Express Daisy Sidings - Anshurst - an Inglenook

On my American small switching layout, which occasionally gets exhibited with public being offered a chance to operate, I don't power the track directly from the controller but have a centre off sprung loaded DPDT switch in the feed (mounted in a small angled fascia box positioned in front of the layout) to change direction of travel and set the speed as a slow constant on the controller which is tucked away behind the layout.  No manic shunting with this method!

Edited by 5050
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 07/08/2021 at 15:17, Oldddudders said:

And so it was one morning about 50 years ago at Morden South, the little Ruston had had enough for today, thankyou. So the dairy appealed to the signalman at St Helier, and he got onto Control, i.e. me. It was his opinion that on a good day the Ruston wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, but today it wouldn't go at all - was there any chance of a big railway loco just to help out with a shunt, please? I can't recall details but my loco colleague obliged and all was well. 

Interesting, can you recall what turned up to do the shunting? I have seen photos of a Q1 shunting Morden. Or would it have been a diesel by that point?

image.png.b447d5a4802c830ef15f79ad927277aa.png

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Steam was long-gone by then - nearly a decade on Central, four years on South Western. Almost certainly an EDL purloined from Wimbledon West Yard, after Inter-Divisional discussions between the two motive-power Controllers. Drivers being people, I bet the crew thought it a nice diversion. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 15/08/2021 at 10:38, Ruston said:

Tell them not to turn the knob so much. I'm being serious. I've read the same question several times here on RMweb and I've never understood why folks don't just do that. They talk about putting resistors and what not into locomotives to solve this "problem". They're just over-thinking it, IMO. I use DCC and some of the RTR engines will run a lot faster than is realistic and whilst I could look up how to do it, and set a CV or other, I find it easier to look at the engine and how fast it's travelling and then not turn the knob any further.

You could determine the top speed that you want and see where on the dial that is, and then tell them not to exceed 3 or whatever it may be? Or if you do want a physical means of restricting the speed, how about some sort of pin in the control knob and a stop glued to the body of the controller?

Hi Ruston,

That's a good point, well made.

As it was we held a small meeting of our area group on Sunday and I took along Daisy Sidings. 

We did have one operator who initially "struggled" with the speed dial on the controller. But he soon found that are settings below 11, and these gave better results.

So yes, perhaps over thinking it.

• Like 1

On 17/08/2021 at 14:02, 5050 said:

On my American small switching layout, which occasionally gets exhibited with public being offered a chance to operate, I don't power the track directly from the controller but have a centre off sprung loaded DPDT switch in the feed (mounted in a small angled fascia box positioned in front of the layout) to change direction of travel and set the speed as a slow constant on the controller which is tucked away behind the layout.  No manic shunting with this method!

This I like.

But again overthinking it....I wonder if you could actually do a R&H 48DS control panel? 

Controls for brake (progressive like the Pentroller), forward and reverse and a 3 speed gear box.

Any takers? :)

• Like 1

On 17/08/2021 at 14:34, Karhedron said:

Interesting, can you recall what turned up to do the shunting? I have seen photos of a Q1 shunting Morden. Or would it have been a diesel by that point?

image.png.b447d5a4802c830ef15f79ad927277aa.png

I have not seen that photo before.

A few things that I noticed.

What does that sign actually say on the left of the picture? I assume that it is no engines of some sort.

Behind the Loco is a Brake van. It could suggest that the shunt is to move empties out as the brake would need to be this end ready for reversal at St Hellier. But atop of the first tanker there is someone with the lid open. Based on what I understand of the operation, this is to take a sample of the contents. So this must a full tanker.

So what is going on here?

To the right behind the coal wagon is a good view of the buffer. It looks like a very substantial wall that has been painted white.

I think I will have that on the current layout.

Thanks for posting that.

Edited by brightspark
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, brightspark said:

What does that sign actually say on the left of the picture? I assume that it is no engines of some sort.

