Bute Road, ?

Andrew P

8 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I've done my layout with just two wires for the bus - everything comes off that points and track power, can run the trains with one hand now and not a switch in sight.

I have done that on a previous Layout a few years ago, and it really didn't gell for me, so I re did all the Points to a leaver frame, which I felt was more like a Signal Box.

This time I'm still unsure whether to go for a Track Diagram as I had with Seven Mills, or a Leaver Frame as I had with Kings Moreton, (see below)

IMG_5070.JPG.6b0752ff2a2f8ed62800252dbc7e8694.JPG

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Where is the fun in that. This what you need.

100_5769.JPG.d3c6992549219079db94dfd33353e3d4.JPG

100_5774.JPG.84cc9423ea4934ed2e5d2fb197e9f23e.JPG

100_5776.JPG.201c96cd8f3d211b45d1dc08773f3e06.JPG

That is before I wired up the signals and altered the track plan.

Yes I remember seeing that on my Visitation young Clive, I still have nightmares, but my GP says time is a great healer and I will get over it.:D

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, georgeT said:

Love the fiddle yard Bodge, you should hold some stock in there..

Cheers George, its not really big enough for a home Layout, but I will have room for 3 Trains in each direction plus the 4  maybe 5 dead end roads dedicated to the Branch. There is also a short 2ft spur at each end for a DMU, and I might add another DMU or Loco Storage road if I can.

• Like 3

In other News, after consultation with Mike @The Stationmasterhe has very kindly put me in the right direction for my Main Signals, Ground Signals and Trap Points.

So last night I ordered the Main Signals which is the 4 Starters and a Junction Signal to come in off the Down Main into the Yard after the Viaduct.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Yes I remember seeing that on my Visitation young Clive, I still have nightmares, but my GP says time is a great healer and I will get over it.:D

Look what I was confronted with. Something from the future.

282775899_MrPslayout.jpg.8cefe26e28731b5a96e21c235b143e83.jpg

Go on push a button and see what happens.

155402597_MrPslayout2.jpg.f237602f2e971d13be2b227af9437103.jpg

• Like 4
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

14 hours ago, Andrew P said:

A quiet afternoon but went back out at 4 and started with a good tidy up, then made a start on the main part of the Fiddle Yard and worked out that I need two more curved Points which I'll pick up at AC Models in Eastleigh on Wednesday.

IMG_5554.JPG.4c774073beead84765a89cd8b743d4d4.JPG

That’s a fine fiddle yard in the making

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

AP said>>>

"This time I'm still unsure whether to go for a Track Diagram as I had with Seven Mills, or a Leaver Frame as I had with Kings Moreton,"

Hello Andy what are the prime advantages for you of each system?

I favour a track plan schematic with point switch numbers imbedded onto it with switches or push buttons correspondingly numbered underneath the plan.

The plan will also have Leds displaying to show the live route selected, but am i missing something?  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am currrently working on an interlocking unit which will work with a lever frame fitted with microswitches or a mimic panel to allow swithes to be thrown but in accord with a locking table if the switch is locked a red LED will light and no actions will be taken until the switch is restored. If the switch is unlocked it will send a signal to operate the turnout or signal and apply any locks from that switch according to the table.

The first models will either use wires to the devices or will be able to send commands to a DCC++EX dcc sytem. This is a supported system which uses an Arduino Mega  and a Motor Shield cost about £30 including the power supply. This will opperate Accessory decoders  and avoid lots of wiring.

Don

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, Melangoose said:

That’s a fine fiddle yard in the making

Cheers Nigel, I picked up the last 3 points and 3 yds of track today, plus some other bits to finish off all the Trackwork, but will need to do a temporary bit across the door until I can decide what to do there.

Where I've raised the boards, I've been leaving the temporary door section in place and ducking under it, but if I do a 9 inch Viaduct that will not be possible after that so it would be in and out every time I need to dash to the loo, make a brew, or answer the door.

I could get away with about 3 inched and have the Track on an embankment with maybe a shallow River Bridge or something.

IMG_5368.JPG.a7f5da1ab19fe5d5c281bc4e60212f17.JPG

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

4 hours ago, Barnaby said:

AP said>>>

"This time I'm still unsure whether to go for a Track Diagram as I had with Seven Mills, or a Leaver Frame as I had with Kings Moreton,"

Hello Andy what are the prime advantages for you of each system?

I favour a track plan schematic with point switch numbers imbedded onto it with switches or push buttons correspondingly numbered underneath the plan.

The plan will also have Leds displaying to show the live route selected, but am i missing something?  

