 in lined olive green and pull push fitted as she was between December 1934 (when the ‘E’ Prefix was removed) and gaining unlined black in 1941 she was allocated to Plymouth Friary during this period.

Many thanks for that info.

All the best

Ray

1 hour ago, Jim104 said:

No Decorum, not disgusted at all, only ever willing to improve my knowledge, even at my senior years ! LOL,

Tell me more, what decoder is required ? Have you done this and seen the results ? How does a DCC chip allow a DC controller to control it ?

I have to begin with some disclaimers. I have a feedback controller but very seldom use it as my Gaugemaster twin controller is fine. I also haven’t got an EFE Adams O2 to experiment with. I have a DJM O2 but I haven’t used it much because the coupling rods assume odd angles in use and I haven’t bothered installing a decoder.

It seems that the O2 has not had a motor upgrade although the EFE Austerities have had.

I have four DJM Austerities. One is a dreadful performer no matter what I do but the remaining three have had decoders installed and work reasonably well. I also have two of Kernow’s North British diesel hydraulics with coreless motors (which came to market larger than the original DJM motors which were proposed). These were very poor runners but the installation of decoders solved all running problems.

For the EFE O2s, a Bachmann 36-568A decoder is recommended (about £25·45 after 15% discount). Fitting should be relatively easy because it’s plugged into a PCB which is withdrawn through the smokebox door; the latter is attached magnetically. Other six-pin decoders are available.

As to how a DCC decoder allows a DC controller to control it, your guess is as good as mine. Some decoders can be programmed so that they do not work on DC.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Most decoders, but not all, have an option to work on DC, but only if the requisite value has previously been set in CV29 using a DCC system. Obviously lights and sound cannot be controlled. Anecdotally the running on DC may sometimes be better than the same loco without a decoder. It is unlikely to be worse.

• Like 1

If Graham 'Muz' is watching this thread, I have a  question he might know the answer to...

The availability of spare parts - I remmber David Jones asking me why on Earth I would want to dismantle the loco in the first place (!), but in the course of various dismantlings, alterations and repairs, I have lost a number of parts over the years.  Are they going to be available?

Meanwhile they fill a gap in my BR IOW roster and I've ordered a "Calbourne" and a "Newport", both in Malachite

Chris Gardner

Edited by ChrisG
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, ChrisG said:

If Graham 'Muz' is watching this thread, I have a  question he might know the answer to...

The availability of spare parts - I remmber David Jones asking me why on Earth I would want to dismantle the loco in the first place (!), but in the course of various dismantlings, alterations and repairs, I have lost a number of parts over the years.  Are they going to be available?

Meanwhile they fill a gap in my BR IOW roster and I've ordered a "Calbourne" and a "Newport", both in Malachite

Chris Gardner

Spare parts for the EFE models will be via Bachmann Service Department.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm not that familiar with the class (though I read the relevant volume of Bradley many years ago). What are the obstacles to this model representing 1890s condition? I imagine there may have been some Drummondification in the early 20th century?

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm not that familiar with the class (though I read the relevant volume of Bradley many years ago). What are the obstacles to this model representing 1890s condition? I imagine there may have been some Drummondification in the early 20th century?

I'd have been very interested in one in LSWR livery - I think the only change would be the chimney?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I'd have been very interested in one in LSWR livery - I think the only change would be the chimney?

I was wondering about boiler mountings generally but the impression I get from this model is that, as you say, it's the chimney only. Alan Gibson does a couple, 4M677/8; also a smokebox front, 4M699 (so is that another difference), and an Adams dome, 4M698, should that be necessary.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Originally the O2s where introduced were fitted with either version of Stovepipe chimneys (standard tall or cast type), these were replaced by the Drummond chimney with 8 still carrying the stove pipe at time of grouping. Originally no coal rails but one fitted they were initially the open type.  

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

Originally the O2s where introduced were fitted with either version of Stovepipe chimneys (standard tall or cast type), these were replaced by the Drummond chimney with 8 still carrying the stove pipe at time of grouping. Originally no coal rails but one fitted they were initially the open type.  

Good, I thought they might have been reboilered by Drummond. So there's really no very great obstacle to EFE producing one in any appropriate LSWR livery - just need to set up to make the Adams chimney?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Good, I thought they might have been reboilered by Drummond. So there's really no very great obstacle to EFE producing one in any appropriate LSWR livery - just need to set up to make the Adams chimney?

Other than cost to tool it, though I suspect the appetite for rtr pre-grouping locos has expanded of late.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Other than cost to tool it, though I suspect the appetite for rtr pre-grouping locos has expanded of late.

1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

8 still carrying the stove pipe at time of grouping.

No obstacle to late LSWR livery, in fact, since 52 engines had the Drummond chimney before grouping. When were Drummond chimneys first fitted?

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

No obstacle to late LSWR livery, in fact, since 52 engines had the Drummond chimney before grouping. When were Drummond chimneys first fitted?

Number 183 in 1903 was the first fitted with a Drummond Chimney. I dont have dates for the fitting to individual engines.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

No. 223 gained a Drummond boiler (with the dome top safety valves being the identifiable feature) in June 1907 and No. 191 in Jan 1909. eight IoW versions gained the Drummond boiler between 1926/30 but were disliked on the island and regained Adams boilers in 1936/8. 

Various mainland engines had Drummond boilers at various times during their lifetime.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Graham_Muz said:

No. 223 gained a Drummond boiler (with the dome top safety valves being the identifiable feature) in June 1907 and No. 191 in Jan 1909. eight IoW versions gained the Drummond boiler between 1926/30 but were disliked on the island and regained Adams boilers in 1936/8. 

Various mainland engines had Drummond boilers at various times during their lifetime.

From which I infer that the EFE model depicts an Adams boiler.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Compound2632 said:

From which I infer that the EFE model depicts an Adams boiler.

Yes that is correct. The tooling does not cater for the Drummond boiler or numbers 227-36 that had the 6inch taller cab.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 04/08/2021 at 22:43, Ben Alder said:

Mine did this as well so I removed one of the final drives and it seems to have improved this.

That is very interesting. I assumed that the holes in the coupling rods were large to allow the rods to accommodate the movement of the gears and consequently removing the gear would make matters worse. I think taking a look will be added onto my queue of jobs. Thank you.

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Though the Drummond boilers (or at least some of them) continued to float around for some time - W22 had one for quite a while, and W31 had one at the end of it's life. As you say they were not popular with the crews!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Though the Drummond boilers (or at least some of them) continued to float around for some time - W22 had one for quite a while, and W31 had one at the end of it's life. As you say they were not popular with the crews!

Indeed in later on the IoW were as follows:

W18 1858 to 1962

W22 1963 to 1966

W25 1948 to 1952

W27 1956 to 1961

W29 1950 to 1952

W31 1963 to 1967 

W33 1948 to 1950 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Indeed in later on the IoW were as follows:

W18 1858 to 1962

W22 1963 to 1966

W25 1948 to 1952

W27 1956 to 1961

W29 1950 to 1952

W31 1963 to 1967 

W33 1948 to 1950 

I think I make that no more than two at any one time, with a gap 1952-6. Did IoW engines have heavy overhauls on the Island or where they shipped to Eastleigh?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I think I make that no more than two at any one time, with a gap 1952-6. Did IoW engines have heavy overhauls on the Island or where they shipped to Eastleigh?

The vast majority were done at Ryde, I believe only one (W29) was sent back to Eastleigh for overhaul. Individual boilers were sent over though - and there was a special boiler truck built (Island-style, bodged from something else) to transport them between Ryde works and St Helens quay.

• Agree 3