Bute Road, ?

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold
On 21/09/2021 at 15:05, Andrew P said:

:devil:

Now I don't know if its just me, but I'm getting Adds both top and bottom of the screen, and I now cant even see a complete photo without moving the side bar up and down.

I KNOW the site needs funds, and Adverts help pay for that, but on my Laptop I now only have about a 5 inch band for content.

This is very frustrating, so not sure how long I will continue with this.:banghead:

I am also getting a advert when changing from one page to another where the normal scene is fuzzy behind the advert really p*ssing me off.

Don

edit: posted before I got as far as the suggestion to post ad comments elsewhere

Edited by Donw
adding post script
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Brian, Thanks and glad you like the Videos, I don't think there's much call for Container Traffic in Cornwall, but someone is bound to prove me wrong.

Where are the ones you see going to / coming from?

I live close to the Tilbury Loop on the former London Tilbury and Southend Railway and the whole line is over head electrified for commuter emu services. Down the road a newish port has been built (Arab money) so half mile long Shed hauled container trains are a welcome break, train spotter wise, from the emus but a bit of a pain with the level crossings hereabouts. They are great to watch thundering through and I keep meaning to make a video to share on here and the usual upload site. 

Probably not many deep water ports in Cornwall though but you could always apply Rule 1 and surely you might have spotted such traffic at Eastleigh, albeit in ain't Cornwall. 

Regards 

Brian 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Brian D said:

I live close to the Tilbury Loop on the former London Tilbury and Southend Railway and the whole line is over head electrified for commuter emu services. Down the road a newish port has been built (Arab money) so half mile long Shed hauled container trains are a welcome break, train spotter wise, from the emus but a bit of a pain with the level crossings hereabouts. They are great to watch thundering through and I keep meaning to make a video to share on here and the usual upload site. 

Probably not many deep water ports in Cornwall though but you could always apply Rule 1 and surely you might have spotted such traffic at Eastleigh, albeit in ain't Cornwall. 

Regards 

Brian 

I can visualise the area your talking about now, and understand your frustration with the Units.

We have the Freightliners from Southampton through Eastleigh, and like you, it makes a nice change, but in our case from 3rd Rail Electrics. With the Virtual Quarry at Eastleigh, we get a lot of Stone Traffic and Engineers workings in the Yard, which is alongside Platform 3, so easy viewing, and with the Depot next door, plus Freightliners Southampton Maritime Depot, we also see a lot of light Engine workings so in reality its a busy place with plenty of variety as well.

IMG_5246.JPG.2475264be9835b19b94ccb1329b6e46c.JPG

IMG_4855.JPG.b3c2c24af3fcaa7f6bf6b17637ff54f8.JPG

IMG_4822.JPG.902299f5ebf17f2ba77b7a4aab4076db.JPG

IMG_4829.JPG.2bc26f2b7fe5e8f8a1a495fcd349e519.JPG

IMG_3124.JPG.ad334cf2614ded7102f630dd962e989f.JPG

IMG_3132.JPG.a159a65f702e644790a81e57f838f871.JPG

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Brian D said:

Regards 

Brian 

Falmouth docks might give you the excuse you need Andy?  Potentially some interesting traffic too, with the RFAs being worked on there from time to time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Falmouth docks might give you the excuse you need Andy?  Potentially some interesting traffic too, with the RFAs being worked on there from time to time.

Thanks Graham, but please excuse my ignorance, but what is an RFA, is it the Royal Fleet Auxiliary?  And is so, o you know what sort of Traffic would that produce please?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Thanks Graham, but please excuse my ignorance, but what is an RFA, is it the Royal Fleet Auxiliary?  And is so, o you know what sort of Traffic would that produce please?

Yes it's the Royal Fleet Auxiliary.  They berth in Falmouth from time to time, as it's a deep water harbour.  Not sure if they ever do refit work there, but even resupply would involve all sorts of traffic.  They carry everything the RN ships need by way of supplies on deployment - so, food, water, fuel, ammunition, parts...  Basically, pretty much anything goes.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

18 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Yes it's the Royal Fleet Auxiliary.  They berth in Falmouth from time to time, as it's a deep water harbour.  Not sure if they ever do refit work there, but even resupply would involve all sorts of traffic.  They carry everything the RN ships need by way of supplies on deployment - so, food, water, fuel, ammunition, parts...  Basically, pretty much anything goes.

