Can anyone suggest an HO kit to represent a Belgian branch-line station Epoch 1 - 2 ??

BillB

Been scouring ebay and manufs' / retailers' websites for a likely looking kit without seeing the perfect fit. It needs to be a small staion building for a branch terminus to F/Y type "layout on a plank". Lots of small station kits that look too "German" (too much timber frame with brick in-fill), and a couple of French looking ones (smooth plastered walls) that seem too big. I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Somewhat hampered by a lack of prototype photos - a google streetview search of Belgium has not revealed any small branch-line terminii. Low-relief / plaster kits acceptable.

Grateful for any suggestions,

thanks,

Bill.

I can't help with kits, but plenty of old photos on this site: https://www.garesbelges.be/

If you don't have any locations in mind, take a look at a map or atlas covering lines in Belgium (even the MG Ball European Railway Atlas series from Ian Allan should identify), find branch termini and see what turns up as interesting/worthy of further investigation.

I used a modified 'your Model Railway' station building kit, obtained off ebay,  to make a half relief small Belgian Station building, in the style of the one at at Raccour .

veldstabldg2.JPG.241a15e8825ada525afac29bade0308f.JPG

it's still a work in progress, needing final details, nameboards etc.

The kit always looked almost, but not quite British to my eyes, I think know why now !

You may find the Flickr site of a Chap called Peter Van Gestel useful, especially the section on Station Buildings. 

You might also find the 'Railway Granary' site useful, There's an awful lot of stuff on there, with a lot of track layout drawings in the 'plans' section

HTH

KG 

Edited by andania 213
Spulling-aaagh!!
  • Like 2

Wow, thanks, lots of useful info and links there! I see from the link to garesbelge.be several stations that look like the Jouef Gare de Villeneuve / MKD Gare de Villiers kit, which is about the smallest of the Jouef / MKD plaster rendered station building kits, and many of the grander Jouef / MKD buildings (e.g. Lusigny) would not look out of character, though too big for my purpose.

Meanwhile, I spotted the MKD kit of la Gare de Fay-aux-Loges, and also an old postcard of that building on ebay which shows the kit is close to the original. I found the Fay-aux-Loges station building still standing on streetview. Also neighbouring Vitry-aux-Loges still standing, almost identical except one bay shorter (two instead of three sets of double-doors), and another disused station west of Fay-aux-Loges which has the 2-storey station house aligned along the platform rather than end-on as in the kit, all of which shows there is scope to bash the Fay-aux-Loges kit into a smaller station / different looking station that is also accurate. Vitry has a population of 2,216, and Fay-aux-Loges 3,691, so either would suit the size of community / passenger volumes I have in mind for my “end of the line”. BTW all three preceding mentiond staions have been turned into houses and are in good condition.

As an aside, streetview is a great boon for a modeller to examine buildings / understand atmosphere, and it is a great pity it is disabled for Germany. It is also great to walk virtually the streets your ancestors walked in real life!!

Fay aux Loges - postcard.jpg

10 - FAY aux LOGES (Loiret) - La Gare et les Quais - L'arrivée d'un train.jpg

La Gare, Vitry-aux-Loges.jpg

2054144070_LaGareVitry-aux-Loges.png

MKD kit Fay-aux-Loges.jpg

• Like 2

I should have said in my last post that pics 3 and 4 are the platform side and road side of Vitry-aux-Loges, the 2-bay version of the station building.

Below are 2 pics of Fay-aux-Loges now, the closest one can get on streetview!

810246229_Fay-aux-Logesstationnow-1.png

1184559993_Fay-aux-Logesstationnow-2.png

• Like 1

And here are 3 pics of Donnery, the next station west of Fay-aux-Loges, which has the 2-storey station building turned lengthwise to the tracks, giving a 3rd possible arrangement for the MKD kit. Donnery is the station I mentioned but forgot to name in my last post. Again a population of 2,861, so a small town, and the station is some walk from the town. I'm posting all this so that having done the work it is not lost to posterity!

418403553_Donnerystationfromnorth.png

2099809247_Donnerystationfromeast.png

2124807908_Donnerystationfromsouth.png

Finally for now, here is another in the family, gare de Château-Renard, also now a private house. It is pleasing to see so many of these old station buildings preserved, and it is interesting to see that on several the tracks have been left in place in front of the houses.

I hope these pics inspire someone!!

Best Regards,

Bill.

Ancienne gare de Château-Renard, maintenant une maison privée 2012.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/08/2021 at 22:00, Neils WRX said:

Another option might be Kibri as they have produced a number of Belgian models over the years.

Here’s one I built a few years back.

Trains from History "Mons Arsenal P Train" - Van Biervliet SNCB 9101

Not sure of the catalogue number though.

Thanks,

Neil

Just found the box it’s Kibri 39379 “Bahnhof Remicourt”.

Hope that’s of use.

Neil