Southern Pride

Derekstuart

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I am back after a near 2 year absence- undoubtedly I have a lot to catch up on.

Does anyone know if Southern Pride is still trading? I have sent them a couple of emails ***however*** I have been at sea and relying on satellites, so I cannot be 100% certain they've received my emails.

Their website now shows XXX against ordering 310/312 kits. I'm not entirely sure if that is temporary or permanent. My last email was asking if they were not continuing with production, whether they would consider selling/ licensing the artwork for production.

As ever, any information appreciated. No doubt as soon as I press enter, I'll find something on the search engine that I've previously missed.

Derek

There was another topic recently,  in essence he is still trading but some of the kits are not available as there was a standard component (the roof if I recall) used across a number of his coaches that he is unable to get. 

• RMweb Gold

I received a set of coach conversion parts from SP last week so am happy to confirm they are still trading.

The ordering setup is a bit old-fashioned in that you fill out an order form and post it to them with a cheque.  A week or so later the parts turn up with a very nice handwritten receipt.  It’s not a modern system but it works very well.

Not all the products are in stock and, as has been posted here before, MK1 based subjects are largely unavailable due to a lack of roof parts.  Those that are available are indicated by green ticks on the website.

It’s probably best to call SP on the phone rather than use email.

I appreciate that this is not a viable option if you are at sea, but if you are ashore for a few weeks it might be feasible.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a poke around yesterday to look for Mk 1 stuff. It looks a though Dave is no longer putting together actual Kits but is selling all the parts needed. I am not clever enough to work out what I actually need and miss the basic sets he did, (I think anyway), as well as the full Kits, which was usually a Body, Ends, UF and Roof so one could use Etched sides (Comet for example) and a choice of Bogies and small parts for a relatively easy Coach Build. I think he still has some Bulleid Basics, B1 and B2 . I am sure he is heading for 'retirement', but is happy to keep stuff available that is easy to deal with. Good luck to him.

Phil

• Like 1

I have places an order the other week, but I have not heard yet. I did write him a letter and he did reply. He is fulfilling my order as while he is out of Mk I coach roofs, he does have some with flaws on them, and I said I would be more than happy to take them and fix the small error.  However he has been dark for 10 days now, so I don't know if I need to write again in case there is an issue.

But, writing and including a stamped address envelope is the approach to take. It was actually fun to go old school. The last time I wrote a letter, 1st class was 26p ;-)

On 08/08/2021 at 07:54, Darius43 said:

fill out an order form and post it to them with a cheque

That is my problem, I am with Sterling Bank, and they don't do cheques, but I mentioned that in my first letter and he never picked up on it, so I thought he would be okay with bank transfer, but I may be wrong...

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Esmedune said:

That is my problem, I am with Sterling Bank, and they don't do cheques, but I mentioned that in my first letter and he never picked up on it, so I thought he would be okay with bank transfer, but I may be wrong...

There lies a problem then. However Dave is a reasonable bloke, so a compromise may be reached if you ask if you could speak to him on the phone. It is 'old school' but his willingness to do alternative stuff for customers is legendary. Make haste as I am sure he will be packing in soon to have a damn well earned rest.

Phil 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Esmedune said:

A Postal Order would also do the trick, you can still get them at Post Offices

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

There lies a problem then. However Dave is a reasonable bloke, so a compromise may be reached if you ask if you could speak to him on the phone. It is 'old school' but his willingness to do alternative stuff for customers is legendary. Make haste as I am sure he will be packing in soon to have a damn well earned rest.

Phil 

I ordered some stuff from him several years ago and as he lives in Kidderminster, I phoned him asked if I could collect said items in exchange for the folding stuff,  he was most amenable, provided it was the exact amount as he couldn't guarantee to have any change.

With regards Mr Duck's earlier comment Dave has certainly clocked up the miles, to the point where I was surprised that he was still trading,  so I would say that any availability is a bonus.

• Agree 3

On 17/08/2021 at 12:44, Mallard60022 said:

Phil 

I got an email from him last night, and he was happy with a bank transfer. So happy days!

• Like 2