Fochriw (formally Mynydd Du)

Re6/6

• RMweb Premium

A fascinating idea for a layout and very nice to see somebody going off the beaten track with their thinking.

I have been considering something I can do as a "quicky" to keep me busy during a lack of enthusiasm for other projects.

Seeing what you are up to has fired up my enthusiasm for getting started.

I have 2 baseboards, each 4ft by 1ft, just crying out to be used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your kind comments.

My 'application' isn't what it was and I soon tire of the current project, hence this!

Scenics is my great interest so 'bleak' will be a challenge!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This SEF/Wills U1 (TVR) was recently acquired. To my surprise it had been very nicely soldered together. The heavily hand painted maroon 'livery' (why?) will be removed,  buffers and handrails replaced. The original thinking was to build a chassis from AG frames but the HD R1 chassis runs and crawls like a Swiss watch so I am tempted to just re-wheel it with Ultrascales although the centre wheel position is not quite right but I can probably live with that in my dotage!

20210529_171854.jpg.2dca4f380bf95df79f91ee02286d205b.jpg

20210529_171854.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 10

This looks a smashing layout project.

Regarding the U1 are you planning putting it into a colliery livery as a sold on example? If I recall correctly they were passenger locos and had all gone from TVR/GWR by the mid 20s.  The similar smaller wheeled mineral 02 and O3 lasted longer.

I will be following developments with interest.

Ref our conversation earlier, I do like the thought of repurposing some of the Ratio coaches to per those shown in the Tondu Valleys photograph.

This could be a lovely little layout.

G

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks old chap!

This is what I had in mind. I built these from Ratio kits for CK's South Polden Light Railway (Bleakhouse Road) in a 'distressed and mouldy' condition.

Restored!

1119279300_SPLR1.jpg.b503efc19fea7d1bbd2f261560b05f1f.jpg

410933440_SPLR2.jpg.bb1231fb17d390f08c7ba91ccc2d81f0.jpg

439917991_SPLR3.jpg.7ab69368a3fbb20f450a66aabac62f56.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Well......this looks rather jolly. 

Watching with some interest. 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Darwinian said:

This looks a smashing layout project.

Regarding the U1 are you planning putting it into a colliery livery as a sold on example? If I recall correctly they were passenger locos and had all gone from TVR/GWR by the mid 20s.  The similar smaller wheeled mineral 02 and O3 lasted longer.

I will be following developments with interest.

Yet to be decided. Rule 1 will probably apply! Russell will be studied!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

New engine for Mynydd. The Rhymney Railway R class was built by Andrew Howlet and is awaiting numbering and heavy weathering by CK.

20210831_151713.jpg.9a2066686948b085a9f9042e47c255a5.jpg

20210831_150937.jpg.3c2da523625276a598d26992b061c669.jpg

That's very nice. Will we be seeing some 56xx, John? 

R

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I get bored easily Neil!

If that sheep bloke can do it, so can I!

On a more serious note, Marsh Sidings is not too far from completion but it's the last 20% to do that I find the most difficult...attention span at my age and all that! There are a load of scenics to finish off but with the first showing at the end of the month attention has had to be focussed!

Book duly ordered

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Re6/6 said:

..... On a more serious note, Marsh Sidings is not too far from completion but it's the last 20% to do that I find the most difficult...attention span at my age and all that! ....

I find that the last push to completion the hardest to do too. Weird as all that I consider to be hard work has been done by then. I wonder if in my case it's something to do with getting a bit complacent and taking my foot off the gas or perhaps it's the thought of the next interesting project to tackle?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

I really don't know why I don't have a copy of this book as well, so I have taken steps to rectify the situation!

Thanks for the tip, Neil.

It's a lovely book, CK.

One of my all time favourites. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/09/2021 at 14:40, Neil said:

Another layout John. You seem to have some sort of finescale production line going. If you like bleak, down at heal Welsh colliery lines then I can recommend 'Visions of Steam - Peter Cavalier and Geoff Silcock - OPC' it's full of fabulously atmospheric photos.

Duly acquired! Thanks for the recommendation Neil. Wonderful pictures in there. I wish that I could model those up and down 'thruppeny bit' curves unfortunately it doesn't work in P4 (it probably would if one was skilful enough!)

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

I wish that I could model those up and down 'thruppeny bit' curves unfortunately it doesn't work in P4 (it probably would if one was skilful enough!)

I'd have thought P4 was the best option, as the wagons all have compensation/suspension... ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I'd have thought P4 was the best option, as the wagons all have compensation/suspension... ;)

Perhaps so, but Kernow Governmental scientists, working for long hours in white coats over many years in well equipped laboratories, have concluded that it is the rigid and non-compensated wagons (but properly weighted) that hold the track better, as compared to those with compensation or suspension.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5