EFE Adams O2 tank.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, melmerby said:

All with Black Beetle motor bogies:jester:

Mine struggles with 4 on the level and 6 or so leaves it standing there with it's driving wheels slowly rotating but going nowhere. (Maunsell or Birdcage)

mine struggles with 4 Hornby maunsells, with the kernow's push pull set its lovely.

2 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

mine struggles with 4 Hornby maunsells, with the kernow's push pull set its lovely.

Glad I'm not the only one to think that 10 coaches is pure fantasy.:yes:

I tried mine yesterday with 6 coaches and it wouldn't even move them. When increasing the controller from zero (no sudden power on!) all that happens is the driving wheels slowly rotate at about once in 5 seconds.

On 22/08/2021 at 14:04, Willoughby Glen said:

But doesn't that contradict what a review is.  In any field a review is carried out of the item you have purchased straight out of the box, not of the replacement.  If it was of a replacement and we found out after the review that they had swapped it, would we not then loose confidence in the reviewer, especially if we bought it and then found the faults seen with the first one.

Not if the reviewer is open about the fact that it’s a return. It depends on whether the purpose is to give a prospective buyer a balanced view on a model or just churn through them. 

What @dibber25 said, really

Edited by truffy
Just read CJL’s more incisive reply

I've now got mine running round a test track (an oval with R3 curves) hauling 20 Hornby 4 wheelers, the new ones not the silly shorties. I don't think I've reached its limit yet, but I'm running out of coaches and the train is occupying half the oval already. That's about 8 feet of coaches.

• Like 1

There is a nice video on Facebook showing an unmodified EFE O2 running quite happily along with ten assorted coaches in tow.  The author says his other one can do likewise and his two DJM O2s aren't that much weaker.......

I was offered this group as a suggestion by FB but as I'm not a member I can't post the URL.

Les

32 minutes ago, Nile said:

I've now got mine running round a test track (an oval with R3 curves) hauling 20 Hornby 4 wheelers, the new ones not the silly shorties. I don't think I've reached its limit yet, but I'm running out of coaches and the train is occupying half the oval already. That's about 8 feet of coaches.

How?

Mine is just too light to pull anything over 4 bogies which is real struggle anyway and with 6 as I posted wont move at all.

That is on dead straight and level track.

Must see if I can find some really light and free running vehicles to try.

I've got my Calbourne now and I'm pleased with it. The running plate is straight and true, and it runs smoothly and quietly.

It can haul quite a lot on level track, but very little on an uphill gradient - but haulage is no great concern to me as my layout is not very large and thus demands small trains.

• Like 1

I'm also getting a distant memory of the traction of some locos improving with age. Something to do with the surface of new wheels being slippery, and when that wears away grip improves. Just a thought.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 29/08/2021 at 13:08, Nile said:

I'm also getting a distant memory of the traction of some locos improving with age. Something to do with the surface of new wheels being slippery, and when that wears away grip improves. Just a thought.

That's certainly happened with my Dapol 43XX. It doesn't slip as much as it did when I first had it.

Strange as you would expect the opposite with usage polishing the wheel tread!

• Informative/Useful 1

Just come back from my local model railway supplier with two of the new 02s, the mainland one and IoW Chale.

The first one we opened the box on (Mainland) had one of its coupling rods flailing around with the pin missing from one end, and the pin did not appear to be loose in the box. That will be going back to Bachmann.

Having a chance to have a good close look with my Optivisor, I am very pleased with the livery finish on both locos, although there is definitely a strange colour contrast between the front section of the mainland loco and the bunker sides as previously noted on here. This seems to change when you look at it in daylight or artificial light. I think that I can live with it. Perhaps a little weathering will blend it in.

By the way, I have one of the new Gate Stock sets in Maunsell green, so would the 02 be normally coupled to this at its bunker end ? This would allow me to fit all the pipes and a scale screw link coupling on the front buffer beam without a need to the NEM coupling for a tidy appearance.

