Class 59 from Revolution Trains

Revolution Ben

18 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Think I maybe tempted by an ARC or original FY livery.

59104 did make it up the WCML on a loaded trial working very early 90s.

59104 Wandelmill

So this would have passed Dallam, perfect excuse for me lol.

Cheers

Simon

59102 Willesden Jn 23-12-96

That looks like a good excuse for the northern stretch Simon, you'll have yet another excuse for an early 90s running day :).

I've spent the lunch break trying to find an excuse for the southern end. Looks like this Merehead Quarry to Purfleet working is just the thing. Not sure of the exact route but it's here at Willesden Junction (photo found on Flickr, not mine) and that's more than good enough for me. 

All the best,

Dave 

• Like 2

This was certainly a surprise and as much as I told myself to resist a Dapol one if ever released, I think I will take the plunge on a RevolutioN one. I am happy to continue supporting RevolutioN given the quality they are bringing to our hobby.

I like both the original Yeoman and ARC versions, but 59001 or 002 in original Yeoman livery is probably going to be my choice.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Order placed for 59104 along with a pair of YLAs. Now sat in garden thinking of a layout based around class 59s, class 56s and HSTs!

Cheers

Simon

Somewhere on the Berks & Hants  or mybe that is a bit obvious ;-)

Scott

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As it stands, this is currently only duplication on paper - until I see models, then there is no duplication.... I am 100% confident the Revolution 59 will appear in fairly short order.... whether the Dapol 59 eventually materialises I am somewhat less confident of....

Regardless of whether a duplication does eventually transpire, I am sold on the Revolution 59 - I know Ben and Mike will have done the ‘hard yards’ getting this model spot-on.

Moreover, the [early bird] price point is really competitive for brand new modern standards tooling.... plus free postage - what’s not to love about that :D ?!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, JR_P said:

.... whether the Dapol 59 eventually materialises I am somewhat less confident of....

Hi,

Posted by Joel on the Dapol Digest in response to my query:

Hello Gerry, yes a bit unfortunate but we are already committed and have numerous special commissions already on order. We are expecting the first shots in a couple of months, so no turning back. I am sure the RT model will be good, but equally I am confident ours will also pass muster and I guess customers can make their own mind up. Not great financially for either of us I fear :-(

And additionally:

No problem Gerry, no we are definitely committed to this project.

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/n-gauge-models/diesel/class-59-n-aa/project-managers-blog-aa/349-class-59-opening-post/page2#post9662

Regards, Gerry.

That sounds unfortunately stubborn on the part of Dapol. I can't help but think it would be better to cut their losses. Don't they also have a OO 59 project, so at least the research wouldn't be wasted?

Unless Dapol manage to pull something spectacular out of the bag (feels unlikely based on past performance), or RevolutioN score a spectacular own goal in design or running characteristics (also unlikely based on past performance), then I can only see this going the same way as previous Dapol duplications. 

I suspect there are still some Dapol B1s gracing bargain bins around the country ... Although I guess at least their 66 has been kept viable by their ability to turn around more new liveries much quicker (and more cheaply) than Farish - but that is not such a factor with the small fleet of 59s ...

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

This really is a fantastic release for me, a class that have been at the very centre of both my life as an enthusiast and my professional career. Although it's a little less frequent now, most shifts I am on multiple 59s. When you spend that much time around them you do notice the little detail variations, both in build spec and also in little painted details and weathering like the rust patches.

I've also posted these pictures on the N Gauge Forum, to try and highlight some alternative consists for those that aren't Mendip centric and are perhaps looking for something a little shorter.

Have you always assumed that your 59 needs a lengthy train and a huge layout? Click the pictures to go to Flickr if you want to see them larger.

59205 6C41 Brassknocker

59205 'L. Keith McNair' drifts past Brassknocker with a lightweight 6C41 Newport ADJ - Westbury - formed of just two IOA Mussel wagons.

Three locos, one wagon!

