Tam Elektronik FD-R Basic 3 Baustein

wilwahabri

I have used Tams Elektronik Basic 2 decoders for some time in trailing cars for directional lighting, however Basic 2 seems to have been or is being replaced by Basic 3 (Baustein) which has an additional auxy output and an input compred to Basic 2.

As yet there are no JMRI definitions for this decoder, the latest being Basic 2.

There do appear to be some differences It appears that basic 2 used aux 1 and 3 for front and rear lighting and Basic 3 uses Aux 1 and 2.

Where can I get an updated definition file for JMRI? or indeed how do I go about constructing one?

3 hours ago, wilwahabri said:

Where can I get an updated definition file for JMRI? or indeed how do I go about constructing one?

Write it yourself, and at least you're heading the right way with the second part of your question...

Start by finding the XML file for the old "basic 2" you mention, which will be somewhere in the "xml/decoders/" in the JMRI installation on your machine.  Copy the file from there, to your user area (on Windows that's something like  "c:\user\yourname\JMRI\yourJMRIprofilename\decoders"), then rename the copied file to something appropriate to the new decoder.

Edit the copied file with a text editor (I use Notepad++ under Windows), being sure to keep to XML syntax which is very fussy.   You can test the file in JMRI with various tools on the menus, such as validating the XML.   Once happy, you can import the file with "rebuild decoder index" (this takes quite a while to run, do it with the JMRI "system console" open to report any errors).   If it works without errors, you can now use it, and continue to edit tweaking things as you go.    There may be some details in the file where you want to take advice over changes.  

When its working properly, follow the instructions on the JMRI website about contributing decoder files, add it as an "issue" on GitHub, and someone will pick it up and put it into the next distribution.   

G'day Nigel, Self help it is then! It would appear that I need to take a crash course in XML. Any advice where to start with learning enough XML to do this? 

Where is the full decoder spec available? presumably from the makers? Is the list of CVs given with the decoder all I need?

Best regards

bill

For an upgraded decoder (which is what this sounds like), I'd start from the maker's CV list for the old and new.  Highlight the changes so you know what you're looking at.  

XML.  Don't know what other experience you have, if you can do HTML (webpages) its not too big a jump, just more pedantic over errors.  The main issue is correctly ending variables, either with a <myvariable>somestuff</myvariable> or <myvariable parameter="1"/> .   Note the slash in those to end things, the first has separate "starting" and "ending" statements, the second has the end inside the statement with the trailing slash.   

Look at the old file, and see if you can find where it describes a CV of interest.   See if you can work out the changes to make it correct for the new.   From what you've said, I think its going to be a handful of changes.   

- Nigel