Thanks so maybe some short container Traffic, Oil Tanks, and Cargowagons etc, sounds good, so thanks once again for your input.:good:

So there we go Brian, @Brian D, an excuse for some containers. Cheers to asking the original question.:good:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

12 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Yes - but, there hasn't been any ship victualling and component etc rail traffic into Falmouth Docks for a very long. time.  Several RFAs are/have been  based there  and i think there might even hav e been some refit work done in the shipyard but they definitely wouldn't load ammo and military stores there as they go to Plymouth for that.

as far as container trains are concerned you could of course buy loads of suitable wagons and containers and assume the Falmouth container port schem actually happened and there is at least one container train through Cornwall in each direction every hour for most of the day (the base case was 14 trains daily, each way )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

Yes - but, there hasn't been any ship victualling and component etc rail traffic into Falmouth Docks for a very long. time.  Several RFAs are/have been  based there  and i think there might even hav e been some refit work done in the shipyard but they definitely wouldn't load ammo and military stores there as they go to Plymouth for that.

as far as container trains are concerned you could of course buy loads of suitable wagons and containers and assume the Falmouth container port schem actually happened and there is at least one container train through Cornwall in each direction every hour for most of the day (the base case was 14 trains daily, each way )

Cheers Mike, Some great information, and very useful, so I might need to go for Rule 1, AND Rule 2, :D :good:.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

If you extend the timeline slightly , there was a few domestic coal workings to Falmouth in 97/8, cawoods containers on PFA ( like accurascale I think ),

There was also shot blast debris in Manchester council waste containers on container flats to BZ, that ordinated in Falmouth.

Having looked at doing a Devon plank a fair few times I gathered some info……another one which ran to Truro in the last decade was an EWS 66 and MEAS ( I have both ) , taking a caustic cargo off loaded from a ship in Falmouth , which was in danger of turning into sulphuric acid or something similar .

An easy win is scrap in monster boxes or SSas like the one that ran to BZ, and has run from Exeter , Plymouth and st erth as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

One unusual traffic which ran for a while back in the 1980s was fish - in airbrake open wagons (unsheeted) and that came out of the docks although i'm not at all sure exactly where it was loaded, on its way to be processed into fish meal so it went forward on the Cornish airbrake service.  Reportedly it stank to high heaven - especially when the train was standing in Bristol TM waiting a path :blink:

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, georgeT said:

Really like that livery mate, l do miss Eastleigh, will have to come down again soon...

That would be good, Hopefully a day when the Yard is busy, although I blame you for there being nothing happening last time you came down, your a Jonas mate.:laugh:

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

If you extend the timeline slightly , there was a few domestic coal workings to Falmouth in 97/8, cawoods containers on PFA ( like accurascale I think ),

There was also shot blast debris in Manchester council waste containers on container flats to BZ, that ordinated in Falmouth.

Having looked at doing a Devon plank a fair few times I gathered some info……another one which ran to Truro in the last decade was an EWS 66 and MEAS ( I have both ) , taking a caustic cargo off loaded from a ship in Falmouth , which was in danger of turning into sulphuric acid or something similar .

An easy win is scrap in monster boxes or SSas like the one that ran to BZ, and has run from Exeter , Plymouth and st erth as well.

Thanks Rob, I want to stick to early 2000's as a time line if I can, but certainly worth a thought, Cheers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

One unusual traffic which ran for a while back in the 1980s was fish - in airbrake open wagons (unsheeted) and that came out of the docks although i'm not at all sure exactly where it was loaded, on its way to be processed into fish meal so it went forward on the Cornish airbrake service.  Reportedly it stank to high heaven - especially when the train was standing in Bristol TM waiting a path :blink:

That sounds horrendous Mike, a bit to early for, and a tadge smelly as well.:notme: 

• Like 2

There always the Burngullow sand flow that has been in the hands of both Freightliner and DB.....loads of different wagons have been on that one......that's if you are looking for more reasons to buy more wagons :lol::lol:

Edited by Iron Horse
gramma
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Iron Horse said:

There always the Burngullow sand flow that has been in the hands of both Freightliner and DB.....loads of different wagons have been on that one......that's if you are looking for more reasons to buy more wagons :lol::lol:

Thanks, Another one I didn't know about, now an excuse for a Freightliner 66 I guess, do you know what Wagons were used please Adrian?

• Friendly/supportive 1

Well there used to be loads of pictures on the Totnes Trains website but that looks like it's been shutdown so one alternative is to perhaps go through the archives on the Dawlish Trains website.

I'm also not a wagon expert, that said Freightliner definitely used HIA's and there own box wagons but I'm not too good with the codes for those. DB have used their small MEA wagons on a few occasions, their MBA Mega-boxes and have used there own newer box wagons more recently. That said I've never seen pictures of red MMA's in Cornwall but I think a blue rake was used quite a bit.

Any proper experts please correct me

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, Iron Horse said:

Well there used to be loads of pictures on the Totnes Trains website but that looks like it's been shutdown so one alternative is to perhaps go through the archives on the Dawlish Trains website.

I'm also not a wagon expert, that said Freightliner definitely used HIA's and there own box wagons but I'm not too good with the codes for those. DB have used their small MEA wagons on a few occasions, their MBA Mega-boxes and have used there own newer box wagons more recently. That said I've never seen pictures of red MMA's in Cornwall but I think a blue rake was used quite a bit.

Any proper experts please correct me

Great  info, Cheers Adrian.:good:

• Friendly/supportive 1