High Level Pannier Tank Chassis advice

I'm currently well on the way with one of these and enjoying the process.  Following Chris's excellent instructions to the letter (well, more or less anyway).  However, Chris does rather skim over the question of pickups apart from stating that holes for plunger pickups are included on the frames.  I'm not all that convinced by these (I know some people swear by them - others at them!) so, as I'm sure that there must have been several built by GWR modellers here, could I ask how you have fixed pickups on your build(s)?  I had a similar experience with my 14xx chassis build and managed to fabricate some but I've a feeling that doing something similar with the Pannier version may well be a bit trickier.

Hoping someone can help.

20 hours ago, 5050 said:

Thanks, I'd forgotten about the CLAG site Pannier chassis notes.  I'll take a more detailed look at them.

I had a look this morning to remind myself of the content and, now that I'm deeply into the build and understand the relationship between the various elements involved, am perplexed as to how they've fitted the 'outslung' pickups without any interference from the footplate when the chassis is attached.  I've got a piece of very thin double sided copper-clad sheet and even with this I don't seem to have sufficient clearance for the board, never mind the wires etc.  Perhaps I should contact them to ask how they've achieved this!

I'm building mine with the kit's compensation parts and, to enable the wheels to be dropped out - including the driven wheels and attached gearbox - have thinned down the motor attachment 'ears' to enable it to be slipped in from below.  I don't think that this will in any way affect the integrity of the attachment of the motor.