Bute Road, ?

Andrew P

Video No 13, featuring a Special Guest operator  Mike Buick / @scoobyra

PLEASE NOTE = I am aware that I spelt Meningitis wrong at the  end, so can we NOT have a discussion about it please, I already feel very embarrassed. Thanks.:D

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice introduction, busy boy!

And an excellent cameo piece from Mike.  That the one thing in sound that often doesn’t feel right, the rev rise before any movement, falling as the governor kicks in and then rising as the train moves off.  (It was especially characteristic of class 47.)  Well done.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Nice introduction, busy boy!

And an excellent cameo piece from Mike.  That the one thing in sound that often doesn’t feel right, the rev rise before any movement, falling as the governor kicks in and then rising as the train moves off.  (It was especially characteristic of class 47.)  Well done.

Paul.

Cheers Paul, I've never really heard it in the Model form before, but what a difference it makes to the overall feel of the Layout and driving experience.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, georgeT said:

Really enjoyed the latest video Andy, the signals are starting to look the part, well done mate.

Cheers Bud, I enjoyed driving the Trains to the Signals on Kings Moreton, (see some later Videos) and you get a far better operating experience as well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Thanks very much David.:good:

Andrew;

ive also seen a recent video of your new build and the first running. 
I can’t believe how fast you are in building layouts- I’m in awe.

My Hawkinsfield junction is 10 plus years and only half way!!! It’s tortoise like!

Anyway, I have a question arising from watching your video; in it you mentioned the NEM pockets and using Kadee’s in them. What I would like to know is which number Kadee you use for your goods stock and locos? 
many thanks for your layout motivation 

regards Andy R

NZ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Andy, Firstly thanks for the kind words.

Re the Kadee's, I use a mix of 17, 18, 19 or 20 depending on the Wagon / Loco, and where the NEM socket is located, i.e how far back under the Chassis, and the Buffer length of the Stock, on shorter Stock you can sometimes get away with 17 to 17, or may need to go 17 to 18, or both 18's, 19 and 20 tend to be on really long stuff and things like the Heljan Cargowagons.

Of course the over riding thing will be the Radius curves you have on your Layout as well.

I hope that is of some help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Evening Mr P sorry to disturb your modelling time .......grumpy :ireful:.....excellent video update Andy like the signals and the control panel. Interesting the Class 67 start off under load you'll have to explain that as it sounds very real .....keep up the good work :victory:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, gismorail said:

Evening Mr P sorry to disturb your modelling time .......grumpy :ireful:.....excellent video update Andy like the signals and the control panel. Interesting the Class 67 start off under load you'll have to explain that as it sounds very real .....keep up the good work :victory:

Cheers Martin, I'm not, as you well know, a normally grumpy person, but I just thought it would be something a bit different. 

I'll try and get Mike to come around and do a talk through the process to camera one evening, and explain in more detail how its done. Even I couldn't take in all he was telling me on the night.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Cheers Martin, I'm not, as you well know, a normally grumpy person, but I just thought it would be something a bit different. 

I'll try and get Mike to come around and do a talk through the process to camera one evening, and explain in more detail how its done. Even I couldn't take in all he was telling me on the night.

Hi Andy,

Well I just got caught up with the videos, well done on all of them - they really do come over well.  As for telling us to go away when your busy .. have you tried that with Mrs P?  Second thoughts I am not so sure that the image of your goodself with a black eye or suffering from hunger because the kitchen has been closed due to hostilities would quite work .... stay as you are telling us to go away .. you know we won't :) 

The layout is coming on quite quickly now.  This isn't intended to start a debate or suggest you do things differently, but given the number of wiring connections you've now got over the boards - did you give any thought to using DCC stationary decoders with the point motors? I know you can get control boards that convert the push button or throw switches of a control panel to DCC commands - but I am assuming there is some reason why you went with the traditional way? I am guessing cost/complexity?

Rich 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Andy,

Well I just got caught up with the videos, well done on all of them - they really do come over well.  As for telling us to go away when your busy .. have you tried that with Mrs P?  Second thoughts I am not so sure that the image of your goodself with a black eye or suffering from hunger because the kitchen has been closed due to hostilities would quite work .... stay as you are telling us to go away .. you know we won't :) 

The layout is coming on quite quickly now.  This isn't intended to start a debate or suggest you do things differently, but given the number of wiring connections you've now got over the boards - did you give any thought to using DCC stationary decoders with the point motors? I know you can get control boards that convert the push button or throw switches of a control panel to DCC commands - but I am assuming there is some reason why you went with the traditional way? I am guessing cost/complexity?

Rich 

Cheers Rich, Moving quickly on to your second point, :D I've tried DCC control for Points etc, both on one of my Layouts and a friends, and it just doesn't suit me.

Out of choice I would have gone down the Lever Frame route as I had on Pencarne, but the cost of that now is crazy, @ almost £170 just for the Peco Switches.

I like what I have with the Route settings and see what the Signals are set to on the Panel, and I can just suddenly throw a Signal to Red, and then have to stop the Train, and wait until I next come back to the Layout before releasing to Green and GO again. All good PLAY FUN.:dancer:

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

51 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Great video Andy. I'm so pleased I'm Not the only one that doesn't like kits.

BTW I like those signals in your video.:good:

Yeah, Mike Buick / @scoobyra has done a brilliant job on the other one for me, including reducing the head size to be correct and painting the back in the correct Grey, trouble is, I now have to do the others to match, haha.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Andrew P said:

So before lunch I made some more progress.

And I'd imagine that after lunch you'd have needed a well earned kip!

Edited by Ray H
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1