To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

Decision Point - getting something moving.

Lacathedrale

• RMweb Premium

Since I'm mentioned above I thought I should chip in. I model in S Scale (a brilliant scale by the way and I can't imagine going back to 2mm or 4mm again).

I think it's important to remember that there are basically two approaches to modelling in most scales. The first is one where you use what are termed finescale standards - these usually need sprung or compensated chassis.

The second one, which I've adopted because I don't want to go down that route is a pragmatic one which I know I can achieve given my skill level/ lack of anything approaching a workshop. Everything on my layout has been built on a slightly strengthened card table.

Using wheels with slightly more forgiving profiles - e.g. Alan Gibson EM gauge flanges or Markits - I do not need to compensate my loco chassis.

If you look at my website "blog" you'll see that there are a 2-4-0, a 0-4-4Ts, an  outside framed 0-6-0, a 0-8-0 and a 2-6-2T all built using the simplest of chassis - in many cases I have even cut the metal for the frames using heavy duty scissors rather than using a piercing saw. They run well and didn't take that long to build. Obviously they won't be able to run on a layout where the track is constructed for finescale wheels but I doubt I will ever want to do that. http://www.steverabone.com/sscalewebsite/indexpage.htm

There is a mention in a previous post of using tender drive units based on the old Airfix Fowler 4Fs and Royal Scot models - these are still available quite cheaply on Ebay. I've now started using these for more modern locos. The ones in the photo are intended for two German outline electrics - an E44 Bo-Bo and the one on the right is for a small 4 wheel loco used on the Oberamergau branch. They use Alan Gibson wheels on S Scale 1/16th axles but could also use Markits disc wheels.

2097354268_motorbogies.jpg.6672675fa323d3df38e077d5f998a05c.jpg

Now all I'm really saying is try a simple approach to make a start in S Scale and if you want to upgrade to a more demanding type of modelling do that later.

Edited by steverabone
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1