Bute Road, ?

Andrew P

3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Andy,

I've been lurking since this thread started and I'm a bit worried about two things:

1. Will the trackplan fit in the space? I think it probably will but it would be great to draw it to scale using turnout templates to find out. To make the best of the space I suspect you may have to go down to R3 and R4 curves in the off-scene areas. What's your intended off-scene minimum radius?

2. The bridge section across the doorway: Lots of fragile and heavy scenery to move and might be difficult to make it look realistic with the joints and the separation from whatever backdrop you arrange?

It has been laid out with Real Points and Peco Templates, It all fits nicely and will be bigger than 3rd Radius, as I can get 36 inch in most of it on the Scenic side.

I will do the door exactly as I did on Kings Moreton, and never had one derailment.

Basically a lift out section, and the end board having 5mm free movement to give wiggle room and ease insertion and removal. And I could lift that with a couple of fingers.

IMG_5118.JPG.3ae44471e3334ee16927248a09deb3cd.JPG

IMG_5129.JPG.1d5309eb6e47fb0b9d536f4f2843d512.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

It has been laid out with Real Points and Peco Templates, It all fits nicely and will be bigger than 3rd Radius, as I can get 36 inch in most of it on the Scenic side.

I will do the door exactly as I did on Kings Moreton, and never had one derailment.

Basically a lift out section, and the end board having 5mm free movement to give wiggle room and ease insertion and removal. And I could lift that with a couple of finger.

IMG_5118.JPG.3ae44471e3334ee16927248a09deb3cd.JPG

IMG_5129.JPG.1d5309eb6e47fb0b9d536f4f2843d512.JPG

Great stuff!

I shouldn't have worried.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m telling you, he’ll have it finished for the weekend :lol:

Great work Andy and as always I’m impressed with the speed of the build not affecting the high quality 

I hope to have that Bench Section done tomorrow, then I can sort out the Door section.

Not sure about the quality Chris, if you saw some of the joints, you would have kittens. good job I have corner blocks to tie it all together.:scratchhead:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

A steady day today.

Edited

Really enjoying all the new found energy and enthusiasm. 

Now you be careful at your age there young Andrew.

I wish I had some enthusiasm, not that I am bored with my train set just got no go and up.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I wish I had some enthusiasm, not that I am bored with my train set just got no go and up.

I find the best Up and Go medication is E-Bay, I have a set of 3 x OCA's whisking their way to me as we speak / post.:dancer:

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

:o

7 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

……not that I am bored with my train set just got no go and up.

Most of the time my ‘get up and go’ gets up and b*ggers off 

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

22 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The Chapel Siding is level but I have to disagree regarding the branch. It definitely falls from Par to St Blazey. At its steepest the gradient is 1 in 56 according to Network Rail's track gradients database, although not for very far.

As I said , it is to all intent flat.

There is a very slight up grade from Par station to the foot-crossing, and then a very slight down grade towards St Bz.

The 1:56 is the absolute ruling gradient over that section of line.

Trust me here, I have walked along  it enough times to know it is as close to flat as matters not.

Much more on topic, I am itching to see how Bute Road (alight here for the Eden Project) develops.

Some years ago, there actually was a proper bus connection from Roche station through to Eden, though I dont know how long that ever lasted.....

• Informative/Useful 3

the base boards are looking the bizz Andy, very nice, (watching with interest as usual)...

PS, l have made some shelves for the locos to sit on, nearly past out when the guy told me how much they were ??? wood has shot up in price..

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, georgeT said:

the base boards are looking the bizz Andy, very nice, (watching with interest as usual)...

PS, l have made some shelves for the locos to sit on, nearly past out when the guy told me how much they were ??? wood has shot up in price..

Yes I know mate, My Timber was almost two hundred sods, luckily Ricky gets a Trade Discount, but that's only 5% now.

Where are you posting pics of the Shelves, Moss Lane or your Workbench?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

32 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Yes I know mate, My Timber was almost two hundred sods, luckily Ricky gets a Trade Discount, but that's only 5% now.

Where are you posting pics of the Shelves, Moss Lane or your Workbench?

l have fitted the metal work at last to the wall, and will get the shelves  4'x6"x12mm plywood hopefully today, l needed four supports for the weight of O gauge, (as you remember)...

DSC07518.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 minutes ago, georgeT said:

l have fitted the metal work at last to the wall, and will get the shelves  4'x6"x12mm plywood hopefully today, l needed four supports for the weight of O gauge, (as you remember)...

DSC07518.JPG

I see the sign at the  top is in the right place to remind you not to catch your shoulder on the shelves as you walk in the room.:rolleyes:

• Funny 3

Just a quick update.

I have been doing the Video, but it wont save it with any sound, so unless you can lip read its no good to man nor beast.

I am trying again, but as I'm out at Band Rehearsals shortly it may have to wait until Saturday. I think it may be to do with the fact that the Radio was on in the background, and so I might have infringed some copyright or something.

• Like 1

GOT THE VIDEO TO WORK, so I'll upload that in the morning for tomorrows instalment.

A little more done today.

Electrical board joiner and over centre latches, plus lots of bits like fitting the backscene to the wall and putting spacer blocks along the back.

I really am enjoying this build.

IMG_5315.JPG.77eee054ad14661b23e326f0716d3b3a.JPG

IMG_5316.JPG.2d27e482d6396d46639166f1e3c1f399.JPG

IMG_5318.JPG.a5397fbf72cb8ecd2ebfb375c0c5d2f9.JPG

IMG_5320.JPG.67678adfdcb8554d23b4c09bdb1a3ea1.JPG

IMG_5321.JPG.89d9dbfe2cbda399da493e806907b381.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold
On 12/08/2021 at 16:20, Andrew P said:

Also had a delivery from Ellis Clark, via our friendly Postie.

If you intend to apply some subtle weathering to your newly acquired 66040, here's an image of the full scale 66040 for reference. Seen here waiting at Sowerby Bridge to exit a possession on 22nd November 2015 with 6T53, Milner Royd Junction to Doncaster Up Decoy.

391733648_660406T53SowerbyBridge22112015-RMweb.jpg.bf140b3fa431a1ecfc2c81ef44206a53.jpg

PM me if you need a full size image. 

Edited by 4630
re-upload photo
  • Like 7

54 minutes ago, 4630 said:

If you intend to apply some subtle weathering to your newly acquired 66040, here's an image of the full scale 66040 for reference. Seen here waiting at Sowerby Bridge to exit a possession on 22nd November 2015 with 6T53, Milner Royd Junction to Doncaster Up Decoy.

1731886011_660406T53SowerbyBridge22112015-RMweb.jpg.b85435c6ea24aace93a3609d15cd9cd6.jpg

PM me if you need a full size image. 

Cheers Russ, I have several hundred pics and Videos to study thanks, and when I was doing weathering for other people I had a vast selection of pics to call on of various Classes and Liveries.

The Wagon interests me as well, as I have a Rake of IOA's to do, so took lots of pics at Eastleight over the last few Months.

New pics of 60, 66, 37 and 70 etc will always be welcome on here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shedman said:

Excellent progress Andy. Looking forward to the video. All the Best, Trevor

Thanks Trevor, I hope these Videos are worth while, because they are time consuming, although I had a lot of very favourable comments on You Tube from the first one which was nice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LBRJ said:

One item you could really use to "nail the location" if not quite the period is a Western Greyhound liveried bus!

Ideal for taking the onward journey to Eden as well ;)

No Bus's on Bute Road I'm afraid, to much of a cliché, haha. In fact apart from a few vehicles in the Yard and maybe the Village if there is one, I don't envisage many vehicles at all. 

• Like 2