Class 59 from Revolution Trains

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jamespetts said:

Westbury?

Hi all,

Some good suggestions, but also worth bearing in mind that big locomotives on heavy stone trains doesn't necessarily imply huge quarries and massive terminals for the modeller.

How about  the Day Aggregates terminal at Newhaven?  Traffic in Ealnos JNA box wagons, conveniently...

59004 at Newhaven Day Aggregate ready to work 7V00 Newhaven Day Aggregates to Acton Yard 13/08/18.

We also happen to be offering the Southern 313 to go with it... 

313212 passes 59004 at Newhaven Day Aggregate ready to work 7V00 Newhaven Day Aggregates to Acton Yard 13/08/18.

Another smaller teminal that looks very modellable is Botley, where there is a stone loading site adjacent to the station.

59202 7V44 Botley-Merehead

The aggregate is taken over the running lines in a conveyor, so the main terminal could be offscene, or in half relief.  This is the view looking toward the station:

Botley   59103 " Village of Mells "

And the terminal has been operating for a long time,  meaning pretty much every 59 has probably visited at some time or another...

BR  59001

Not strictly relevant but you could go back even further in time...

BR592 D1005 @ Botley 6-76

Passenger traffic, once in the hands of 4-CIGs etc, now mostly Class 450s, soon available from Farish:

450 123

Actually, could everyone please ignore this post as I think I have just found the inspiration for my next layout...

cheers

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

Fareham is also a good terminal to get inspiration from, a very small terminal around the back of the station car park, one siding that is reversed into and unloaded by mechanical grab, you can (and i speak from experiance) just about do a U turn in an articulated tipper in there, just to give you some idea how compact it is.

As for the model 59, Revolution please im begging you upscale it to OO gauge, my patience with Dapol has pretty much expired, i have a rake of 18 of your Mendip Rail JNAs sat here, a rake of 15 of Accurascale ARC tipplers and when your Mendip HOAs finally materialise (any news on them?) i will also buy a rake...... but i have sweet FA 59 shaped to put on the front, at the moment they just see use behind a Hattons FL 66 and Hornby class 60.

Please make a OO gauge version!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 15/08/2021 at 20:50, JR_P said:

I also wanted the MRL version - I got clarification from Ben that it was not being offered in this initial batch - I think the livery diagrams showed all potential liveries, but not all liveries being offered.... possibly a retailer exclusive....

But like you, I decided Hanson and Agg Ind fit the bill, so that’s what I went with.... both :D !.... do it, you know you want to ;) !

Thanks JR_P

Looks like it is removed from the announcement now.

You are right I do want both or 4 or 5 different versions but have to make a call somewhere.

It'll have to be a Hanson I think.

I'll just have to wait until RevolutioN release the MRL version

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/08/2021 at 16:55, Revolution Ben said:

Passenger traffic, once in the hands of 4-CIGs etc, now mostly Class 450s, soon available from Farish:

450 123

If you're going back as far as a the Western, it would have be a Thumper. No juice rails back then.

Now there is a project in the waiting, hint, hint.....

• Agree 1

On 12/08/2021 at 17:06, Revolution Ben said:

Hi Justin,

Over the coming days we are planning to upload more information about the various options etc to our website.  In terms of liveries, what date or livery are you interested?  I have documented the changes/dates.

cheers

Ben A.

Looking forward to that Ben. I agree with Justin, those diagrams you guys do showing different train formations over the life of the loco/wagon are both very interesting and very useful.

If you find any workings between 95 and 99 on the southern section of the wcml I'd be very interested, but I also appreciate that you guys already go above and beyond to bring us all the wonderful models revolution is churning out, so no problem if you don't find anything. I must admit I don't have any idea if there has ever been anything other than the ARC Merehead Quarry to Purfleet working that was posted at Willesden Junction on the previous page, but at least knowing exactly which wagons were used in that working would help if anyone is more knowledgeable than me:), every time I think I've found the right wagon I find the said wagons entered service after that photo was taken :read::scratchhead:.

All the best,

Dave 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Merehead Quarry to Purfleet working that was posted at Willesden Junction on the previous page, but at least knowing exactly which wagons were used in that working would help if anyone is more knowledgeable than me:), every time I think I've found the right wagon I find the said wagons entered service after that photo was taken

Hi Dave,

The photo at Willesden is a mix. The lower (and darker / grubbier) type are the PTA/ JTA / JUA available from the NGS, and done in 4mm by Accurascale. The silver (and slightly taller) wagons in the mix are the O&K JYAs (built as PHAs) and not available from anyone at present.

Jo

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

On one of our research trips Mike and I recorded some video content which has now been cut together into a short explainer/information/details/discussion with some music and footage of the real things.

If you have a spare five minutes feel free to have a watch either via the News update on our website or on our YouTube channel here: 

I have also added a little more information about the period covered by each livery to the original news article.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Nice catch with 'Beautiful' and 'sometimes' at the beginning of the video, you just need 'You are' to complete the set (it's on your type of HOA, too!).

Jo

I think we need decals!  Who could do those I wonder?

cheers

• Funny 1

The Berks and Hants route is the bread and butter for the class 59s. I found some 59 pictures from 2012 whilst I was looking for something else, so stuck them on Flickr earlier tonight, so click them to see them bigger if you want. I know this area like the back of my hand and think it'd make an absolutely brilliant layout concept for 59s and long trains interspersed by HSTs.

Let's fire up the time machine! 

