1968 Flying Scotsman 40th anniversary non-stop run.

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

Watching on BBC iPlayer earlier this evening, the 1968 40th anniversary of the Flying Scotsman’s non-stop run.  Behind the loco and it’s second tender, there were seven blue and grey Mk1’s including two buffets, of which one was at the rear.  I was wondering if anyone had the coach formation types, or even the coach numbers as it looked like a nice little train to model.

11 hours ago, jools1959 said:

it looked like a nice little train to model.

Even though it's shorter than many prototype services, a pacific with two tenders and seven on isn't what a lot of modellers would call a little train, but I suppose it does depend on what scale you're working in. 

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Even though it's shorter than many prototype services, a pacific with two tenders and seven on isn't what a lot of modellers would call a little train, but I suppose it does depend on what scale you're working in. 

It's little in respect to the normal 12 - 14 coach length's of the time.

The formation of the 1968 non-stop was:

BSK (CW)

FO (CW)

FO (BR1)

RK (B5)

TSO (BR1)

TSO (CW)

RMB (CW)

It appears to be ER stock except the Kitchen Car must be an LMR one as the ER didn't have any with B5 bogies. The FO with CW bogies is one of the 1956 batch E3076-80 with trial bogies.

• Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

12-14 coach trains in the 1960's were very unusual on the ECML.

My notes show most to be 8-9.

I think "most" being 8 - 9 is slightly stretching it a bit.  On weekdays some were and some of the SO extras were so there were more on a Saturday which is maybe when you observed them.  Below is from the 1968 CWN for weekday morning departures from KX which, from my recollection, is a typical mix of formations for the period:

0745 KX - Leeds: 8

0755 KX - Newcastle: 8

0800 KX - Edinburgh: 11

0820 KX - Leeds: 11

0900 KX - Newcastle: 13

0920 KX - Leeds/Bradford: 11

1000 KX - Edinburgh: 11

1020 KX - Leeds: 11

1050 KX - Sheffield: 7

1100 KX - Newcastle: 13

1130 KX - Harrogate: 8

1200 KX - Aberdeen: 12

Edited by DY444
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, DY444 said:

I think "most" being 8 - 9 is slightly stretching it a bit. 

I probably should have qualified it to my own observations which were evenings and weekends.

I'm working away at present and can only access some of my notes (those transcribed) and the average of those is 10 apart from the sleepers. It has reminded me that I must finish off putting my spotting notes into spreadsheets......Oh joy of joys...:rolleyes: