Fochriw (formally Mynydd Du)

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

A good evening of running on DRAG's test track was held this week..

These 16t minerals have been converted and weathered by CK for use on 'Fochriw' and 'Marsh Sidings' They are a mixture of Airfix, Bachmann and Parkside. They all weigh around 40g with a lead floor added and fitted with three link couplings which have the bottom link of steel to facilitate magnetic' hand in the sky' coupling. All freight stock will now be thus fitted. All locos will have screw couplings with steel bottom links. 

Also on here is a successful test run at speed in reverse of Brinkly's wagons.

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Indeed Neil, the stock was being tested for 'Lisanno' an FS layout set in the 60s and 70s.

I'm starting a thread in a while on the building of the layout by Rod (10800) and me. It's inspired by bgman's planned layout that he had only just started before his death.

We have acquired a fair selection of 50s and 60s stock in the Isabella/Castano brown. We particularly like the articulated E636 type so watch that space in 'overseas railways' after I've posted something!

E636-010termini-imerese1999-04-04.jpg.248cca07d6d17b45aecb9f4ac4507aaa.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

Indeed Neil, the stock was being tested for 'Lisanno' an FS layout set in the 60s and 70s.

I'm starting a thread in a while on the building of the layout by Rod (10800) and me. It's inspired by bgman's planned layout that he had only just started before his death.

We have acquired a fair selection of 50s and 60s stock in the Isabella/Castano brown. We particularly like the articulated E636 type so watch that space in 'overseas railways' after I've posted something!

E636-010termini-imerese1999-04-04.jpg.248cca07d6d17b45aecb9f4ac4507aaa.jpg

Please let us know where to find the thread, any chance of a link?

Martyn 

Edited by mullie

• RMweb Gold

Martyn, there isn't one yet as it's still in preparation. Other stuff keeps getting in the way! I'll post a link on this thread when it's up.

Here's something to be going on with....!

Some of Grahame's lovely scratchbuilt Italian buildings which inspired us to progress with his work.

122060676_Lisanno3.jpg.531b01bfdc0db1cf867cdb5d88372237.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Now that is a brutal looking loco, love it👍

The Italians apparently quite like brutal locos. I think that this is from 1934, when my Dad was passing through Italy on his pilgrimage to the Holy Land, but it may not have been taken by him. It was loose among photos in a box accompanying his railway albums which I inherited.

weird & wonderful continental steam loco shadow imp.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, phil_sutters said:

The Italians apparently quite like brutal locos. I think that this is from 1934, when my Dad was passing through Italy on his pilgrimage to the Holy Land, but it may not have been taken by him. It was loose among photos in a box accompanying his railway albums which I inherited.

And people say Steam Punk is just fantasy!😆

Roja

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

A Crosti-boilered locomotive in its native setting

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The 'eclectic electric' looks like it's a three-phase.  We did have one but didn't fancy all that complex 'multi catenary knitting'! We do have a Crosti loco!

I must get the Italian thread started before this stuff gets out of hand on a Welsh colliery layout thread!

Now started!  https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/175964-lisanno-a-layout-in-memoriam-of-the-late-bgman/#comment-5012333

Edited by Re6/6
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Oh this looks right up my street! Looking forward to seeing the miners trains, I’ve held off doing one for Cwmhir.

Must sort out the Rhymney style signals first.Then there’s a GWR rebuilt Taff A class in the to do box and .........

• Like 4

You need to capture that, ‘it’s raining look’.  I can never remember driving up the Deri valley when it was not raining or going to rain.  Desolate and desperate is the look you need, a forgotten landscape.  Will be looking forward to it.  I have a similar project on the go, further along the Heads of the Valleys.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Work on Fochriw has paused in order to 'completely' finish 'Parkend Marsh Sidings' ready for the S4 society AGM and Wells...not to mention 'Balcombe' which is due out next year so enough work for now!

There has been a new arrival in the shape of a 56xx.

Having just seen Al's new 'N' small terminus has made me think about building something similar for my Swiss and Austrian 'N' stock to play with! ..Yet another crackpot idea.....!

20230504_120704.jpg.885d4f61a56d14012d99c4f0648cf8f5.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...

hello - sorry to jump in with a question but the title of this thread caught my eye.  I am starting to build a model of Fochriw station, in B&M days.  if anyone has any photos of the goods shed or back of the station then please can they let me know - happy to be contacted outside of thiis thread, either by direct message or on the post i have placed on Railways of Wales, rather then disrupt this flow.

Thank you.

Edited by Timber

• RMweb Gold

Somehow I seem to have missed this thread but glad that I have found it now. It looks like a project that appeals to my interests.

Brian

Edited by 88C
Grammar
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Timber said:

hello - sorry to jump in with a question but the title of this thread caught my eye.  I am starting to build a model of Fochriw station, in B&M days.  if anyone has any photos of the goods shed or back of the station then please can they let me know - happy to be contacted outside of thiis thread, either by direct message or on the post i have placed on Railways of Wales, rather then disrupt this flow.

Thank you.

I take it you have 'Brecon & Merthyr', Vol.2, by John Hodge (Pen & Sword Publications)?

• Thanks 1

yes - excellent book...and some great photos....but nothing on the goods shed (other than one distant distance of part of the front)  or what the rear of the station looked like....I can guess on the station rear but the goods shed was a prominent structure and i need to get this right.

Edited by Timber