Track plan with switches, as I had on Seven Mills.

Advantage = Easy to see Route, flick switch in direction to follow a Route. Cheap cost, 18 x £2 switches. about £36.

Disadvantage = Never looks like a Signal Box to me, although I know it more or less is.

Bank of Leavers as per Kings Moreton.

Advantage = Takes up less room. Looks like a Signal Box Leaver Frame. Preferred look. 

Disadvantage = COST = 18 X £6.50 PLUS £12 for 3 x Frames about £130.

There is also a 3rd option, and that is just a row of switches in a row with colour coded knobs as I had with Porth Merryn.

1357398801_PhotoShoot2048.JPG.ef626ae76e675384f4db409038303dfd.JPG

Or a 4th option as I had with Trebudoc.

1818753725_26thJulyPhotoShoot031.JPG.cd2b7dad04b1123a5842f8409b5ef383.JPG

1000093932_TrebudocCarRepairShop2001.JPG.587f88d122ae6632f16b21f8f944d146.JPG

Choices, choices, choices.:rolleyes:

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

So basically you pays your money and makes your choice as all will work.

I think my choice will be similar to option 1 but with the switches id'ed on a condensed track plan with the switches numbered below it.

Thanks

• Like 3

Layout is coming together a treat Andy just love the sweeping formation that you have achieved it does make the layout appear much larger . Sounds like you have reached a tipping point with regards to the control panel display. The only thing I could say is what are you most comfortable with and which will make the operation more enjoyable it really is down to personal choice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Why does the Colas one have an extra light on ?

Well spotted that man.:good:

It has been fitted with an Illuminated Models Lighting board, it only arrived today so I need to go through all the functions and instructions.

It also has  Hornby TTS Sound Chip but with an up graded Bass Speaker, and has many CV's changed for a better sound distribution, i.e. all the sounds can be individually changed in volume etc.

It has also had its power distribution played with and the new settings make it creep real slow, and its a lot more controllable that the Bachmann Factory fitted ones.

I've only had half an hour with it so far, but really impressed.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

40 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Why does the Colas one have an extra light on ?

Historically the Bachmann models do not have the correct lighting configuration as the marker lights do not illuminate.  There is a company who sell replacement lighting bars for you to modify your 66.  Looks like this one has been modified.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 minutes ago, gismorail said:

Layout is coming together a treat Andy just love the sweeping formation that you have achieved it does make the layout appear much larger . Sounds like you have reached a tipping point with regards to the control panel display. The only thing I could say is what are you most comfortable with and which will make the operation more enjoyable it really is down to personal choice. 

Thanks Martin, yes choice and cost, I'm still not sure, hence not rushing into that part yet.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Melangoose said:

Historically the Bachmann models do not have the correct lighting configuration as the marker lights do not illuminate.  There is a company who sell replacement lighting bars for you to modify your 66.  Looks like this one has been modified.

Yes it has Nigel, see reply to Stu, above, they look a little complicated to install, but it does look so much better, I will have a serious read up and may do the rest of the fleet.

I will bring it, and the instructions with me at the weekend.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Just thinking about the doorway access board and the need for speed to exit the POD at certain times. You did mention the possible inclusion of a  viaduct as a lift out section which would be difficult to duck under unless you can do ‘limbo dancing’ . It occurred to me that if you were to make a low embankment with drainage culverts as if the line is transversing marshland the board would not need to be too much lower than the other boards . 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

31 minutes ago, gismorail said:

Just thinking about the doorway access board and the need for speed to exit the POD at certain times. You did mention the possible inclusion of a  viaduct as a lift out section which would be difficult to duck under unless you can do ‘limbo dancing’ . It occurred to me that if you were to make a low embankment with drainage culverts as if the line is transversing marshland the board would not need to be too much lower than the other boards . 

Yes indeed Martin, that or just a couple of inches lower for an embankment, field and pond as I had on New Mills.

DSCF3999.JPG.c823a87296c5b4a2563752bcd89514b2.JPG

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Golant

Screenshot_20210831-201233_Chrome.jpg.e23486e62a7ecb62eaffd1da33305358.jpg

Now that I like the idea of Stu, Cheers mate, I will work on that, AND its something different to anything I've tried before.

That picture gives me so much detail like the mud and water, and grass on the  embankment etc.

Really great idea, I'm well excited now.:good:

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That picture Stu posted was the sort of idea I was thinking of but with culverts or storm drainage pipes plus boats instead of caravans.  :lol:You could blend the scene with trees as the back scene as per the picture increasing the depth of field:sungum: 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1