Octel Ethylene Bromide tank from Dublo Chlorine tank and Appleby Caustic Soda chassis.

One of my aquisitions from the clearance of AME bits was a 'caustic soda' tanker chassis. Since Revolution/Rainbow will be doing this wagon rtr soon, I cast my eyes around for an alternative use, and i think this might be it https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/associatedocteltankwagon/h6A7320E3?fbclid=IwAR0WfaXqPxLFNW3xpHj8-znrVx3GtfCmNxp2KKUxkjaPd-O-rGmsWqlSfmY#h6a7320e3

I have a Hornby Dublo chlorine tank, and removing it from its chassis seems to give a tank of broadly the right diameter and length

image.png.d1d2a89ab6d2c29aa91e1dd7e220f57d.png

image.png.026a29b734fbd77367878fad92d4a3a4.png

The filler platform is a bit thick, but if I recover the filler cover dome, it might be possible to use the platform from an old Lima continental tank

image.png.eae81475815f7518c306e11da06a4418.png

The ribs on the tank need to come off, the flat area under the platform filled to round, and something needs to be done about the missing bottom of the ends, either filling, or perhaps a second donor top used upside down? Does anyone have one they might let go cheap?

image.png.5272249a53fd8572c9f361d57e82048f.png

Not one for the purists, but I reckon it won't be far off.

Jon 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, bazjones1711 said:

Looking good , what diameter is the barrel .. i may have some plastic tube off fax machine rolls which is about 30mm , if you ever require some .

Thanks Baz, I've got my own stock of fax roll inner tube - I used it for my Silver Bullets before Dapol spoilt that. The chlorine/ethylene bromide tank is much smaller at a shade under 25mm

Jon

• Like 1

Does anyone have a square on photo of the Associated Octel company logo, as fitted to these wagons in the 1980's? I've got the attached drawing from R. Tourret's book, but it appears to be a different 'generation'.

Equally has anyone measured one? It looks to me to be about twice the height of the solebar, so I'm thinking 2ft across the flats, or 8mm in 4mm/ft, but it would be nice to know before I commit to some etching.

Thanks

Jon

image.png.29e6c6bc01dcee3c24aaff83c140f010.png

Just found this thread. I am kind of having a go at the "anti-knock" wagon in N gauge; also Octel and on the same page on Paul's site:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/associatedocteltankwagon

I was basing it on a Fleishmann wagon, that looked like a good match on Ebay, but the dimensions turned out to be wrong, so it did not get that far as yet.

The logo looks a bit different on the Anti-Knock wagons - looks blue to me for a start - but it is useful to see the writing round the outside. I had no idea what that was, and was relying on it being unreadable.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, F2Andy said:

Just found this thread. I am kind of having a go at the "anti-knock" wagon in N gauge; also Octel and on the same page on Paul's site:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/associatedocteltankwagon

I was basing it on a Fleishmann wagon, that looked like a good match on Ebay, but the dimensions turned out to be wrong, so it did not get that far as yet.

The logo looks a bit different on the Anti-Knock wagons - looks blue to me for a start - but it is useful to see the writing round the outside. I had no idea what that was, and was relying on it being unreadable.

Hi

Would the NGS kit 37 be a suitable starting point for your wagon?

https://www.ngsjoin.com/kit-37-tta-chemical-tanker-ngsk0370-783-p.asp

Cheers

Paul

17 hours ago, PaulCheffus said:

Would the NGS kit 37 be a suitable starting point for your wagon?

https://www.ngsjoin.com/kit-37-tta-chemical-tanker-ngsk0370-783-p.asp

I think the tank is smaller than that, both diameter and length, but you have inspired me to take a look, so we will see. I will use it for something else if it is not right for this.

3 hours ago, aasmall said:

Nice modelling of an unusual subject Jon. I'd be keen to see more of the CO2 tank lurking in the background if you would be so kind as to share details of how you have done that one?

BR,

Andy

The CO2 tank is pretty straightforward, Appleby whitemetal ends, 35mm plastic pipe, and everything else is Evergreen styrene. 

I think I've made a couple of boo-boos the floors where the suspension units mount are a bit low, so I've had to leave out the rocking pivot, and I think I've left the wheelbase a bit short.

IMG_20210824_211030.jpg.0660fe982a1be4f013b39976e0370d0f.jpg

IMG_20210824_211042.jpg.f3720ad3b69d59506c9285046245f402.jpg

and by way of a comparison into tanker diameters CO2, Airfix converted to Fisons acid, and ethylene dibromide

IMG_20210824_210951.jpg.81530921aa7e6f484419b45f28f66c69.jpg

• Like 1