Bute Road, ?

Andrew P

32 minutes ago, DonB said:

Hi Andy,  from a cold and windy S. Derbyshire I'm sure you remember it well!

Your problem with Adverts , I have intalled Adbloc

Cheers Don, What are you doing up in S / Derbyshire?

I have tried various Add Blockers in the past, but my Flip Flop is old and slow, and all previous Add Blockers have rendered the thing almost useless. At the moment I can switch on, and then make a coffee whilst it comes on, with previous Add Blockers, I could have gone on a weeks holiday, :o (well maybe that was a BIT of an exaggeration). :laugh:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Cheers Don, What are you doing up in S / Derbyshire?

I have tried various Add Blockers in the past, but my Flip Flop is old and slow, and all previous Add Blockers have rendered the thing almost useless. At the moment I can switch on, and then make a coffee whilst it comes on, with previous Add Blockers, I could have gone on a weeks holiday, :o (well maybe that was a BIT of an exaggeration). :laugh:

I use Adbloc have done for four years ,very effective and good price give it a try.

• Thanks 1

Just wached video number 35 Andy - very useful and informative.

Just remember:

you can never have too many guitars

you can never have too many books

you can never have too many trains

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, pwr said:

Just remember:

Paul R

Cheers Paul, I agree about the first and last, and although I like Autobiography's, I read very little in the way of Train Books. :D 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Cheers Paul, I agree about the first and last, and although I like Autobiography's, I read very little in the way of Train Books. :D 

Re the PM you sent me Paul, much appreciated and I've just had a look, its only a plain Blue 4TC and Class 07, the NSE is still £269.95 which I feel is over the top for what is basically 4 x Mk 1 Coaches with end windows.

I really would like a NSE one, but with Christmas, and the cost, I'll give it a miss at the moment, but really appreciate the heads up on the Bargain Bundle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, pwr said:

Just remember:

Paul R

You definitely, and unfortunately, can have too many books which is why I am gradually gracing the pages of RMweb classified ads as part of my shake out/shelf tidying whilst some are going to a local secondhand book dealer and others will make their way to auction (via a friend in that trade) in the New Year.    Almost entirely official stuff listed so far with more of that to come plus plenty of publishers' efforts to appear shortly.  

Also seems to be a good way to earn brownie points from the management ) 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

You definitely, and unfortunately, can have too many books which is why I am gradually gracing the pages of RMweb classified ads as part of my shake out/shelf tidying whilst some are going to a local secondhand book dealer and others will make their way to auction (via a friend in that trade) in the New Year.    Almost entirely official stuff listed so far with more of that to come plus plenty of publishers' efforts to appear shortly.  

For exactly that reason, I will probably be making some space on our bookshelves over the Christmas break but, fear not, my railway books will not be among those culled.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Agree with the last sentiment - I am often in trouble with management over my book collection yet I stll manage to persuade her to buy me more at Christmas. I've got a very recent and nice Southdown bus book coming as well as something on the East Kent.

I have had to severely cull my magazine collection and severely cut back what I was buying but the brownie points havent been forthcoming there!!!!!

Paul R

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The first thing I did when we moved in was to build bookshelves in our bedroom for (some of) Mrs Stationmaster's books, the next job was to build the shelves in what I jokingly call the library which in reality is effectively a corridor but has shelves along one side.  we have two bookcases in the dining room, two plus a lower height one in the study, one in the kitchen, two in our son's room, two plus a large pile of books in our daughter's room, plus the stuff stored in various boxes.  Plus the shelves around most of the attic which mainly hold magazines and public timetables from the early 1960s onwards plus a few books and thing like the Class 59 fault guide.

As I had a tendency to buy what auctioneers call 'box lots' I have duplication (or triplication) of some official  items plus a lot of official stuff which is later than either the period which interests me or is for parts of the country which don't interest me.  And it all takes up space hence the need to trim down.  I also have to make shelf space for newer books from the likes of Wild Swan and Lightmoor Press.  

Meanwhile the management is now asking me what books I would like for Christmas in view of the fact that I am getting rid of some:D

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The first thing I did when we moved in was to build bookshelves in our bedroom for (some of) Mrs Stationmaster's books, the next job was to build the shelves in what I jokingly call the library which in reality is effectively a corridor but has shelves along one side.  we have two bookcases in the dining room, two plus a lower height one in the study, one in the kitchen, two in our son's room, two plus a large pile of books in our daughter's room, plus the stuff stored in various boxes.  Plus the shelves around most of the attic which mainly hold magazines and public timetables from the early 1960s onwards plus a few books and thing like the Class 59 fault guide.

As I had a tendency to buy what auctioneers call 'box lots' I have duplication (or triplication) of some official  items plus a lot of official stuff which is later than either the period which interests me or is for parts of the country which don't interest me.  And it all takes up space hence the need to trim down.  I also have to make shelf space for newer books from the likes of Wild Swan and Lightmoor Press.  