Behind the Loco is a Brake van. It could suggest that the shunt is to move empties out as the brake would need to be this end ready for reversal at St Hellier. But atop of the first tanker there is someone with the lid open. Based on what I understand of the operation, this is to take a sample of the contents. So this must a full tanker.

So what is going on here?

I can't make the sign out but I agree it is probably something along the lines of "No engines past this point".

The manhole on top of the tanks was also used for cleaning them out once they had been emptied. This was done at the receiving end wherever possible as any milk residue left in the tanks would be pretty nasty to shift by the time it had returned to the dispatching dairy.

I have often found it in equal parts fascinating and frustrating to work out exactly what is happening in particular pictures at dairies. My guess would be that the loco is collecting empties and the chap on top is probably either washing out the tank or getting ready to seal it up after cleaning. This is just a guess though.

Milk tanks were continuously braked so the position of the brake van was not particularly important. The tanks were normally tripped to Clapham Junction where they would be sent out west for refilling.

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 1

Upon reflection, I think that the brake is just being used here as a reacher because the 'dirty' steam engine mustn't go into the clean shed. 

I would have thought that you would want everyone off the wagons if the loco was buffering up. So it could be a case of  'is that still open'. But I would have thought that this would have been closed well before the train was due to leave.

Who knows what was really happening? They are probably long dead.

Meanwhile 235511 has acquired a driver.

128711694_20210819_204022r(2).jpg.664f02f70ddc41a324ce144a35c1551a.jpg

I suspect that he is in the wrong position. But looking at some videos including the ED film, it looks like leaning out of the cab is often done.

Play safe

A

Edited by brightspark
reapply photos
  • Like 7

http://Test Valley Sidings https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/166441-test-valley-sidings/

On 14/08/2021 at 18:44, brightspark said:

It has been suggested that a layout like this would be a good introduction to finescale modelling.

It was my intention to take it to exhibitions (when they start and if I get an invite) and let members of the public have a go at the challenge of operating it. 

I think that it will accompany me with the EMGS stand that I happen to be looking after. 

Corner of Expo EM for micro layouts?

Edited by bodmin16
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Activity this week saw the whole layout covered in a muddy brown colour.

This is the burnt umber poster paint that I use as base for scenic work.

I covered the bare area of board and under the tracks and painted the sides of the rails.

Next at the end I have started to make the gate that restricts the size of the headshunt.

1911951062_20210827_201851(2).jpg.2dcbfca1058407becab8fe568b5b9275.jpg

This is a Wills level crossing kit. I am basing this on the level crossing gates at Croydon power station.  (Surrey Steam, Welch.)

I have also started work on the timber crossing , roadway and bridge. 

1238161401_20210827_201950(2).jpg.c79d0776b2eab943a7f6990b79097dac.jpg

The boarded crossing is based on a photo of one on the Wisbeach & Upwell (page 114 Cameo Layouts). The bridge is going to be of a kind that I recall from youth with a boarded top and girder sides. At some point in the future, the boards would replaced by cement and covered in tarmac.

Then its back to testing to make sure that I have not gummed everything up.

Actually, as expected I had,  but the groundworks are just dropped into place, at the moment, so that they can be adjusted.

One lesson that I have learnt is to make sure that where the scenery adjoins the rail, that it is not higher than the rail top as the little Rushton will lift its wheels off the track.

Here is the layout being tested. The wagons are my existing stock and are also being tested to remove any faults, of which I have found plenty. Most of the errors are around the installation of the AJ couplings. So there has been lots of tweaking.

1186644105_20210827_203447(2).jpg.8e5f38c438bb519f36f64e7c6605d073.jpg

The levers with the white background are to operate the uncoupler magnets. Rotate down to raise the magnet and uncouple.

While I continue with the ground works it is time to consider the buildings. 

I could just scratchbuild something (but what exactly). However an easier option is to look at the ready to plonk or a kit that could be reworked.

The most obvious choice would be the Bachmann Milk depot.

