Does anyone produce modern station platform lamps in 2mm / N gauge?

fezza

• RMweb Gold

There aren't that many options for modern station lamps in N unfortunately. There are the Ratio ones, but they have a different head and are on the basic side. There are a few lighted options but they tend to be a bit overscale: https://www.modelrailwayscenes.com/collections/street-lighting/products/n-scale-3v-modern-single-head-street-light-5-pack

Tom. 

3 hours ago, fezza said:

Like this one? 

IMG_20210808_140306526_HDR.jpg

That’s an Urbis ZX1 / Schreder MC1. 

For rail use they almost universally have a flat glass ‘bowl’ and are mounted with the lower face parallel to the ground i.e. 0 degrees inclined.

Historically the ZX1 could only be mounted on the top of a pole with 5 degrees inclination and that meant the light was possibly visible to the driver (not good) so a stub bracket had to be used with the spigot entering the back of the body casting of the luminaire to get 0 degrees. Around 15 years ago the base castings were revised to post top installation possible at different inclinations including 0 degrees, which is how I believe it must be in the picture. These were called ZXU1. 

Note the lamp post has a hinge near the bottom. These allow the pole to be lowered and the whole maintained at ground level. It’s a while since I worked for Urbis and I’ve forgotten who the major supplier of such posts is. 

With that information maybe some enterprising soul will be able to model and print something suitable. There are drawings and plenty of pictures on line as they been around for 25 years. 

Edited by richbrummitt
Added ZXU1 detail.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 08/08/2021 at 20:12, Ian Morgan said:

@richbrummitt,

so you are one of the lamp post spotters Mark Steel was talking about in his "Mark Steel's In Town" radio show about Basingstoke :rolleyes:

Listen to it here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b018csyv

At least when he's spotting lamp posts, he's not bothering those poor pylons... ;)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Yorkshire Square said:

At least when he's spotting lamp posts, he's not bothering those poor pylons... ;)

Oh dear, hoist by my own petard (which apparently is a small bomb - didn't know that till I just looked it up).

pole_planted2

• Like 1
  • Funny 1