Lens advice sought

Suffolk Dave

While I'm not new to using a camera, I am a novice when it comes to photographing layouts and models. So far my attempts have been with a compact camera and the results have been mixed. My preference would be to use my Nikon DSLR and I'd like to attempt focus stacking - something else I've not tried before.

However, I am puzzling over what type of macro lens I'd need for my full frame Nikon. The majority seem to be of a focal length around 100mm but they do vary. Any help or advice in selecting an appropriate lens would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

• RMweb Gold

The cheap and easy solution, particularly right now with the market down, would be a manual focus 55mm Micro-Nikkor. Available in f3.5 or later f2.8 versions, and stopping down to f32. This gives a normal perspective, and with focus stacking you should get great results. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The cheap and easy solution, particularly right now with the market down, would be a manual focus 55mm Micro-Nikkor. Available in f3.5 or later f2.8 versions, and stopping down to f32. This gives a normal perspective, and with focus stacking you should get great results. 

This sounds an interesting option and right up my siding as I quite like shooting in manual :D 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I took Ian's advice and bought the Nikkor 55mm f2.8. I got the lens from the popular auction site we all know well and I'm rather impressed with it - the lens that is not the auction site!  It works well on my Nikon DSLR. 

Here is an example taken with it and, for good measure, it's also my first 'focus stacked' image curtesy of Photoshop. It's taken on my work in progress shunting plank; an inglenook shunting puzzle inspired by 1930's LNER in Hull

1145870523_PC1276Small.jpg.e8f6c34bb8a788d6531d1da5125794aa.jpg

PC 1276 Small discovers some crucial evidence towards the investigation of a spate of bicycle thefts on his beat. 

• Like 3