Bute Road, ?

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Andy,

When these are pushed together, do you find that you need to do up any screws to make the electrical connection or are they ok just pushed together?

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Yes, Totally agree, you would have thought that in this day and age, a 5 Digit address would be possible.

Mind you, if they did I would need a new Controller and the Chips I have limited to 4 Digits so would need to replace all of those as well.

Far to expensive:nono:

I think that is the big issue, also, with four digit addressing there are 6,561 combinations (9^4), where as with five digit addressing there are (59,049) - in computer programming terms for the chips its a big change and difference. Plus manufacturers like Digitrax with its Loconet system allocation certain bits of information for message exchange, and that would likely have to change too.

The other fact of course is that most DCC systems are produced by American manufacturers and the American railroads all use four digits for their loco numbers....

Rich

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, David Bell said:

Coming along nicely Andy. Tweaking the points is a masterstroke.

Cheers

David

Thanks David, its something I have done in the past but a visit by Mike / @scoobyra reminded me of it and it has improved the appearance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

Andy,

When these are pushed together, do you find that you need to do up any screws to make the electrical connection or are they ok just pushed together?

I think that is the big issue, also, with four digit addressing there are 6,561 combinations (9^4), where as with five digit addressing there are (59,049) - in computer programming terms for the chips its a big change and difference. Plus manufacturers like Digitrax with its Loconet system allocation certain bits of information for message exchange, and that would likely have to change too.

The other fact of course is that most DCC systems are produced by American manufacturers and the American railroads all use four digits for their loco numbers....

Rich

Hi Rich, The screws are nothing to do with it, they are split pins so if to tight get some pliers and squeeze them in a bit or a screwdriver in the slot to spread them and make them tighter. I have never had to do either.

The screws are only for the wire.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

On 24/08/2021 at 14:40, Andrew P said:

I think I need to tidy my work bench

I started to do that ... 

Several weeks ago!

Admittedly, I have been distracted by trying to complete sorting out the music library for Bury Music Centre, which in turn has been delayed by repeatedly having to deal with leaks/damage through the roof (at last count we had four major areas of damage, three of which were new and when only I have been around to deal with them as everyone else is enjoying their 'long summer holiday') as well as meeting with various roofers* to quote for repairs (much sucking of air between teeth, comments about "It's going to cost a packet" (approx £100k - it's a large building!) and "I can't guarantee anything if it's not a full re-roof") and also fitting out the Percussion Store (one of the areas affected by flooding) and extending the Brass Instrument Store! I'm going to gloss over the seating unit I was supposed to have built ready for the start of the new academic year!

My only "modelling" at the moment is to read and marvel at how much everybody else** is getting done!

Mr P @Andrew P do you mind explaining (in proper instructing-an-idiot fashion) how you go about "tweaking" Peco points? I mean, obviously you have bent them, but if I tried that I would simply end up with something that used to be a Peco point (it is no more, it has gone to meet its maker, to join the Choir Eternal, it is - in fact - an ex-point!)

Steve S

* Incidentally, I'm not management or anything. In fact, I have the least working hours per week of any member of staff, but I happen to have keys for access to do the library and ... well ... everybody else is on holiday, including the bl00dy landlord!

** Especially Mr Peters!!

• Agree 1

Just been watching your videos (watched 1 through to 5).  Fantastic, Fantastic.  Love it.  Very informative and you touched on things that I haven’t even considered myself, but now thinking about adding to my layout.  Keep them Coming Please.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I started to do that ... 

Several weeks ago!

Admittedly, I have been distracted by trying to complete sorting out the music library for Bury Music Centre, which in turn has been delayed by repeatedly having to deal with leaks/damage through the roof (at last count we had four major areas of damage, three of which were new and when only I have been around to deal with them as everyone else is enjoying their 'long summer holiday') as well as meeting with various roofers* to quote for repairs (much sucking of air between teeth, comments about "It's going to cost a packet" (approx £100k - it's a large building!) and "I can't guarantee anything if it's not a full re-roof") and also fitting out the Percussion Store (one of the areas affected by flooding) and extending the Brass Instrument Store! I'm going to gloss over the seating unit I was supposed to have built ready for the start of the new academic year!

