Bute Road, ?

Andrew P

4 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Build it so that the insides of the arches join up but the outsides (which won't be seen) have gaps. Real viaducts weren't curved as such, the piers were usually different widths on each side but the arches were not.

That's what I thought of, but the top wall is to stiff to take the curve, so would remain strait, I did try it on some Wills walling a few years ago. It would be easy to fill between the pillars at the back, and that would be seen as the Viaduct would be viewed from both sides for photography from outside the door as well as inside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Wow that's all I can say to that. I know you do things quickly but that must have taken a quite a bit of time to do. 

You should be able to knock yours up no problem. What are the dimensions?

If your talking of the Club one, it took two evenings to build and two to cover in Plasticard, and was originally single Track. Then one night someone said it would be better if we could Double Track that Line, so myself, and another member took the back off. added some more Track Bed, put the back back on and had it running again by the end of the evening. The following week we re built under the arches and the Pillars.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Wow that's all I can say to that. I know you do things quickly but that must have taken a quite a bit of time to do. 

You should be able to knock yours up no problem. What are the dimensions?

The Club one is about 9ft.

I need about 2.5 ft if I can.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andrew P said:

The Club one is about 9ft.

I need about 2.5 ft if I can.

Good heavens only four days to build the club one that's unbelievable. Well I know I've said before Andy but you really are an absolute wizard.

If you were nearer I'd other to come and help but having said that I don't think there's anything I could do that would be of assistance.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, andyram said:

That club viaduct is a masterpiece. I remember sat watching many trains cross over it during open days. It was my daughter’s favourite spot too.

Hi Andy, Yes the row of chairs in front were normally fully occupied at Open Weekends.

• Like 1

Is building the viaduct using a Scalescenes downloaded "kit" a possible solution? Being card based, it should take a curve quite easily. Or do you worry about a lack of relief with a printed texture?

One thing would be that if built out of mountboard, cardboard and paper it would work out lighter than, say, plywood and plasticard (being a removable section)

Taking away the 18mm MDF idea for SR concrete edged platforms - mind you, the cost for one of those 8'x4' sheets has more than doubled since the last time I bought one!

Steve S

• Like 1

On 14/08/2021 at 17:34, Andrew P said:

So instead of Track Planning today, I have re arranged the Amp and put the Guitars back were they were a week ago. The only difference now is that they go under the Layout due to its extra height.

IMG_5330.JPG.ee9a7c16e180847839e347a6432cca30.JPG

Hi @Andrew P - only just caught up with this thread, and looked back to spot this pic.

Nice bass collection there mate. I particularly like the Jazz with the block & bound neck :) 
Just bagged myself a Trace Elliot 1x10 bass cab - ultra compact & lightweight (a 300W cab that weighs only 7.5kg - wow)

I could talk basses, amps, guitars and trains all day! - But perhaps much of that is for another forum? lol

The layout is looking good sir - your workshop is very neat & tidy compared to mine.
Don't get any sawdust on those instruments now.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, marc smith said:

Hi @Andrew P - only just caught up with this thread, and looked back to spot this pic.

Nice bass collection there mate. I particularly like the Jazz with the block & bound neck :) 
Just bagged myself  Trace Elliot 1x10 bass cab - ultra compact & lightweight (a 300W cab that weighs only 7.5kg - wow)

I could talk basses, amps, guitars and trains all day! - But perhaps much of that is for another forum? lol

The layout is looking good sir - your workshop is very neat & tidy compared to mine.

Thanks Marc, My first Bass Amp was a 1 x 10 Trace Elliot, and it was superb. The Jazz with the Block inlays is a Benson, it has an Alder Body and I believe they are Seymore Duncan Pick Ups, and is superb and the best bit is, it was only £125 inc free delivery, Gig bag, Strap and lead, but plays as good as anything I've ever played, it has a sweet neck, stays in tune, lovely action and a gorgeous Bourbon Sunburst.

I too could talk  Guitars for days, so next time we meet at a show, we must sit and have a chat over a coffee, (saw you last at Stafford RM Web meet when you had Rain, Wind and Steels I think it was called).