59004 7A09 Crofton

59004 'Paul A Hammond' leads 7A09 past Crofton, a nice matching set of Yeoman hoppers behind one of the Yeoman 59s.

59204 7C31 Little Bedwyn

Still carrying EWS colours, 59204 'Vale of Glamorgan' leads 7C31 Theale - Merehead past Little Bedwyn

59002 + 59001 7C77 Wolfhall

59002 'Alan J Day' still carrying the revised Foster Yeoman colours is paired with Aggregate Industries coloured 59001 'Yeoman Endeavour' at the head of 7C77 Acton - Merehead, seen at Wolfhall.

59101 6V18 Wolfhall

59101 'Village of Whatley' rounds the curve at Wolfhall working 6V18 Hither Green - Whatley.

59202 6A83 Wolfhall

59202 'Vale of White Horse' has just crested the summit at Savernake as it heads 6A83 Avonmouth - West Drayton past Wolfhall. It wasn't long after the the loco would lose its EWS colours for a fresh coat of DB Schenker red.

Two years later, on to 2014.

59203 6M20 Wootton Rivers

DB Schenker red 59203 passes Wootton Rivers with a mix of HOAs, IIAs and RMC JGAs in tow on 6M20 Whatley - St Pancras.

Finally, this shows the differences on the roof between 59005 and the other 59/0s, as featured on the Revolution model. There's also some smaller differences that have also been included on the model.

59005 + 59001 7A17 Wootton Rivers

59005 'Kenneth J Painter' leads 59001 'Yeoman Endeavour' past Wootton Rivers with 7A17 Merehead - Acton. For a short period, this train regularly had the Bardon JGAs in the consist, along with the regular Yeoman / Mendip types.

Jo

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 03/09/2021 at 22:38, Calnefoxile said:

Well that's 59001 ordered for myself.

It just about squeezes into my era to pull my PGA's

Regards

Neal.

Which PGAs are those Neal? A good N-gauge model of the Yeoman type is desperately needed (at least by me!). I've been on about this for years now. As I've pointed out before, haulage could also be by classes 37, 47, 52, 56 and probably some others. Hopefully Revolution will agree!

13 minutes ago, Crepello said:

Which PGAs are those Neal? A good N-gauge model of the Yeoman type is desperately needed (at least by me!). I've been on about this for years now. As I've pointed out before, haulage could also be by classes 37, 47, 52, 56 and probably some others. Hopefully Revolution will agree!

Unfortunately Farish Yeoman ones. Cavalex aren't doing the Yeoman ones just yet.

I have a rake of Farish Redland ones as well, so a decision needs to be made as to whether I sell them and try and replace them with Cavalex ones :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Cheers

Neal. 

35 minutes ago, Crepello said:

A good N-gauge model of the Yeoman type is desperately needed (at least by me!). 

The 'Yeoman type'. Which one? There are lots of different Yeoman ones... at least 11 different batches were operated by FY.

Guy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, lyneux said:

The 'Yeoman type'. Which one? There are lots of different Yeoman ones... at least 11 different batches were operated by FY.

Guy

Any one will do!

On 03/09/2021 at 22:38, Calnefoxile said:

Well that's 59001 ordered for myself.

It just about squeezes into my era to pull my PGA's

Regards

Neal.

22 hours ago, lyneux said:

They fall into two basic types, the 1970s 'integral' type (like Lima did in 00) and the 1980s 'conventional' type (like Hornby did in 00 and like the old Farish  N, though  with inapproprate laddering).

Lots of progressive differences, particularly in the integrals. It wouldn't be unusual to find six or more different looking sub-groups types in a Yeoman train. ARC also had similar PGAs, though not the very earliest intergals; they were only in the Yeoman fleet.

• RMweb Premium

A PTA (JTA/JUA) tippler wagon would be much less fraught with detail differences than the different PGA diagrams!

Neither the Rails/Cavalex PGA or the Revolution class 59s are suitable for Peak Forest/Yorkshire Dales workings so I can't justify either for my NW England based modelling. That doesn't explain why I have a 59 on order though....

Steven B.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well that's an order for 59001 in original livery placed. Definitely a Rule 1 for my location (NW England), but I I remember one of our school Rail Soc trips specifically including time around Westbury back in 1986 to see if we could see some of these fantastic new machines. Happy memories!

13 hours ago, Steven B said:

A PTA (JTA/JUA) tippler wagon would be much less fraught with detail differences than the different PGA diagrams!

Neither the Rails/Cavalex PGA or the Revolution class 59s are suitable for Peak Forest/Yorkshire Dales workings so I can't justify either for my NW England based modelling. That doesn't explain why I have a 59 on order though....

Steven B.

If it's any help, but probably not for the bank balance! National Power and EWS liveried 59's worked Peak Forest to Manchester Airport stone trains in the mid to late nineties

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Steven B said:

Steven B.

Hi Steven,

I am not sure of your cut-off period but certainly the 59/2s worked Tunstead-Drax limestone trains from their introduction in 1994 for a few years.

Redland/Lafarge PGAs also made it to Peak Forest though again, I am not sure of the dates (the photo below is from 2011) and the routes they operated.

Redland Lafarge Tarmac PGA Peak Forest May 2011

cheers

Ben A.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Redland/Lafarge PGAs also made it to Peak Forest though again, I am not sure of the dates (the photo below is from 2011) and the routes they operated.

cheers

Ben A.

They also ventured down the Hindlow branch to Briggs Sdgs. There is a picture out there in cyberspace but it eludes me at the moment to link it.

HTH

Scott

• Like 1