Soundtraxx Econami decoder problem

PhilH

• RMweb Gold

Due to interest from my grandchildren I have started to resurrect my US themed trainset. It hasn't been used in  couple of years, basically I left everything as was, some locos and stock left on track, just turned it all off and walked away from it. All locos, steam and diesel, are sound equipped. Upon turning it on everything was understandably somewhat reluctant to play ball, so I'm going to investigate the locos one by one.

First up is a Proto 2000 0-6-0 steam switcher fitted with a Soundtraxx Econami decoder. I've done a reset on the programming track and it has come back back to life, all functions work, runs smoothly, except when I enter a throttle value above about 20 in 128 speed steps, 5 in 28, it seems to turn itself off and instantly restart about every half or so wheel revolution.

If anyone has any ideas what could be causing this I would be very grateful to hear them as when I left it it was a very good running and sounding model.

Edited by PhilH

First thought is a mis-match of speed steps between throttle and loco.   If the throttle is sending 14 step, and the loco expecting 28/128 things can go wrong, and ditto the other way round.   So, check both your throttle/system are set to 28 (or 128) step, and that the decoder is set to 28/128 in CV29.  

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the reply, yes they seem to be. I have garnered fresh information on this problem. 6 locomotives were left on the layout, three with Econami decoders, two Broadway Limited with as fitted decoders and one A.N. other. Only the Econami decoders, all of them, have the outlined problem, the others are fine.