I do the cutting outside to keep my babies clean and safe.:D

1766841205_BensonJazzBassinBurbonSunburst(1).JPG.051909b5c586648a92c857b380d9cd74.JPG

974676952_BensonJazzBassinBurbonSunburst(2).JPG.e2e94735d77e4df1476fd32ee1d115c4.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

That is also worth a look Ray, I shall start the mock up later and see what comes of that.

Some photos please Andy as I have a u-shaped layout and I'm umming & aaring about whether to close the 'gap'. So will be watching this very closely to see if it's something I could do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marc smith said:

Just bagged myself a Trace Elliot 1x10 bass cab - ultra compact & lightweight (a 300W cab that weighs only 7.5kg - wow)

Thought the bass comments would come eventually - well done Marc.

Nice collection - well done Andy.

Just the one Bass and only one pair of hands -  although shouldn't have parted with a decent WAL Pro One back in 1985 going through the "Mullet" phase.

Forget the backline though -  unless your doing stadium rock - Tried most setups -  H+H  - JHS (lol) -  Custom Sound  - Peavey 2 x15" Cabs (immense) -  Ampeg -  Trace Elliot -  McGregor -  Fender Bassman  - Marshall 100w with 2 4X12 (Main gigging amp in my NWOBHM days) 

If you get chance cobble together some reasonable M-AUDIO 8" Studio Monitors through a SANSAMP DI in line with a KORG Ampworks MultiFX  modelling processor. Arguably quite a decent sound (if not the best) achieved in 40 years of trying  but a 1973 Precision with new zingy Rotosounds does help somewhat.

Thanks - and yes Andy -  Cornwall is a good as ever subject for the project  - tempted for a nice branch out to the coast at Pentewan?

Following.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Some photos please Andy as I have a u-shaped layout and I'm umming & aaring about whether to close the 'gap'. So will be watching this very closely to see if it's something I could do.

I'll do some pic by pics and also on a Video as well.:good:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

Thought the bass comments would come eventually - well done Marc.

Nice collection - well done Andy.

Just the one Bass and only one pair of hands -  although shouldn't have parted with a decent WAL Pro One back in 1985 going through the "Mullet" phase.

Forget the backline though -  unless your doing stadium rock - Tried most setups -  H+H  - JHS (lol) -  Custom Sound  - Peavey 2 x15" Cabs (immense) -  Ampeg -  Trace Elliot -  McGregor -  Fender Bassman  - Marshall 100w with 2 4X12 (Main gigging amp in my NWOBHM days) 

If you get chance cobble together some reasonable M-AUDIO 8" Studio Monitors through a SANSAMP DI in line with a KORG Ampworks MultiFX  modelling processor. Arguably quite a decent sound (if not the best) achieved in 40 years of trying  but a 1973 Precision with new zingy Rotosounds does help somewhat.

Thanks - and yes Andy -  Cornwall is a good as ever subject for the project  - tempted for a nice branch out to the coast at Pentewan?

Following.

Being 60's 70's Rock, we tend to play raw through the  Backline and PA and monitors for a clean driving thud.

Do a BLT.:good:

• Like 3

Coming along well Mr Peters.

After watching #3 video I had to flip back to listen to the background music which I hadn't noticed, if it is still playing that is.

Some times I do watch your videos in 5 min bursts unless I've got my cup of tea 'andy.   For me MORE  short 5 min Videos on specific topics would work well.

Best

EDIT  At 5.20 in on Video #2 is Staying alive. found it.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Coming along well Mr Peters.

After watching #3 video I had to flip back to listen to the background music which I hadn't noticed, if it is still playing that is.

Some times I do watch your videos in 5 min bursts unless I've got my cup of tea 'andy.   For me MORE  short 5 min Videos on specific topics would work well.

Best

EDIT  At 5.20 in on Video #2 is Staying alive. found it.

Cheers for your input Barnaby, I also do a lot of 5 minute bursts, on some Art Videos and keep going back to watch certain bits.

• Like 1

• Andrew P changed the title to BUTE ROAD,

A day off from here tomorrow as I have to deliver some O Gauge bits to Swindon, for onward shipping to North Wales, and then across to Thatcham in Berkshire to do what will be the final delivery of the O Gauge items from The POD.

• Like 1