Bute Road, ?

Andrew P

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

IMG_5611.JPG.436af8ccf3bd8953a74f99963a300dd0.JPG

Maybe you could use one of those diagonals to create a circuit on one of your power lines with the corresponding diagonal on your flap - so if the 'bridge' is up there is no power to the rest of the layout and will ensure any locos running sedately in any direction don't plunge into the sea.   Something Heath Robinson like a couple of bits of brass on the layout diagonal connected to one of the bus wires that create a circuit when another piece of brass on the flap completes the circuit when the flap is down.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Maybe you could use one of those diagonals to create a circuit on one of your power lines with the corresponding diagonal on your flap - so if the 'bridge' is up there is no power to the rest of the layout and will ensure any locos running sedately in any direction don't plunge into the sea.   Something Heath Robinson like a couple of bits of brass on the layout diagonal connected to one of the bus wires that create a circuit when another piece of brass on the flap completes the circuit when the flap is down.

I do like that idea, and one well worth looking into, Cheers.:good:

It only needs to be one wire out from the DCC Unit,  and that would break the Track feed. simples.:D

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

6 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I do like that idea, and one well worth looking into, Cheers.:good:

It only needs to be one wire out from the DCC Unit,  and that would break the Track feed. simples.:D

1698549621_CircuitbreakeronLiftingFlap..png.4b41142e8197898464d29ef10a7434db.png

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Just found this thread Andy and watched your first video. Really enjoyed it; nice gentle yet knowledgeable style. I've not read anything else from this thread, so I'll be a month behind...

Thanks Peter, It will be SOLD by then.:nono: :D:dancer::swoon:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

If you do add a 'switch' to the flap , you won't be able to run any part of the layout with the flap up. Is that what you want?

It might be advantageous to run part of the layout (eg virtual quarry) without closing the flap if you just want a short session.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Stubby47 said:

If you do add a 'switch' to the flap , you won't be able to run any part of the layout with the flap up. Is that what you want?

It might be advantageous to run part of the layout (eg virtual quarry) without closing the flap if you just want a short session.

I agree and see where your coming from Stu, but it only needs one Loco to be moving from the Fiddle Yard behind me, and it could be a disaster.

HAVING SAID THAT, I will look at it, as I might want to maybe run from the Fiddle Yard to the Virtual Quarry or Loops, I'll have a better idea of what I need once I start to play with operate it.

• Like 4

Going back to Andy's first video on planning, I usually worked up the plans at 1in to 1ft. As I used PECO track, I'd draw and cut out  little outlines of the turnouts to their geometry - small radius, medium and large, together with (if required) single / double slips etc. I could move these around on the plan to see which fitted best for each location. Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

That's it from me for the weekend.

I'm off to a BBQ tomorrow at a friends with two or three Layouts running in the Shed, Conservatory and Lounge, and maybe more. I'm looking forward to that and getting some pics and ideas. I think there's about 8 of us from on here going to be in attendance.:good:

Should  be a good day out.

A perfect (grand!) day out. Enjoy

Cheers

David

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

I did Stafford and then managed Glasgow at the end of Feb.

And tomorrow I’m thinking of going to the Liverpool exhibition - only 18 months gap!

Paul.

I'm still dubious about big Shows, I have one at Tolworth, which is just west of London, and to be honest, I'm still a little nervous of big crowds indoors, especially that near London.

Its something I need to overcome, but having seen Covid first hand in the close family on 50 year olds that were double jabbed I still have concerns. 

If you do go, I hope its a good one and you enjoy it Paul.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

38 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Going back to Andy's first video on planning, I usually worked up the plans at 1in to 1ft. As I used PECO track, I'd draw and cut out  little outlines of the turnouts to their geometry - small radius, medium and large, together with (if required) single / double slips etc. I could move these around on the plan to see which fitted best for each location. Just a thought.

That sounds like a great idea Peter, I have many Peco Templates that I have photo copied and when I started this idea, and that was before selling Seven Mills, I covered SM with paper and then laid out the Templates to see what would work.

Loads of ideas that different people use.

Thanks for your input and ideas.:good:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

That's it from me for the weekend.

I'm off to a BBQ tomorrow at a friends with two or three Layouts running in the Shed, Conservatory and Lounge, and maybe more. I'm looking forward to that and getting some pics and ideas. I think there's about 8 of us from on here going to be in attendance.:good:

Should  be a good day out.

Due to a having a dodgy eye I first read that as “off to B&Q tomorrow” and wondered why eight were going :lol:

• Funny 9

6 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Due to a having a dodgy eye I first read that as “off to B&Q tomorrow” and wondered why eight were going :lol:

Bet you thought; 8 going, he needs a lot of timber for the NEXT PROJECT already.:notme:

Hope the eye gets better soon mate.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I agree and see where your coming from Stu, but it only needs one Loco to be moving from the Fiddle Yard behind me, and it could be a disaster.

HAVING SAID THAT, I will look at it, as I might want to maybe run from the Fiddle Yard to the Virtual Quarry or Loops, I'll have a better idea of what I need once I start to play with operate it.

Instead of using the switch in the V to cut power to the whole layout, how about using it to isolate a section of track before the lift out bridge - then if anything does move toward the drop it would hopefully stop in the isolated section before disaster can occur.

Andi

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

In reality I do the same.  A good many years ago Andy came round to put me right on a 66 and in passing said why don't you just stick your plan down and put the track on top ... at that time it hadn't occurred to me that by printing out points etc to the right scale it would be easier to lay.  I have planned that way ever since but ... I have a stack of 'unfinished' plans.  Rothleigh is no more because we have moved down to Wiltshire.

Edited by PeterBB
spelling correction
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, andi4x4 said:

Instead of using the switch in the V to cut power to the whole layout, how about using it to isolate a section of track before the lift out bridge - then if anything does move toward the drop it would hopefully stop in the isolated section before disaster can occur.

Andi

Cheers Andi, Another nice idea to look at, thanks for your input and ideas.:good:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I'm still dubious about big Shows

And rightly so.
Liverpool is actually quite a small show and easy for me to get to.  Not too pricey if I decide it’s too crowded and leave early.

Paul.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

And rightly so.
Liverpool is actually quite a small show and easy for me to get to.  Not too pricey if I decide it’s too crowded and leave early.

Paul.

Don't blame you Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1