Third Party insurance for model railway clubs

RAYTHEROCK

Our small group in Headcorn used to meet pre-covid two Saturday mornings a month in the local Baptist church hall. New management is now insisting we have our own third party insurance. I know from experience with our much larger local history society that few insurers are now prepared to offer this at a reasonable rate - too much paperwork for too little I suppose.  We solved that by insuring through a national  "umbrella" group and I would be interested to hear how other societies and clubs have faced up to and dealt with this problem.

Ray Sadler

• RMweb Premium

The Yorkshire Area Group of the N Gauge Society use magnet. As well as 3rd party cover, we're also covered for loss/damage of models whilst at group meetings and at exhibitions (from the point they leave home from what I remember).

CMRA provide a way of getting a discount of around 10% to magnet customers - most national clubs/societies are members (e.g. EM Gauge Soc, 2mmSA, NGS, 3mm Soc, MERG). If you're a member of a CMRA Associate group then you'll qualify for the discount.

There are a number of insurers who will provide third party insurance for clubs & societies for around £60-80 per year, but without the cover for your models & tools etc. A quick Google search finds plenty, otherwise try contacting a local insurance broker or find out who other users of the church hall are using.

Steven B.