(Image Bachmann)

image.png.154abb1c21effb47aea6f6d2ef4e7b23.png

But I think that this looks a little crude. However it has the character of Seaton, Vauxhall or perhaps Wimbledon. 

Scalescenes offer the industrial box file. But  I wonder how easy is this to reverse to suit my track layout. Also the buildings look a little too grubby for a dairy.

There is also the goods shed that could have potential. Chard made use of the old goods shed.

Another option could be the Industrial units or even the low relief factory. This would suggest that the site had a previous use and that the buildings were repurposed.

I also spotted in the current Hornby  magazine a dairy made up from a modified Walthers Red Wing Milling company mill. This is a nice post war feel about it. There is also the smaller low relief version. These look like some of the dairies in the west country and could be a good candidate for the Sussex/Hampshire area.

Anything else I missed or do any of you have an opinion as to which of the above would give the right character?

Meanwhile, while you ponder that, I have some shunting to do.

820196983_20210827_202100(2).jpg.538feee10159edc5c28770980f8b54b8.jpg

Andy

Edited by brightspark
changed Clapham for Vauxhall as I had the wrong location in mind. Reinserted photos.
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

That's quite a choice of structures, do you want to keep the micro small in all directions or will you be happy with the additional height of the Walthers models?  For my micro I put a back board on for back scene and then after a couple of months playing and pondering took 3 or 4 inches off to lower it.  The net result is that I can just about get the whole layout in my Tigra with the top down should I ever want or need to do so.  The two boards are joined face to face by pieces of ply on either end and the fiddle sticks easily fit behind the seats in the car itself.  With the top up the boot is positively cavernous so no issues in that respect, and as for the Mazda, I don't think I have ever seen a sallon with such a cavernous boot, I think Swaynton would fit in there!  Anyway I digress, my personal choice is height is not an issue would be the Walthers option or if I wanted a more rural feel then something smaller.  I like the gate, that is a great idea for the end of the scene.  The crossing gates on Cliddesden are of Peco origin IIRC, to which I fitted some mesh and then hinged them for operation with servos - that was a real labour of love. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Alan,

Ah yes, height.

First of all I was thinking of reducing the height of a Walthers structure if used.

But yes I will have to consider the height of the layout especially with the lighting rig being enclosed.

I guess that it will come down to the size of the "letterbox" at the front of the layout.

For that I will experiment with some cardboard.

Talking of cardboard, I have been doing some experimenting with sizes and shapes of structures. These may or may not be made from commercially available kits.

First lets remind ourselves of the type of thing that I am thinking of.

First we have the country receiving depot at Billingshurst.

image.png.6419bdfdbc385a139839347fe998eeea.png

I also stumbled across this site that has some nice pictures and memories of Chard Junction and the Creamery.

However at the moment the Sussex depot is my main inspiration. 

Here are some mock-ups of possible buildings.

The first is a general view with a even roof on the main structure.

1654368113_20210904_181454(2).jpg.cb7a5c58c6af2512812fa85d9cd52aaa.jpg

The building on the left of the road is just going to be a tin shed painted black. I made up the building shape as the first mock up for the main shed. But ended up just liking the simple shape of the structure. 

Across the concrete road is a representation of the office block from Billingshurst. I think it is a mess-room on the lower floor and the lab upstairs.

To the right of that is the main structure.

2049062873_20210904_181505(2).jpg.c22f66820be096837997b2c8c0cb9af2.jpg

I mocked up part of the platform and put on a Wills corrugated sheet for an idea of texture. Just look again at that roof in the still above, different angles and textures and then look at the sides.

I imagine that this is a reuse of an earlier building, perhaps ex- Ministry of Supply or Ministry of Food.

However I don't like the way that the roof line tapers.

The next photo an earlier attempt. I think that this is a bit more successful.

1049652154_20210904_194036(2).jpg.d06b1bfc11f454a1572f3d4d1766b60c.jpg

The height of the roof is perhaps better as is above the normal sightline when looking at the model.

The righthand block is about the size of the Walthers model but lowered. If I used this it would of course have a flat roof and perhaps retain the structure on top of the roof.

