Bute Road, ?

Andrew P

1 hour ago, Melangoose said:

My Dad has a model of 37425, which I think was a Limited Edition at one stage (until I started weathering it up and changing the buffers).  It’s a regular loco on the roster for our Melangoose layout.

Sorry also for the Hijack 

And very nice it is too Nigel.:good:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I have in the past used a drop shelf instead of a raised one. Obviously the shelf length must be less than the floor to layout height. It does restrict the doorway by the thickness of the shelf, say 4", and it helps if there is nothing sticking up on the top of the shelf, say telegraph poles, loading gauges or buildings. But for the 'tidal creek ' I would have thought it would work well. The barrel bolts can also be used to operate a relay so that when the shelf is down track either side of the shelf is dead

Drop shelf.png

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Ray H said:

Andy

Was it you or someone else on here that had the board across the exit door hinged vertical so that it swung round through 180º supported on a leg with a caster on it at the end remote from the hinges.

I appreciate that the opening end of the board would need to be curved.

Rothleigh had a hinged board that was easily lifted up 90 degrees with an end stop to keep it up so a quick exit could be made.  Do not remember the floor moving one although at G&WMRG Coopers Dale and Marston that was one of the planned  ... until we realised that it would need 24 sets of matched track so an external marshalling yard was added for those who could not crawl underneath. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, cliff park said:

I have in the past used a drop shelf instead of a raised one. Obviously the shelf length must be less than the floor to layout height. It does restrict the doorway by the thickness of the shelf, say 4", and it helps if there is nothing sticking up on the top of the shelf, say telegraph poles, loading gauges or buildings. But for the 'tidal creek ' I would have thought it would work well. The barrel bolts can also be used to operate a relay so that when the shelf is down track either side of the shelf is dead

Drop shelf.png

Thanks Cliff, I have seen this done with a couple of mates on their Layouts and its very effective.  I'm already restricted on width, and with having to rag Guitars and my Amp in and out it may be a bit to venerable for me to use, but a great idea for others to pick up on. Thanks for your input.:good:

Mine will probably a lift out, but now without a 9 inch drop to stick out sideways, I may look at a hinged up flap.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Rothleigh had a hinged board that was easily lifted up 90 degrees with an end stop to keep it up so a quick exit could be made.  Do not remember the floor moving one although at G&WMRG Coopers Dale and Marston that was one of the planned  ... until we realised that it would need 24 sets of matched track so an external marshalling yard was added for those who could not crawl underneath. 

Yes Peter, I remember the Trapezium draw idea on wheels, that was a real none starter with so many  Tracks across it.

Nightmare.:banghead:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Last night I made a start with wiring the Fiddle Yard, but still need ANOTHER 3 Yds of Track to do the two Spurs, one each end, and the Dead end Roads.

The short board over the Work Bench is a lift out, to enable me to turn over the corner board to the right, or remove the Fiddle Yard Board for a Gas man at any time, so there are plus for the connection each end.

IMG_5573.JPG.05e45c2a227efd70790f425ca3fc82d3.JPG

IMG_5574.JPG.e6424f5eead15366f78372b57e80b810.JPG

And finally I will finish and test the Fiddle Yard wiring today.

IMG_5572.JPG.95678939f9e0acde043bbb9378b1308f.JPG

IMG_5571.JPG.57d6f68f6d5c22801ac78aef404070bd.JPG

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

So this morning the wiring was completed apart from the 5 dead end sidings which I will do link wires at the buffer ends for, once they are all the same length.

A quick test before coffee and then move on to the next section.

You may also see I had some new arrivals this morning, a Rudd, 2 x Clams, and 2 x MOA's, Kadee's were fitted and tested on the tightest curve.

IMG_5575.JPG.b381aa8b779ccf77de86db6e1d4db505.JPG

IMG_5579.JPG.ade3ed19f09a24f2bd70ed5f7ec4b977.JPG

IMG_5580.JPG.28e72e51826736c858eb90197c779bc6.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

So this morning the wiring was completed apart from the 5 dead end sidings which I will do link wires at the buffer ends for, once they are all the same length.

