Forum slow to load, internal links too.

Same issues here, which at first I kept thinking was the older iPad that I tend to look at the forum on. Hiwever, it runs absolutely fine on other web pages.

I've also had the message as reported by @Free At Last on 20 August.

In regard to running (glacially) slow or freezing, that can happen at any time of the day - even 3am GMT, when you would think (being a UK based site) it might be "quieter" in terms of traffic/demand etc.

Still my go-to place to unwind/relax, so frustrating that the forum itself becomes a source of frustration.

Hopefully these problems can be identified and resolved soon.

Steve S

• Agree 4

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen the problem on my own Macs ( I have a very fast connection) and on friends' PCs, on iOS devices, iPadOS devices and Android devices with Ethernet, WiFi and Mobile Data connections in use from different ISPs so I really do not believe that the problem is device or platform-related.

Sometimes logging out and logging back in again will improve matters briefly, but after a few minutes the problem usually returns if it is one of those days.

The fact that the problem is intermittent will make it extremely difficult to track down and resolve.

John

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Practically unusable during parts of today (Friday) with numerous errors, freezing and failing altogether. 

Laptop (Chrome on Windows 10) noticeably worse than Android mobile.

Someone needs to give the server a bit of Brummie Screwdriver (a.k.a. percussive maintenance) because something is seriously wrong.

• Agree 1

I have been plagued by pop-up [google] adverts appearing and blocking the screen, when I click on the various forum shortcuts.

Not just the ''unread content' icon, but the  messages icon, and even, going though the main menu!

This happens on the initial usage, and disappears after the 2nd or 3rd use of these shortcuts.

Very annoying indeed, as the  ads have to be physically 'closed' in order to continue.

On a PC using Windows 10, and the latest iteration of Chrome.

Come to think about it, there was a recent microsoft [windows] update, and subsequently my online baking has an issue with a bank fraud notice being slow to load, causing a failure of the login process.

I complained to my bank about it..as it followed one of their 'maintenance' episodes.

More of less dismissed as being 'my' current version of Chrome's fault.

But it happens on the other platforms as well.

So I wonder if some of the glitching is down to  updates?

16 hours ago, JeremyC said:

I wonder if these problems are partly caused by RmWeb becoming too big; in other words it's a victim of its own success.

I think that seems a little unlikely as, strangely, it often runs well at times when you might expect there to be most users online.

John

2 hours ago, alastairq said:

I have been plagued by pop-up [google] adverts appearing and blocking the screen, when I click on the various forum shortcuts.

Not just the ''unread content' icon, but the  messages icon, and even, going though the main menu!

This happens on the initial usage, and disappears after the 2nd or 3rd use of these shortcuts.

Very annoying indeed, as the  ads have to be physically 'closed' in order to continue.

On a PC using Windows 10, and the latest iteration of Chrome.

Come to think about it, there was a recent microsoft [windows] update, and subsequently my online baking has an issue with a bank fraud notice being slow to load, causing a failure of the login process.

I complained to my bank about it..as it followed one of their 'maintenance' episodes.

More of less dismissed as being 'my' current version of Chrome's fault.

But it happens on the other platforms as well.

So I wonder if some of the glitching is down to  updates?

Unfortunately, the blame is often placed on a particular browser or platform version because IT staff in Banks and other companies who create their own services on their web sites have not tested the services for compatibility with as many popular browsers, platforms or current OS versions as they should before releasing it. They have huge resources available but sometimes simply cannot be bothered to do their job properly.

With something like RMWeb it is a very different matter. RMWeb cannot be expected to have the resources available at the drop of a hat to solve these problems which are intermittent and thus very time-consuming to trace and fix. RMWeb is also reliant on a software vendor for the forum software and if they don't do their job well it places a big burden on people like Andy.

John

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Tried to log in on my iPhone this morning and had the white ad banner blocking the existing user sign in button.  After a few tries I found that if you press the new user button that isn’t obstructed you can get an existing user sign in option that isn’t obstructed.

Having RMWeb Gold once I’m logged in it’s add free.

I can understand the severe annoyance these ads are giving to those without Gold membership but I suspect the complaints are to people powerless to do anything about this and the advertising Nazis don’t care.

The only solution I can see is load some sort of add blocking software or go for gold membership.  

Darius

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Miss Prism said:

Forum speed is really up and down for me this morning. Sometimes it just sits there for ages with the loading twiddle doing its twiddling thing.

Could it be increased traffic from viewing the virtual exhibition?

CJI.

4 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Could it be increased traffic from viewing the virtual exhibition?

I doubt it. The exhibition was the weekend, when the Forum performed reasonably well for me.

One thing I have learned is that if the ads don't load properly, then nothing works. (A telltale sign is 'waiting for ...' in the browser bottom left-hand corner.)  Ad loading is always top priority in this kind of ad software.

Edited by Miss Prism

Just now, Miss Prism said:

I doubt it. The exhibition was the weekend, when the Forum performed reasonably well for me.

One thing I have learned is that if the ads don't load properly, then nothing works. Ad loading is always top priority in this kind of ad software.

I must have misunderstood - I thought that I'd read that Sunday's content would be accessible on Monday.

CJI.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Yes I thought I'd read that as well, but I can't see a banner for it this morning.

The highlights and layouts are available until the end of today - https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/virtual-exhibitions/world-of-railways-virtual-exhibition-part-iiii

• Thanks 1