I would remove two of the floors if this was used.

image.png.b6214ee1066be8dcd8879334277f8d22.png

Back to the cardboard mock-up, I am not sure about the awning by the van and tank.

The awning at Vauxhall didn't seem to be a problem, as it was not cut away. But I wonder if this would have been a desirable feature.

Meanwhile I think that with arrangement for the lorry access that more poured concrete is required in the foreground and perhaps another access over the leat.

I'll leave you with a shot of two of the tankers that I purchased.  After looking at this thread on milk tank liveries, I am sure that the selection that I have gathered are incorrect for the period while at the same time possibly correct.

(these two liveries are in the film)

20210904_193713.jpg.e31bd44696a855c6351fa412b1f2532d.jpg

Andy

Edited by brightspark
reapply photos
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, brightspark said:

Hi Alan,

Ah yes, height.

First of all I was thinking of reducing the height of a Walthers structure if used.

But yes I will have to consider the height of the layout especially with the lighting rig being enclosed.

I guess that it will come down to the size of the "letterbox" at the front of the layout.

For that I will experiment with some cardboard.

Talking of cardboard, I have been doing some experimenting with sizes and shapes of structures. These may or may not be made from commercially available kits.

First lets remind ourselves of the type of thing that I am thinking of.

First we have the country receiving depot at Billingshurst.

image.png.6419bdfdbc385a139839347fe998eeea.png

I also stumbled across this site that has some nice pictures and memories of Chard Junction and the Creamery.

However at the moment the Sussex depot is my main inspiration. 

Here are some mock-ups of possible buildings.

The first is a general view with a even roof on the main structure.

1988356352_20210904_181454(2).jpg.4e3f0e759f717d25406520f566c4b7c6.jpg

The building on the left of the road is just going to be a tin shed painted black. I made up the building shape as the first mock up for the main shed. But ended up just liking the simple shape of the structure. 

1071524952_20210904_181514(2).jpg.16e6288a1b60da4c3026007a7e457a36.jpg

Across the concrete road is a representation of the office block from Billingshurst. I think it is a mess-room on the lower floor and the lab upstairs.

To the right of that is the main structure.

713368781_20210904_181505(2).jpg.f588f1245844e5ec2b4d7acf385eb3ca.jpg

I mocked up part of the platform and put on a Wills corrugated sheet for an idea of texture. Just look again at that roof in the still above, different angles and textures and then look at the sides.

I imagine that this is a reuse of an earlier building, perhaps ex- Ministry of Supply or Ministry of Food.

However I don't like the way that the roof line tapers.

The next photo an earlier attempt. I think that this is a bit more successful.

1070673040_20210904_194036(2).jpg.ec398c30a5cf827bbb334d064c19fcbc.jpg

The height of the roof is perhaps better as is above the normal sightline when looking at the model.

The righthand block is about the size of the Walthers model but lowered. If I used this it would of course have a flat roof and perhaps retain the structure on top of the roof.

I would remove two of the floors if this was used.

image.png.b6214ee1066be8dcd8879334277f8d22.png

Back to the cardboard mock-up, I am not sure about the awning by the van and tank.

The awning at Vauxhall didn't seem to be a problem, as it was not cut away. But I wonder if this would have been a desirable feature.

Meanwhile I think that with arrangement for the lorry access that more poured concrete is required in the foreground and perhaps another access over the leat.

I'll leave you with a shot of two of the tankers that I purchased.  After looking at this thread on milk tank liveries, I am sure that the selection that I have gathered are incorrect for the period while at the same time possibly correct.

(these two liveries are in the film)

20210904_193713.jpg.a40b78c13cb90e9e6d9d412b0f655b55.jpg

Andy

Bet that wagon's a bedford with a 6cylinder petrol engine.
Lovely wagon to drive.
The only other beast it could be is a Thames Trader.
Chris.

On 28/08/2021 at 20:02, brightspark said:

While I continue with the ground works it is time to consider the buildings. 

