Bute Road, ?

Andrew P

I am having same thoughts about  going to Glasgow next Feb it does get busy and its a long train ride even though I go first class .Will  be going to Pitstone near here end of September small but interesting show by Tring MRC should be okay .Glad the layout  is coming on okay look forward to seeing trains running. Chris

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

You know I was thinking about joining Tring MRC because it's not that far from where I live and they have some very nice layouts, then I saw how much they want for subs.....WOW! I mean WOW!!

Regards Lez.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Maybe you could use one of those diagonals to create a circuit on one of your power lines with the corresponding diagonal on your flap - so if the 'bridge' is up there is no power to the rest of the layout and will ensure any locos running sedately in any direction don't plunge into the sea.   Something Heath Robinson like a couple of bits of brass on the layout diagonal connected to one of the bus wires that create a circuit when another piece of brass on the flap completes the circuit when the flap is down.

7 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I do like that idea, and one well worth looking into, Cheers.:good:

It only needs to be one wire out from the DCC Unit,  and that would break the Track feed. simples.:D

Use a real microswitch - it will be more reliable.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

23 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Love Potion No 9, a great tune, and one that I enjoy playing, but what about Video No 9, will you enjoy it?

We will see.:swoon:

Just enjoyed it with breakfast on holiday. Thanks for sharing :good:. If your layouts keep shrinking, it'll be N gauge next I guess... followed by TT? :)

All the best,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

8 hours ago, lmsforever said:

I am having same thoughts about  going to Glasgow next Feb it does get busy and its a long train ride even though I go first class .Will  be going to Pitstone near here end of September small but interesting show by Tring MRC should be okay .Glad the layout  is coming on okay look forward to seeing trains running. Chris

Cheers for your comments about Trains running and I hope that will be in the next week or so.

I'm really not sure about any shows yet, there's still a lot of Anti Vaxers out there that don't mind mixing with others, and don't care.

SORRY RANT OVER.:D

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

8 hours ago, lezz01 said:

You know I was thinking about joining Tring MRC because it's not that far from where I live and they have some very nice layouts, then I saw how much they want for subs.....WOW! I mean WOW!!

Regards Lez.

I don't know how much Tring is, but the Club I used to belong to was £60 a year, inc FREE tea, coffee and biscuits.:dancer:

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Use a real microswitch - it will be more reliable.

3am, and I'm awake trying to work out what to use, and your spot on, I'd not thought about a micro Switch, but it really is the obvious solution.

Cheers.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Friendly/supportive 6

26 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Just enjoyed it with breakfast on holiday. Thanks for sharing :good:. If your layouts keep shrinking, it'll be N gauge next I guess... followed by TT? :)

All the best,

Dave

Haha, Done ''N'' see Glenfinick, but I wish TT was continued years ago as RTR, its a perfect size for most scenarios, for compactness and visibility.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

I don't know how much Tring is, but the Club I used to belong to was £60 a year, inc FREE tea, coffee and biscuits.:dancer:

I bet you got your £60 quids worth of tea and biscuits Mr Peter’s :D

Our happy band of modellers with no subscription for membership are going to the Liverpool Show today and being extremely brave / foolhardy and going by train as it usually a good show . Last show was Glasgow 18 mths ago so looking forward to seeing real live layouts and traders :dancer:

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, gismorail said:

I bet you got your £60 quids worth of tea and biscuits Mr Peter’s :D

Our happy band of modellers with no subscription for membership are going to the Liverpool Show today and being extremely brave / foolhardy and going by train as it usually a good show . Last show was Glasgow 18 mths ago so looking forward to seeing real live layouts and traders :dancer:

£60 worth of custard creams:D

Enjoy the Show Guys.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Our club has decided to cancel Railex Taunton in Oct. it’s a shame but I cannot say I will not be glad not to have to spend hours on the door with everyone breathing on you while they hand over the entrance money.

Don 

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

2 minutes ago, Donw said:

Our club has decided to cancel Railex Taunton in Oct. it’s a shame but I cannot say I will not be glad not to have to spend hours on the door with everyone breathing on you while they hand over the entrance money.

Don 

These two posts prompt me to comment on club finances.

The most successful clubs I have belonged to budget their income so that the fixed costs of the club's existence - clubroom rental, utilities, insurance, etc. - are covered by subscriptions. The exhibition raises money (with luck) for all the other things a club likes to do - build layouts, excursions, etc.

Clubs that rely on exhibition income to cover their fixed costs are, in my opinion, putting themselves in a precarious position. One poor year of exhibition income and you've lost the lot (and yes, I've seen it happen).

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

21 hours ago, Andrew P said:

That's it from me for the weekend.

I'm off to a BBQ tomorrow at a friends with two or three Layouts running in the Shed, Conservatory and Lounge, and maybe more. I'm looking forward to that and getting some pics and ideas. I think there's about 8 of us from on here going to be in attendance.:good:

Should  be a good day out.

Oh Joy, That sounds fun the best I'm doing is to combine a visit to the SVR @ Highley for big and small engines and a family treat at the local Ship inn pub for a late dinner.   :good::swoon:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Andrew P said:

And still is with gauge N 009 OO On30 O G and variations, DC/DCC in between for a number and of late there are days when running is almost as long as a 'former' day work for some.  It contains those who just want to run, talk, build, and with a wide range of skills within its membership.

The odd day out or 'something special' for a particular layout is quite often funded by that section and the odd time e.g. conversion from DC to DCC such that there is no way there can be a mix up can be quite costly but as St Enoch says cover major expenses by subscriptions ... hence why some years ago the G and W clubs combined to make them both viable as one unit.

Edited by PeterBB
More information.
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The MRC in Kings Cross is £70 for a "town member" and £48 for a "country member". They also offer concession membership rates of £28 for certain reasons.

Regards Lez. 

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

If I may offer a suggestion? A reliable (and dare I say) foolproof method of isolating in these circumstances is having the feed to the lifting section via a plug and and short lead to a socket on the open end. It’s then only ever possible to have power on the lifting section when it’s down.  

Griff

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, griffgriff said:

If I may offer a suggestion? A reliable (and dare I say) foolproof method of isolating in these circumstances is having the feed to the lifting section via a plug and and short lead to a socket on the open end. It’s then only ever possible to have power on the lifting section when it’s down.  

Griff

Whilst I agree, I also need the tracks either side to be dead as well, hence I'm going to cut power to the whole layout when its open. I may put in a by pass switch for Ltd testing etc, but that will be via switch with a RED LED on the panel as a warning.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1