8f,Princes Royal and Farish jubilee

Coal Tank

I thought that I would start a separate thread for these. It is my hope to have them at least on their wheels by this time next year. I thought that if I started a thread on them I might Actually apply myself. The princes may be the most difficult as not all of the fittings are available. Lets see what happens

John 

IMG_20210811_141603.jpg

IMG_20210811_141553.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/08/2021 at 13:32, Coal Tank said:

I thought that I would start a separate thread for these. It is my hope to have them at least on their wheels by this time next year. I thought that if I started a thread on them I might Actually apply myself. The princes may be the most difficult as not all of the fittings are available. Lets see what happens

John

Hi John,

those look great and I'll follow along as I want to build some locos.  I have the Black 5 kit but would like to get a Jubilee kit as well.  Where did you get your kits, and where will you source the chassis'?

Mike

Edited by Royal42

1 hour ago, Royal42 said:

Hi John,

those look great and I'll follow along as I want to build some locos.  I have the Black 5 kit but would like to get a Jubilee kit as well.  Where did you get your kits, and where will you source the chassis'?

Mike

Hi Mike 

The chassis for the Jubilee is from Nigel Hunt of this Parish, you can find his kits on the 2mm association web site. He's  a really nice guy and really helpful. Also have you looked ar Nicks video's on the association web site they are a must and so helpful

John 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

@Mike

currently William at VAG is offering a Jubilee chassis together with wheels and body. 

Have you already built a loco chassis with Walschaert´s gear? If not, you might probably face some difficulties at your first attempt. So it possibly is a good idea to get some practice first with less risk of loss and do the Black 5 later. 

Worsley Works are offering some Britannia and BR Class 5 chassis for little money. For soldering all these bits and pieces of motion work this is a good entry. These "scratch aid kits" are having some downsides for a newbie because you´ll have to invent your gearbox by yourself and see how to get a split frame. However, Nick´s videos will give good advice. And when you´ll suceed at first or second attempt you will find a body to fit on and show us proudly.

The one photo is showing that there is some milling and grinding necessary. Or planning in advance if you prefer. The other photo is showing a DelPrado body of a LMS coronation which is a bit coarse but you sometimes can get rather cheap. That just because you recently said that there are no attractive British models from that source.

@ John,

I´m pretty excited to see some locos with Walschaert´s gear growing here.

Will you build it in mid gear or do you intend to go the extra mile for moving radius rod?

I´ll be highly interested in watching. And I´m sure this will encourage me to get my locos ready as well.

best wishes

Klaus 

worsley chassis 2.jpg

DSC09109coronation.JPG

Edited by Klaus ojo
typo
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/08/2021 at 18:47, Coal Tank said:

Hi Mike 

The chassis for the Jubilee is from Nigel Hunt of this Parish, you can find his kits on the 2mm association web site. He's  a really nice guy and really helpful. Also have you looked ar Nicks video's on the association web site they are a must and so helpful

John 

Hi John,

I did contact Nigel back in July, at the recommendation of other members here ; however, Nigel advised me that he no longer has those etches.

cheers,
Mike

• RMweb Gold
On 13/08/2021 at 11:43, Klaus ojo said:

@Mike

currently William at VAG is offering a Jubilee chassis together with wheels and body. 

Have you already built a loco chassis with Walschaert´s gear? If not, you might probably face some difficulties at your first attempt. So it possibly is a good idea to get some practice first with less risk of loss and do the Black 5 later. 

Hello Klaus,

thanks for the advice about William's chassis offering, I am not yet a member of VAG although I have applied this evening, therefore I cannot reply or contact him on his offer yet.

I do realise the enormity of building the Black 5 as a first build and, so, I have held off whilst I learn with something simpler and have also bought the shunter kit as a starter.  The problem is that I am not a youngster by any means and, as such, I need to hit the ground running with this new modelling venture.

cheers,

Mike

Edited by Royal42
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, Royal42 said:

......... I am not yet a member of VAG although I have applied this evening, therefore I cannot reply or contact him on his offer yet.

Apologies for the delay, Mike, but I've been at a Forth & Clyde area group meeting all day today.  Application just approved.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Hello Jim,

Actually I thought that was a very quick approval to my application, thank you.

I have posted a response to William on VAG and hope for a positive outcome.

cheers,
Mike

Edited by Royal42