Stripping paint from a plastic model

I know this subject has been covered numerous times but, despite a lot of searching, I cannot find an answer to two questions. I need to remove all the paint from a poorly finished Ratio kit built coach and am considering using either Revell Paint Remover, De Luxe Strip Magic or Carsons Paint Killer. The model is painted with (several) coats) of Revell enamel, plus a coat of Humbrol varnish, It is also glazed with standard clear plastic sheeting. I would welcome advise regarding any of the forementioned products and whether any if them is likey to damage the glazing, or make it cloudy.  I am aware of other materials that can be used, but have not had very good experience in the past with Detol, Isopropyl Alcohol, or brake fluid.

Edited by Guest

Spray on foam oven cleaner works pretty well  and I've just used it to strip the paint from two S/H O gauge Parkside wagons. You have to ensure that the painted surface is in the pool of liquid after the foam has collapsed and leave it overnight but it does work, even though you might need to give it two or three goes. 

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

I don't think that addresses the question of whether the glazing would be safe?  Masking the glazing might work, but I can't speak from experience of that.

I would try to  get hold of a sample of the material used for glazing (I think Ratio glazing is acetate?) and try to test any chemical on the sample first - and leave it for a few weeks to see if it goes cloudy.  I would also be wary of some chemicals on the body of the vehicle and would try to test somewhere unseen (underside of the floor).  My concern would be to ensure it didn't dissolve the plastic.  Some plastics are more susceptible to solvents than others  - though I think Ratio & Parskside are probably similar plastics.

I have had trouble with cellulose paints crazing on models.

I have successfully used "Strip Magic" (from Eileen's Emporium). Now this is supposed to be a paint stripper for plastic models, but I specifically wanted to remove paint from glazing on model buses (think EFE & OOC here); I had previously brush painted these without removing the windows and got some paint on the glazing. No ill effects at all on the models. (And it also stripped paint from a Bachmann coach that had been badly over painted).

Stewart

• Informative/Useful 1

I always use caustic soda* for stripping paint from plastic. It has two Grifone friendly properties - cheap** and easily obtained!

*Follow the instructions rigorously. It is really nasty corrosive stuff.

**It's sold as oven cleaner and drain unblocker (hero (for five minutes anyway) when SWMBO blocks the kitchen sink!), so can come out of the household budget.  :secret:

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

don't think that addresses the question of whether the glazing would be safe?

I would treat the glazing as expendable as it'll only cause problems when the stripped coach is repainted so one may as well as plan to put in new glazing after stripping and repainting.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions, several of which give ideas about alternative solutions (no pun intended). I had already dismissed any method which involves total immersion as I wish to strip paint from the coach body only, leaving the chassis intact, if possible. Consequently, I have decided to go for the more expensive idea of using a propriety product, which can be painted onto the coach body only. To date, DeLuxe Strip Magic looks the most promising, as it is a gel rather than a thin liquid, and I should be capable of limiting it's spread to the areas I wish to strip without any overspill onto the chassis. None of the local Model shops stock Strip Magic, but as I am already in the process of preparing an order for materials from Eileen's Emporium, it can be added to the order. Once again thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

After looking for a supplier locally without any success, I eventually bought some Deluxe Strip Magic from Eileen's Emporium, along with a number of other items to avoid postage charges. Today I did a test on an old Ratio coach floor whch had been used for paint colour matching. It worked exactly as it says on the bottle, and has not affected the plastic, now I have to face up to stripping the painted coach body.

Edited by Guest

I recomend this method. Very cheap and very effective , you can get all you need from B&Q or similar outlets. It is so cheap, I dont bother saving the solution, it also  cleans the drains as well very nicely ! Does'nt touch plastic ,but disolves superglue as well as paint.

• Informative/Useful 1