Plausible train for Fairford branch, 1930s

Hi all,

I have been modelling Bampton, on the GWR Fairford branch for a few years. Nothing very spectacular, but keeps me out of trouble. I have been running it using mainly rtr stock, which inevitably puts me firmly in the 1950s or 60s (because that's when 57xx Panniers and cascaded Collet/Hawksworth carriage designs of the 30s/40s were the order of the day).

But recently, and after a few years of doing a bit of "real" modelling (with an actual soldering iron, no less!) my mind turned to backdating the layout to the 1930s. (I figured the Edwardian period was probably beyond me because whilst I am fairly certain I could build an etched brass carriage kit, I doubt I could paint and line it to the standard of modern rtr!)

So, apologies for the convoluted post, but could anyone suggest a likely carriage formation for a Fairford branch train in the 1930s? I'm guessing we're talking cascaded stock from earlier times? Was the GWR the sort of railway that would form a set for a specific branch and just work it back and forth for years, if not decades? And the obvious follow on to that- are there any suitable kits out there that are still easily available in 2021?

Thanks guys!

Will

• RMweb Premium

I would suggest you get a copy of the Middleton book of the branch, it’s got some great photos of the branch.

Im afraid mines not to hand at the moment.

Many years ago I toyed with the idea of building Fairford, but wanted a bigger terminus, hence Henley on Thames. 

Have a look at Colour Rail and also the Transport Treasury. Additionally try the guys at the GWS at Didcot, they are likely to have further details.

Good luck, it will be great to see it develop.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Some good leads there. I remember looking at the Middleton book when I built the layout years ago, but being a skinflint I borrowed it from the local library in Witney! I was modelling the 1950s at the time so I barely noticed earlier period pictures, less so the rolling stock on the line. 

Will

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi,

London Division Local carriage working programme July 1935 gives the Fairford branch two sets, each of three 8 wh non corridor stock ie Van Third, Compo, Van Third.  It notes there is an extra Third some times and milk trucks in the evening.  

The mid war programme says B set and Third as well as coaches off a Paddinton mainline train in the evening and extra thirds on Sunday.

You can find some CWP online. In other threads it has been pointed out that CWP were only part of the picture with notices often altering the standard timetable and workings.    

Regards, Paul

• Informative/Useful 2

On 16/08/2021 at 10:02, GWR_Modeller said:

Hi,

London Division Local carriage working programme July 1935 gives the Fairford branch two sets, each of three 8 wh non corridor stock ie Van Third, Compo, Van Third.  It notes there is an extra Third some times and milk trucks in the evening.  

The mid war programme says B set and Third as well as coaches off a Paddinton mainline train in the evening and extra thirds on Sunday.

You can find some CWP online. In other threads it has been pointed out that CWP were only part of the picture with notices often altering the standard timetable and workings.    

Regards, Paul

Paul that's incredibly useful, and correlates really well to the small number of photos from this period (when the branch was worked by Metro tanks). It also gives me a ballpark terminus post quem for the introduction of the B-set which appears in photos as strengthened with a Churchward corridor toplight. I now guess that could be the through coach to Paddington?

Now all I need is to find a way of building a 'Large' Metro tank as all the kits available today are for the small variety!

Will

Hi,

Both Fairford branch sets were recorded in 1944 CWP prog as B set and Third.

The Paddington set was Brake Compo, Third 70', Two Compos, Van Third

7.40pm Padd to Birmingham, detach at Oxford

10.15pm Oxford to Fairford (SX)

6.55am Fairford to Oxford (MX)

8.40 am Oxford dep ( att to 6.30am Worcs to Padd) due Padd 10.2am.

Reading the prog closely I now think only two sets spent the night at Fairford, ie a B set and Third and either the other B set and Third (on Sat Sun) or the Padd set.

Sorry, I do not know about boards.

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There is also the Amberley book by Stanley C. Jenkins, The Witney & Fairford Branch through time.  That has a number of interwar period photos but it is hard to distinguish the stock. The book is much hotter on the buildings.

This is Dad's only photo of the branch

The Witney & Fairford Branch book cover.jpg

GWR 2-4-0T 3564 Cassington Halt 27 1 1939 3000px.jpg

• Like 4

That would appear to be a non-corridor London area 4-set which, IIRC, were broken up during the war years following the abolition of 1st class on London area suburban trains, but would have still been in their normal formation in 1939.

There were 4-sets in the Birmingham area too and it seems possible that they might have worked down as far as Oxford, with the Fairford branch as a fill in turn.

• Like 1

On 06/09/2021 at 15:33, phil_sutters said:

GWR 2-4-0T 3564 Cassington Halt 27 1 1939 3000px.jpg

On 06/09/2021 at 21:16, bécasse said:

That would appear to be a non-corridor London area 4-set which, IIRC, were broken up during the war years following the abolition of 1st class on London area suburban trains, but would have still been in their normal formation in 1939.

There were 4-sets in the Birmingham area too and it seems possible that they might have worked down as far as Oxford, with the Fairford branch as a fill in turn.

Thanks both for responding. Excellent photograph! Shame you can't see the carriage end behind the Metro's cab as I think the suburban sets were numbered and named according to their region- "Birmingham Division No x". When was 1st class abolished in London as the date of this photograph is pre-war (just!).

There is a reference in the Jenkins book to stock being worked up the Fairford branch simply to clear the Oxford carriage sidings, but I don't know how plausible that sounds. It only makes sense if it was done to strengthen the usual set, otherwise there would be no net gain in siding capacity. 

And assuming they are standard D98/ E131 carriages, I can do an accurate Fairford branch train using ready-to-run carriages!

Will

Edited by Forward!