59003 'Yeoman Highlander' waits time in Westbury Down Yard with 6O41 to Eastleigh. 66729 and 66754 were dead in tow after working a ballast train over the weekend and the heavyweight load comprised a sole OCA Bass wagon

59003 Westbury Up Yard

59003 sits atop five autoballasters and 66054, ready to go out with DB operated 6W60 to Bradford Junction the following morning. Hired in through Network Rail due to the booked engine being stuck in Devon at an engineering site, it is lucky that Westbury DB drivers still sign class 59s.Taken during a windy storm with rain blowing straight at the lens, the challenge of a raindrop free night shot and the story behind the train made this worthwhile! 

Morning Marshalling

If someone released a TRM, this would be very modellable. Autos and Osprey from the NGS. 59003 'Yeoman Highlander' sits with the front half of 7O41 for Eastleigh yard. The rear portion was the Ospreys just visible behind the loco. On the odd summer day we get in Britain, it pays to get as much shunting done as you can before it gets too hot!

59203 6W24 Staverton

59203 leads 10 loaded Autoballasters on 6W24 Oxford Hinksey to East Somerset Junction past Staverton, near Trowbridge, on the Melksham single line. The factory in the background is known for making Shreddies, amongst other Nestlé cereals.

59005 6W37 Freshford

Not the best of locations in hindsight, having to dodge the shadows, but the only picture I have of a Mendip 59 on an engineer's working. 59005 'Kenneth J Painter' passes Freshford working 6W37 back to Westbury with a train of Falcons in tow.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 8

Really useful post Jo,

I’ve been trying to work out which model to order as Rugby doesn’t see many 59s on aggregate trains.

I’d like the Hanson liveried version as it’s quite striking and visually different to the standard 66s in EWS and DB liveries but had assumed only those and the GBRF one would be suitable for my layout. Seeing an aggregate industries 59 on a network rail train means I can probably get away with a Hanson one on a NR train. They might never have done so, but they ‘could have’ so that’s good enough for me!

David

19 minutes ago, bmthtrains - David said:

Seeing an aggregate industries 59 on a network rail train means I can probably get away with a Hanson one on a NR train.

Hi David,

The 8 Mendip locos were used as a common pool (and later the red 59s too) and could often turn up on a weekend ballast working out of Westbury or Hinksey for EWS/ DB, so a Hanson on a ballast would have happened. It was the mid 2010s this stopped happening.

Of course there's also the charter option, there have been many tours with 59s on them, and quite a few visited the Midlands.

Jo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

In answer to some of the points raised, the reality is that as model railways in general become ever more popular and successful some duplication is inevitable.  With my N gauge enthusiast hat on, this is a good thing as it shows that N is vibrant and healthy and it gives consumers more choice.

Let's remember too that as has been pointed out the 59s are long lived, historic locomotives and pioneering locomotives that are also the antecedent of the dominant locomotive in Britain now.

When we were looking at options for our next N gauge locomotive after the 92, the 59 was an obvious choice as no mass market model had been produced.  And given where we are now in terms of development it would make no sense to change our plans now. 

Bear in mind too that some are reluctant to pre-order, so while there may be some Revolution 59s available at MSRP once we have closed pre-orders, they probably won't be around for long and another model, working to a more traditional production route, may well satisfy that market.

cheers

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

I get the impression I'm not the only one here who is keen to pre-order a 59, but can't decide between the various livery options.

I remember when RevolutioN introduced the TEA tankers, and also the 321s, there were some really neat diagrams of services operated and typical routes for the different liveries. I'd really appreciate something like that for the 59s.

It look quite a lot of Google detective work to determine that (at least one) Yeoman loco was repainted into the revised livery in 1998. Some more info on dates that the liveries depicted appeared, as perhaps some characteristic routes, would be really helpful.

I have fond memories of the Yeoman and ARC liveries mainly through the LIMA OO models I remember having a kid - although only the wagons - my parents never splashed on the "ugly" LIMA cl.59! I don't think the 59s made any regular appearances in East Anglia in the 80s-90s-early 00s era of those liveries - or did they? How about South London?

Justin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, justin1985 said:

I get the impression I'm not the only one here who is keen to pre-order a 59, but can't decide between the various livery options.

I remember when RevolutioN introduced the TEA tankers, and also the 321s, there were some really neat diagrams of services operated and typical routes for the different liveries. I'd really appreciate something like that for the 59s.

