Bute Road, ?

Andrew P

Here’s a question.

why do people build non scenic fiddle yards on roundy roundy home based layouts?

fair enough if it’s hidden and out of sight or on a lower level , but when it’s on the flat and level with the scenic boards and not for public exhibition why make it non scenic?

I understand on exhibition layouts where you are presenting a modelled piece of scenery and don’t want hand of god fiddling around and making up trains, but when it’s your own layout, it doesn’t really matter.

it’s just a head scratcher 

Edited by 47606odin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, 47606odin said:

Here’s a question.

why do people build non scenic fiddle yards on roundy roundy home based layouts?

fair enough if it’s hidden and out of sight or on a lower level , but when it’s on the flat and level with the scenic boards and not for public exhibition why make it non scenic?

I understand on exhibition layouts where you are presenting a modelled piece of scenery and don’t want hand of god fiddling around and making up trains, but when it’s your own layout, it doesn’t really matter.

Funny you should say that Ian, I did have a discussion with a friend of mine, Mike / @scoobyraabout having a scenic fiddle yard and making it a bit like the Tonbridge West Yard Layout.

I have seen it done and its very effective, but not so popular over here for the same reason most modellers have a hidden Fiddle Yard on a Depot or BLT Layout,. Its just somewhere for the Train to go to the rest of the World.

To me, a Fiddle Yard of some sort is an absolute must, and also needs to be as big as possible to accommodate as much variety of Stock as possible.

When I built Kings Moreton the intention was to have a small BLT, (Much Dithering) in front of the Fiddle Yard, but the need for more Storage out wade the use of the BLT, so the Fiddle Yard was increased in capacity and had I kept it, the New Yard would have been made a Scenic set of sidings.

1426121738_RemovingMD001-Copy.JPG.86f108f57fe22a3a1f92781e59b5028c.JPG

IMG_4289.JPG.f5deba16ea81d6025a2737995fbe99fe.JPG

IMG_4288.JPG.031b0c0e4bbc9585ea23a629af356e8f.JPG

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 minutes ago, georgeT said:

Just sat and watched your latest video and found it very interesting, well done, would think it would be of help to any newbies coming into the hobby...

Thanks George, I hope it will mate. Cheers.:good:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Breakfast TV (well video, but who’s checking)!  
Like you, my over centre latches are on the side at the front anf the top at the back. You even answered my question about how to hide them on scenic boards.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Here’s a question.

Because you need somewhere where the hand of god can descend and fiddle with rolling stock without scenic items being in the way and at risk of being damaged.

And a number of parallel loops containing all kinds of passenger stock, freight, spare brake vans and more locos than would ever be seen in one place (typically) can never really look realistic, whatever level of scenery is applied.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 9

2 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Here’s a question.

Good question, and following on from andys post I have a few thoughts as this is something I'm contemplating at the moment... I'm leaning to the conclusion that with a fiddle yard being "the rest of the world", if its scenic it somehow takes this away and thus to the eye it becomes more of an addition to the layout and not representing the rest of the world. Secondly due to their design and function, I don't think they are the most straightforward to scenic. Firstly unless you're making it look like a 1:1 scale storage or engineers yard it is difficult to alter it to something else. If you do and start adding other scenic items then you lose storage roads which may then impact on the fiddle yard operation. Taller Things like trees, telegraph poles etc would be caught if hands were needed regularly. That's just my opinion and as I say I'm mulling it over myself currently and if I saw a good compromise I'd be happy to swing back the other way! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Breakfast TV (well video, but who’s checking)!  
Like you, my over centre latches are on the side at the front anf the top at the back. You even answered my question about how to hide them on scenic boards.

Paul.

Haha, Can you guess what was under here?

UIMG_3242.JPG.ee2ba7c298da5bb51205b8c3951b2cf8.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Going back to your scenic fiddleyard, perhaps have two side by side if you can - the back unscenic for the few passenger trains to hide in, but then have the front scenic for your freight.

That way you've got more on show and it looks more like a Tonbridge but without random passenger units stored.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Going back to your scenic fiddleyard, perhaps have two side by side if you can - the back unscenic for the few passenger trains to hide in, but then have the front scenic for your freight.

That way you've got more on show and it looks more like a Tonbridge but without random passenger units stored.

My initial plan when Stu / @Stubby47 came was to have a Viaduct in front of the Fiddle Yard, but that wouldn't work unfortunately.

• Friendly/supportive 4

For me it is just a simple question of the fact that a big fiddle yard just wouldn't mate with the scenics. and to create time delay for a train to go somewhere even an a roundy roundy.  

• Like 2

This mornings work included finishing off the bit over the Work Bench, and then about 2 hours tidying, hoovering and re sorting rubbish, and then putting a curtain around the rubbish (suggested by @georgeTof this Parish, that I kept, and things like Paint pots and the Workmate etc.

IMG_5324.JPG.b8317a97535301160218f4d582cf11e4.JPG

IMG_5325.JPG.934531ba083c6979170a525be722d077.JPGIMG_5326.JPG.f19bfcde238baeb06725f8467104a797.JPG

IMG_5328.JPG.6ce3e3a41511736da22be613ce2a6a64.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Hi Andy this is going to be a very interesting layout .Does this mean an end to 0 gauge. Ishall be watching it with interest .I see you up to your old tricks with the timber .You did well to get a Bachmann class 70 .

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I really don't know what to do about our Postie, he keeps arriving with Parcels.

This one has Legobiffoman  Sound.:D

IMG_5329.JPG.657f55670f7faa1633855a9ea2618cc2.JPG

Very nice.  I wish my postman would drop a few through my letter box. 

Jerry. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

4 hours ago, IAN K said:

Hi Andy this is going to be a very interesting layout .Does this mean an end to 0 gauge. Ishall be watching it with interest .I see you up to your old tricks with the timber .You did well to get a Bachmann class 70 .

Hi EEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, How you doin mate?

Yes an end to O Gauge, although I do still have a 33 to go, but that will be the end of an very enjoyable era.

Yep, plenty of Timber, The Souf now has a Ply Wood shortage.:scared:

Dead lucky with the 70, but bloomin expensive, as much as I would like another, I don't think its going to happen.

Keep smiling and taking the tablets, BTW you still owe me a Belgium Bun.:o:laugh:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jerry1975 said:

Very nice.  I wish my postman would drop a few through my letter box. 

Jerry. 

But I'm glad mine aren't literally dropped, otherwise I would be very upset.:fie:

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

I am at a loss as although  I can hear your wonderful commentary  there is no moving pictures.

So whilst I can follow your efforts I cannot see them.

Is this the north south digital divide?

Ian

Hi Ian, Not quite sure what you mean, I think everyone else can watch the Videos O.K. if that is what you mean.

I can't see any reason for not to work.

• Like 1

On 12/08/2021 at 18:06, Andrew P said:

Thanks Trevor, I hope these Videos are worth while, because they are time consuming, although I had a lot of very favourable comments on You Tube from the first one which was nice.

They are very worthwhile. It's always useful to see how others do things, to learn faster/better ways to do things. Plus it's interesting to see how you're progressing. Seven Mills, and now Bute Road, is always the first thing I look at when I log on, even before my emails; I look forward to it, keep up the good work.  All the Best, Trevor

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shedman said:

They are very worthwhile. It's always useful to see how others do things, to learn faster/better ways to do things. Plus it's interesting to see how you're progressing. Seven Mills, and now Bute Road, is always the first thing I look at when I log on, even before my emails; I look forward to it, keep up the good work.  All the Best, Trevor

Cheers Trevor, I'll be starting No 3 today I expect, to get it ready for next Friday.

• Like 1