My only "modelling" at the moment is to read and marvel at how much everybody else** is getting done!

Mr P @Andrew P do you mind explaining (in proper instructing-an-idiot fashion) how you go about "tweaking" Peco points? I mean, obviously you have bent them, but if I tried that I would simply end up with something that used to be a Peco point (it is no more, it has gone to meet its maker, to join the Choir Eternal, it is - in fact - an ex-point!)

Steve S

* Incidentally, I'm not management or anything. In fact, I have the least working hours per week of any member of staff, but I happen to have keys for access to do the library and ... well ... everybody else is on holiday, including the bl00dy landlord!

** Especially Mr Peters!!

Just take a Razor Saw or snips and cut away the webbing from the V to the switch rails, then lay it flat and ease it gently, not to much or the switch rails wont switch properly.

IMG_5474.JPG.7d94fd3c23e07875260c1ee3872210b4.JPG

IMG_5473.JPG.f991f2abd015813156230205a1c00321.JPG

IMG_5475.JPG.e39e17db87e58f6957374fabdbd978bc.JPG

I hope that helps.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6

7 hours ago, Melangoose said:

Just been watching your videos (watched 1 through to 5).  Fantastic, Fantastic.  Love it.  Very informative and you touched on things that I haven’t even considered myself, but now thinking about adding to my layout.  Keep them Coming Please.

Thanks Nigel, I hope to have No 8 out tomorrow, as I'm close to finishing that one now. Although its aimed at all modellers from beginners through to pure enthusiasts I hope people will find some things of use. I've had some good feedback on the You Tube Channel, = Andy Peters Model Railways.

• Like 2

All coming along good and steady Andy.

I mentioned a some while ago about your method for covering up gaps at the board joins, something I'm interested in.  Have you shown the "cut" and join or is that still to be done?

I can see you have paper taped over and glued down but it doesn't look like you have cut through yet.

If I've missed it can you tell me which video it is in please.

Ta

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Barnaby said:

All coming along good and steady Andy.

I mentioned a some while ago about your method for covering up gaps at the board joins, something I'm interested in.  Have you shown the "cut" and join or is that still to be done?

I can see you have paper taped over and glued down but it doesn't look like you have cut through yet.

If I've missed it can you tell me which video it is in please.

Ta

Video No 5 for the laying and 6 to see it hard after a couple of hours Barnaby, I hope it will make sense once you see it.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Peco points are very easy to curve, especially the longer ones. I often wonder why people are so reluctant to try it. I can only suppose that they are reluctant to invalidate the warranty.

Regards Lez. 

Edited by lezz01
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Peco points are very easy to curve, especially the longer ones. I often wonder why people are so reluctant to try it. I can only suppose that they are reluctant to invalidate the warranty.

Regards Lez. 

I think you may well be right there Lez, or just frightened that they will go to far and not be able to recover it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Keith J said:

I love how you've modified the points Andy, it makes those curves flow beautifully.

Keith.

Thanks Keith, it certainly does help the flow and looks more realistic in my view. I did 3 or 4 like that on Seven Mills, and a few other OO Layouts in the past.

Cheers for your comments.:good:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree with you about the terminal blocks I have been using them for some time they come in different current ratings too.  Having curves through the turnout does look more natural that's why I gave up using the paper templates for home built turnouts. Nowadays it is easy to do them in templot but for speed just using bits of flexi track work out what you need. I would measure the crossing angle then look up the lead (distance from the crossing to the blade tips ) in a prototype table and measure that round the curve. Which is what a track ganger would do using a chain instead of a ruler.

Going well mate

Don

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2