A quick test before coffee and then move on to the next section.

You may also see I had some new arrivals this morning, a Rudd, 2 x Clams, and 2 x MOA's, Kadee's were fitted and tested on the tightest curve.

IMG_5575.JPG.b381aa8b779ccf77de86db6e1d4db505.JPG

IMG_5579.JPG.ade3ed19f09a24f2bd70ed5f7ec4b977.JPG

IMG_5580.JPG.28e72e51826736c858eb90197c779bc6.JPG

Sorry to bring bad news but the Clams were vacuum-braked and had all been withdrawn by the end of 2005. Even the air-braked Rudds didn't last much after 2008.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Sorry to bring bad news but the Clams were vacuum-braked and had all been withdrawn by the end of 2005. Even the air-braked Rudds didn't last much after 2008.

Thanks, I have a Brake Van coming, and will be running a wider period /and / or two different Periods, it will go with the early EW&S from 2000 and the Dutch 37.

Thanks anyway, as I didn't no the Dates or the Braking System.:good:

• Like 1

Blimey Andy I’m sure you said this was going to be a slow build :scratchhead:I’d hate to see a quick one :( at this rate your going to be finished by Christmas then followed by a period of operation you’ll be bored by Easter and be hatching another plan and selling up again :scared:

On a more positive note it’s looking very impressive and I for one am enjoying you progress …….every time I stop for a driver rest period more has be completed ……wonderful carry young man :sungum:

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gismorail said:

Blimey Andy I’m sure you said this was going to be a slow build :scratchhead:I’d hate to see a quick one :( at this rate your going to be finished by Christmas then followed by a period of operation you’ll be bored by Easter and be hatching another plan and selling up again :scared:

On a more positive note it’s looking very impressive and I for one am enjoying you progress …….every time I stop for a driver rest period more has be completed ……wonderful carry young man :sungum:

See what you could be doing if you RETIRED Martin.:laugh:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

11 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

See what you could be doing if you RETIRED Martin.:laugh:

Yes I know Andy but needs must and wagon drivers are needed to save the economy…….and I’m doing my bit for Queen and Country plus I do like my trucking days:dancer:

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Touching on what Bill (treggyman) touched on yesterday about CDA’s.   Even in the year 2021 and all CDA’s carrying DB branding, you can sill see certain CDA’s displaying there previous history.  
As in this example you can see the blue coming through on the cradle.

4EE562E3-EDDA-4839-AFF4-5D825B0C7EEF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, gismorail said:

Yes I know Andy but needs must and wagon drivers are needed to save the economy…….and I’m doing my bit for Queen and Country plus I do like my trucking days:dancer:

AND THE MONEY.:o Don't forget the Modelling Tokens.:dancer:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, shedman said:

I'm pleased Martin's doing a week driving to give him a break from trying to flatten what looks to me to be a mountain, ie  levelling ground for foundations.

I thought I felt the Earth move earlier this week, I thought I was having a lucky day, apparently not.:fie:

• Funny 3

21 minutes ago, Melangoose said:

Touching on what Bill (treggyman) touched on yesterday about CDA’s.   Even in the year 2021 and all CDA’s carrying DB branding, you can sill see certain CDA’s displaying there previous history.  
As in this example you can see the blue coming through on the cradle.

4EE562E3-EDDA-4839-AFF4-5D825B0C7EEF.jpeg

That's a useful pic Nigel, cheers. It will be very helpful for when I start to do the weathering, of which I have LOADS to do.

18 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I do enjoy watching your builds come together Andy 

If only I could keep up at the same pace :blush:

Cheers Chris, But if I had a tenth of the talent you seem to have with your eye for detail, and then turning it into reality.

If there is anyone out there who has not visited Chris's Warren Branch, then I suggest you do so, NOW.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, muddys-blues said:

Hello Andy, it’s coming on really well :good:.

Is this a practice run for when you do it in 7mm after Christmas ? Those Dapol Bubbles will look nice on an O version of Bute Rd, 1970’s era :D

stay safe

Craig 

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::haha:

• Agree 1