I could just scratchbuild something (but what exactly). However an easier option is to look at the ready to plonk or a kit that could be reworked.

You mention Scalescenes as a possible source, in the March 2019 issue Hornby Magazine included a low relief creamery/dairy  from Scalescenes, most of the Hornby scalescene kits have appeared for sale some time after they have been in the magazine, but this one has not yet done so. 

I downsized it to N gauge and was pleased with the result.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MyRule1 said:

You mention Scalescenes as a possible source, in the March 2019 issue Hornby Magazine included a low relief creamery/dairy  from Scalescenes, most of the Hornby scalescene kits have appeared for sale some time after they have been in the magazine, but this one has not yet done so. 

I downsized it to N gauge and was pleased with the result.

This one.

image.png.72b15c26acc8184d098790edf58b5caf.png

I like the Art Deco style (?) windows. Again a canopy over the platform.

Please post a picture as I would like to see how it looks on your layout. 

22 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Bet that wagon's a bedford with a 6cylinder petrol engine.
Lovely wagon to drive.
The only other beast it could be is a Thames Trader.
Chris.

If you mean this photo.

image.png.6f59b4edcda1d0bfa584869ebd239c83.png

It is a Bedford. Express Dairies seemed to like Bedfords.

image.png.24bd275294bcdf79da945403b58a1e2b.png

My good friend Mr Bixley is going to make one up for me.

If your are interested in the road operation of Express Dairies then I recommend have a look at The Express Dairy Motorised Fleet

A

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

And with a Perkins engine.

I thought I saw the interlinked circles.
The Bedford of that type I drove, briefly, had a petrol engine fitted. Like all Bedfords I have driven, apart from a five speed TK with a badly set up gearbox, I really enjoyed my aquaintance with it.
You could produce this wagon using Model Transport bits. I heartily recommend them.
Regards,
Chris.

Edited by Sandhole
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sandhole said:

I thought I saw the interlinked circles.
The Bedford of that type I drove, briefly, had a petrol engine fitted. Like all Bedfords I have driven, apart from a five speed TK with a badly set up gearbox, I really enjoyed my aquaintance with it.
You could produce this wagon using Model Transport bits. I heartily recommend them.
Regards,
Chris.

I think Gerry Bixley uses a lot of the RTI parts and I think may have helped develop the parts.

I shall point out to him the circles and see what he comes up with.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, brightspark said:

A thing of beauty.

Where is this?

Does anyone know what the history is?

A

Hopefully this link should work okay, it's at the Rutland Iron Ore museum.  Unfortunately there was nothing running today, but I will have to return at some point to see some action!  I found the place utterly fascinating.  https://www.rocks-by-rail.org/exhibit/rh-411319-army-110/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 06/09/2021 at 18:47, brightspark said:

Please post a picture as I would like to see how it looks on your layout. 

Sorry for the delay as the model is in store at the moment, it is one of the three N gauge diorama's that I built during lockdown, at some point they will be incorporated into a layout.

IMG_20210908_111034_893_hdr.jpg.a4b94ecfeb3c06daacdd7d61137b9fbb.jpgIMG_20210908_111044_253_hdr.jpg.a2b6d7ca6d293f8e073668e5222c3b87.jpg 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, bodmin16 said:

Hopefully this link should work okay, it's at the Rutland Iron Ore museum.  Unfortunately there was nothing running today, but I will have to return at some point to see some action!  I found the place utterly fascinating.  https://www.rocks-by-rail.org/exhibit/rh-411319-army-110/

The one in the posted pictures is not 411319, as shown in that link. That hasn't been at RBR for years. This one is 207103 and I believe it was new to Morris Motors, at Cowley.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Ruston said:

The one in the posted pictures is not 411319, as shown in that link. That hasn't been at RBR for years. This one is 207103 and I believe it was new to Morris Motors, at Cowley.

Thank you, I did wonder.  I was a little confused and the RBR website appears out of date but I could find no record of 207103 when I searched.