We had one of these new ones and one of the original DJ ones down at our club last week on our Crystal Palace High Level layout. This is modelled post 1925, so features the third rail for which we have used the PECO fittings. Neither of them worked particularly well, although I cannot vouch that the track was 100% perfectly clean. I tried to determine what the problem might be and speculated that it might be the brake rodding riding on the third rail in places. On close inspection I was amazed by the considerable side play on both the driving wheels and the bogie ones, which I thought might let the loco take up an unrealistic stance particularly when going through curves and pointwork especially where it would be running through reverse curves.

With regard to the brake rods, they did not look too close to rail height, but perhaps the joints might come into contact with the third rail especially with the amount of sideways motion of the wheels. The rods are fairly accessible and the plastic seems quite workable, so maybe a little filing might be appropriate to give some more clearance without anything being visible from above. Has anyone else with a Southern Electric layout had similar problems ?

I will probably give these a run next week on some of the non-electrified sidings to see if they run better on that.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Informative/Useful 1

If I remember correctly there was mention of the Third Rail issue in the previous thread.

Although that might have been a different loco I suspect it was this one. Worth a look through the thread, although it is 72 pages long. Just look for pages after it turned up rather than the first few.

Jason

I'm very late to this model having only recently added SR operations to my plans. It was also with considerable nervousness on my part, given the history of issues reported here and for the Mark I Kernow release, coupled with my long running bad luck when buying small wheelbase locos.

Thanks are due to the couple of members who shared their personal experiences and opinions before I went ahead. Thanks also to everyone here who has alerted the issues to watch out for when buying. I then asked KMRC to kindly check and run my model before shipping overseas and full credit is due them as they delivered me an intact fully working model!

As to operation, I followed the running-in instructions in full and it proved to be a very sweet mechanism. Running  at about 1/4 full speed SWMBO walked past asking, "weren't you going to run that?" not able to hear anything much at all, nor was there!

Regarding pulling power, clearly the design has major limitations. Initially after running in I gave it a load of two old Hornby GWR clerestories (160g each - the added weight to improve running / stability, one has been re-wheeled in metal) and a Parkside Wagon. It would barely pull them around a curve.

I gave it a lighter load of a single current release coach + the wagon and just let it run at 2/3 full speed for some time. The improvement in pulling was almost visible as this run continued. This morning I back went to the two Clerestories and it pulled them with ease. I suspect that replacing the 2nd Coach's wheel set would be all that's needed to improve further. TBH I'm not that fussed about pulling power for my setting but still it was good to have the model come good.

One interesting thing about the EFE product is that the enclosed documentation omits some useful information for anyone interested in removing the bodywork, e.g to install sound. A check back to the Kernow site provides the answer in the form of the original Instruction sheet, downloadable including how to dismantle, should you dare.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
On 07/09/2021 at 00:24, BWsTrains said:

It was also with considerable nervousness on my part, given the history of issues reported here and for the Mark I Kernow release, coupled with my long running bad luck when buying small wheelbase locos.

That made me smile - I have the same bad luck but with 2-6-4 tanks! Never had one that hasnt had a problem!!

• 2 weeks later...

As I am acquiring several IoW locos, I have purchsed the new book "Locomotives of the Isle of Wight Railways"  A very informative book and on P105 there is a picture of W34 in Malachite green.  The text reads - "The view shows it shunting it a Ryde PH on 17th May 1948 and shows that it had numerals (34) on the bunker back rather than a brass numberplate"  This is not replicated on theEFE mopdel which has the brass nunberplate.

• Agree 1

Well I'm very happy and pleasantly surprised.

The IOW Steam Railway replaced my wonky Calbourne.  The replacement is not wonky or with gaps between the plate and the tanks.

Additionally it's probably the best out of the box runner I've owned; smooth, quiet and super slow if needed. Really impressed.

I'm (finally) very happy! :D

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3