Justin

Hi Justin,

Over the coming days we are planning to upload more information about the various options etc to our website.  In terms of liveries, what date or livery are you interested?  I have documented the changes/dates.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Not really too far Off Topic here..

But, for those who like 59s and lack space I do recall seeing one in the late 90s with just 3 wagons in tow - They may have been TTA type oil tanks.

I only really remember it 'cos at the time it struck me as being a very short train for a very big engine!

Edited by LBRJ
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

Over the coming days we are planning to upload more information about the various options etc to our website.  In terms of liveries, what date or livery are you interested?  I have documented the changes/dates.

Thanks Ben.

Really I'd like help choosing between Yeoman, revised Yeoman, ARC, and Mendip rail - i.e. the earlier liveries. I don't think they'd be a directly prototypical loco for any layout I'm likely to build, so its a "rule 1" purchase, but if there was one livery more likely to have appeared east of London in the mid 90s-mid 00s, that might help sway the decision :)

Cheers

Justin

• Like 1

Live from the scene, 66526 leads 59004 past Westbury down yard on 7C77 Acton - Merehead.

IMG_20210812_162424-237.jpg.9f9101d469fa9475d81f4566626aaa11.jpg

For those who are DEMU members, the current Update issue (96) has an article by me about the Yeoman JHA wagons, which includes consists and explains some of the operational details.

Jo

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, justin1985 said:

Thanks Ben.

Really I'd like help choosing between Yeoman, revised Yeoman, ARC, and Mendip rail - i.e. the earlier liveries. I don't think they'd be a directly prototypical loco for any layout I'm likely to build, so its a "rule 1" purchase, but if there was one livery more likely to have appeared east of London in the mid 90s-mid 00s, that might help sway the decision :)

Cheers

Justin

Hi Justin

The Acton-Purfleet train was my go-to for action east of London. 

A quick glance at flickr threw up Foster Yeoman original livery in 1996:

59005 at Acton Yard. 2/4/96

Hanson in 2000:

and EWS in 2006:

59203 RNM 6V60 Purfleet-Acton Yard 16-6-06

But it seems clear from this that the Mendip pool could all be used, so TBH you could use any of the liveries you suggested.   

For the 59/0s FY original lasted until 2000, FY revised covers 1998-2019 and Ai first appeared in 2008, which may be slightly late for you.

For the 59/1s ARC lasted until 2000, with Hanson taking over from 1999.

cheers

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Equally 59001 is at Crawley New Yard currently, with a rake primarily of JYAs! I wasn’t quick enough for a photo though. 

It is a smart livery. 59001 currently carries a “30 years” plaque. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njee20 said:

59001 currently carries a “30 years” plaque

All the 59/0s except 005 carry it, it's a nice touch with the image made up of photos of the staff and locos across that time. A shame 005 and the 59/1s didn't gain it when they reached 30. Here's a good pic linked from Flickr. Applied in 2016

30 Years of Class 59's...

The Hanson livery is by far the longest lived, over than 59103 which has been painted again post accident, they were all done 1999 - 2000 and haven't been painted since. Althought the original Yeoman livery lasted more years, they had a repaint in the mid 90s. 

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 4

I love the look of the Alan J Day Mendip Rail livery but can't see it on the RevolutioN site to pre-order even though there is a image of it on the announcement.

I do have a habit of missing the obvious so maybe it's there.

Failing that I think I'll order a Aggregate Industries or Hanson livery.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Jupiter said:

I love the look of the Alan J Day Mendip Rail livery but can't see it on the RevolutioN site to pre-order even though there is a image of it on the announcement.

I do have a habit of missing the obvious so maybe it's there.

Failing that I think I'll order a Aggregate Industries or Hanson livery.

I also wanted the MRL version - I got clarification from Ben that it was not being offered in this initial batch - I think the livery diagrams showed all potential liveries, but not all liveries being offered.... possibly a retailer exclusive....

But like you, I decided Hanson and Agg Ind fit the bill, so that’s what I went with.... both :D !.... do it, you know you want to ;) !

• Like 2