Meanwhile the management is now asking me what books I would like for Christmas in view of the fact that I am getting rid of some:D

When I visited the late Peter Midwinter in Wales whilst  on Holiday a few years ago, he was still running the, Railway Study Centre, and took me into his Barn where he had literally thousands of Books, Maps and information. Unfortunately a lot had got damp, and and some chewed by mice etc which was a great shame, but he said he was starting to catalogue it all and I don't know if he ever completed the task before his untimely death. The books were stored in the upper half of the Barn and the floor was creaking and bowing under the weight.

Mike, Are yours catalogued, so you know where to look for specific items?

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

WORK ON THE LAYOUT?:o NO surely not.:fie:

Well yes, :good: but not a lot, :swoon:.

I wanted to put some fencing and a hedgerow along the top of the embankment but having neither the hedging or fencing, I decided just to add more bushes for now.

I have also almost run out of PVA, yes, I know there is a National shortage, but I can assure the kind viewers that its not ALL down to me and my somewhat excessive usage at times. 

Excuse the WET PVA.

IMG_6715.JPG.91bca89d8042970896f716162adfd82e.JPG

IMG_6716.JPG.718ba2a46a920ea583d0f26940fb11b2.JPG

IMG_6717.JPG.6b607b43310e9649b8042d9114f697d4.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

When I visited the late Peter Midwinter in Wales whilst  on Holiday a few years ago, he was still running the, Railway Study Centre, and took me into his Barn where he had literally thousands of Books, Maps and information. Unfortunately a lot had got damp, and and some chewed by mice etc which was a great shame, but he said he was starting to catalogue it all and I don't know if he ever completed the task before his untimely death. The books were stored in the upper half of the Barn and the floor was creaking and bowing under the weight.

Mike, Are yours catalogued, so you know where to look for specific items?

All the ones I use regularly for reference are in places I know on shelves but it has become rather obvious that some I had forgotten about/rarely consult need some sort of referencing/list to keep reminding me of where they are although i doubt I'll ever need to research much about GWR fog signalling Instructions from the late 1920s to the 1940s.  I know where most of the Working/Service timetables are hidden away and where all the public books are and all the pre 1960 GWR. SR, and LMS. Appendixes to the WTT are stashed (and some are regularly consulted for reference purposes) plus I know where all my Rule Books are as most are close at hand in the study).

But as for things like 1940s editions of Ian Allan ABCs they have just been dug out to go on the sale list in the near future.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

WORK ON THE LAYOUT?:o NO surely not.:fie:

Well yes, :good: but not a lot, :swoon:.

I wanted to put some fencing and a hedgerow along the top of the embankment but having neither the hedging or fencing, I decided just to add more bushes for now.

I have also almost run out of PVA, yes, I know there is a National shortage, but I can assure the kind viewers that its not ALL down to me and my somewhat excessive usage at times. 

Excuse the WET PVA.

IMG_6715.JPG.91bca89d8042970896f716162adfd82e.JPG

IMG_6716.JPG.718ba2a46a920ea583d0f26940fb11b2.JPG

IMG_6717.JPG.6b607b43310e9649b8042d9114f697d4.JPG

Coming along treat Andy my good frend

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The first thing I did when we moved in was to build bookshelves 

Quite the opposite - the easiest way to cull books is to move to a smaller place ... so a shelf about 8' long with professional journals relating to a long retired career went in one go and many others with SWMBO help(?) went to a well known charity for onward sale.  Magazines articles i.e. model railway that I had already taken out parts that were of interest was further investigated.  At one time 14 bags of 'paper' were recycled.  Probably still have too much but as of now the main shelving supports are missing so until they come to the surface most books are still in boxes ... time will tell.  Referring back to Mike I seem to recollect that he once published a photograph or two in ER of a number of his very full bookshelves.  (Apologies for non-Bute Road addition).

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I’ve been known to buy books only to realise I’d already got it. The peskie blighters move around of their own accord and hide on the shelves

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Dragonboy said:

I’ve been known to buy books only to realise I’d already got it. The peskie blighters move around of their own accord and hide on the shelves

I've done that, but only (so far at least) with cheap novels from charity shops - so the second copy just gets re-donated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dragonboy said:

I blame them pesky publishers.

At the moment, with the bosses assistance, we are putting together an Inventory of my

railway books collection.Only a couple of duplicates have come to light, so far. But I am

sure there are more.

Often these have arisen because reprints have occurred with different covers, and even

publishers.   Leading to a dilemma, especially when standing at a heritage railway bookstall,

which is usually resolved by a purchase for Justin.

(Justin Case i haven't already got it, and anyway it'll help the railway).

We are up to 200+ and about to move into the train room shelves.....

TONY

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

And so, back to Bute Road, and the question is, will there be a Video ready in time for Friday?:fie::cry:

Is it a ‘fly on the wall’ documentary?  If so, then “On no, somethings gone wrong . . . It’s not going to be ready . . . Oh we have another plan . . . But will it be good enough . . . (5 mins to end of programme) Oh look it’s all going to be fine, good job all round, wasn’t that exciting.”

Or am I too old and cynical?!

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2