Pre-Grouping Locomotives

So finally taking the plunge and hoping to model some pre grouping locomotives in 7mm, and whilst I know a lot of really good kits already exist, I wanted to try my hand at seeing what I could potentially model and print, and more importantly practise my painting and modelling skills, so I thought I would kick off with this GER J69, modelled mostly from photographs found online mainly taken at the NRM. So I already know my interior for this isn't correct, but figured I would mock something up anyway when looking through the cab door. 

Once I have finished I hope to fit into onto a Dapol Terrier chassis as recommended by @thegreenhowards who gave me the idea in the first place.

Progress so far, i'm sure I have a few bits they need attention but looking forward to working out how to paint and line this baby, once I have printed it.

j68_05.jpg.6834913e4f2cbf5aaf619c8a997802b1.jpgj68_01.jpg.340c33253b133e897faa6424245bfa1d.jpgj68_02.jpg.2b7c7d66fd570ba3ddb1270ed72ca047.jpgj68_04.jpg.76ac890dbe6f6509ffbbd8ad61b1b9d1.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, woko said:

So finally taking the plunge and hoping to model some pre grouping locomotives in 7mm, and whilst I know a lot of really good kits already exist, I wanted to try my hand at seeing what I could potentially model and print, and more importantly practise my painting and modelling skills, so I thought I would kick off with this GER J69, modelled mostly from photographs found online mainly taken at the NRM. So I already know my interior for this isn't correct, but figured I would mock something up anyway when looking through the cab door. 

Once I have finished I hope to fit into onto a Dapol Terrier chassis as recommended by @thegreenhowards who gave me the idea in the first place.

Progress so far, i'm sure I have a few bits they need attention but looking forward to working out how to paint and line this baby, once I have printed it.

j68_05.jpg.6834913e4f2cbf5aaf619c8a997802b1.jpgj68_01.jpg.340c33253b133e897faa6424245bfa1d.jpgj68_02.jpg.2b7c7d66fd570ba3ddb1270ed72ca047.jpgj68_04.jpg.76ac890dbe6f6509ffbbd8ad61b1b9d1.jpg

Looking good Rob,

I’m no expert on the prototype but it captures the look. I look forward to seeing it in the flesh. Does this have to wait for your new bigger printer?

Andy

9 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Looking good Rob,

I’m no expert on the prototype but it captures the look. I look forward to seeing it in the flesh. Does this have to wait for your new bigger printer?

Andy

Cheers chap, no it will fit on my mono X so hope to start running some prototypes off soon, need to grab myself a donor terrier though to get it to sit on top properly.

Edited by woko
  • Like 1

update on the interior of the J69, its mostly what I have managed to see through glimpses through the cab door in various photographs online, so here it is the latest, which im hoping to print a test this week

j69_07.jpg.37fcfcb25ad0628e6747b6c58dea34ba.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

An update on some of the progress so far on this GER Buckjumper. So thanks to @thegreenhowards for lending me a 7mm Dapol Terrier chassis in which to build this around, and the reason the wheels are still in LBSCR Umber because I still have to purchase my own Donor Terrier and paint and line the wheels.

So I have been busy getting this to fit onto the Dapol chassis, and now it works seamlessly with the same screws that screw into the terrier body as well. This being my first attempt at a locomotive, and my first O gauge loco, I really wanted to practise and have a go at  hand lining with a pen, its not quite as I would like it if very honest, but hoping practise on future models will sharpen these skills up more. But I used Chris Arundell's Easi Liners, of which I have already managed to break one!!! My fault for mis use entirely.

The GER blue is also not quite right, but I am happy with it, and its closer to the NRM J69 blue which is obviously a bit darker.

I now need to source some transfers for this little loco, and decide what number to make this.

I have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed putting this little loco together, and even more so painting it, and now considering what next to build in 7mm, preferably something GER as well to accompany my little Buckjumper on the Club Layout, and something that could potentially easy get hold of a chassis for to build the locomotive around.

Cheers

RobIMG_2478.JPG.ff8ecbe04baa880449762e912d996e28.JPGIMG_2479.JPG.d64ee2c268ead83dfd8444a80be8f8d1.JPGIMG_2477.JPG.3c05f24c42f5f5ff819cfdc6052c01b4.JPGIMG_2475.JPG.497832e77175ee3e8abacb35065c019e.JPGIMG_2473.JPG.ee9dd9e4ac47937e657ad915ec765f2f.JPGIMG_2480.JPG.85305d12eef1372473f584c96b29a5c1.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

A question for you Rob. I’ve tried to add the four guard irons which you nagged reminded me about on Monday. Have I got these in the right place as photos all seem to be in deep shade.

F4A81F1B-B7F6-41C2-AB34-DB863275AABD.jpeg.f346697bab40c53b0ff9553f79538e51.jpeg

I presume I need to remove the comparatively puny Dapol equivalents on their Terrier chassis?

thanks

Andy

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

A question for you Rob. I’ve tried to add the four guard irons which you nagged reminded me about on Monday. Have I got these in the right place as photos all seem to be in deep shade.

I presume I need to remove the comparatively puny Dapol equivalents on their Terrier chassis?

thanks

Andy

Looking great Andy, and yes they are in the right place. You don't need to remove the others if you don't want, it is obviously more authentic if you do though! But I feel they give the locomotive a lot more weight at the bottom which feels right, less negative space below!

Good job on this, i see you still have the cab roof blu tacked in place, are you going to place any figures in the cab? Or will that obscure your awesome work you have done on the light up fire box :)

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, woko said:

Looking great Andy, and yes they are in the right place. You don't need to remove the others if you don't want, it is obviously more authentic if you do though! But I feel they give the locomotive a lot more weight at the bottom which feels right, less negative space below!

Good job on this, i see you still have the cab roof blu tacked in place, are you going to place any figures in the cab? Or will that obscure your awesome work you have done on the light up fire box :)

Thanks Rob,

I’m waiting to get some decent figures to put in the cab. The the ‘lid’ will be glued down.

Andy

• Like 1